How to find out if my PC can connect wirelessly - Wireless

This is a discussion on How to find out if my PC can connect wirelessly - Wireless ; We have moved house and now wish to link our one PC to internet wirelessly. Have modem etc but not sure if PC is capable of connecting. How/where do I look to find out if it has a wireless card ...

  1. How to find out if my PC can connect wirelessly

    We have moved house and now wish to link our one PC to internet wirelessly.
    Have modem etc but not sure if PC is capable of connecting.

    How/where do I look to find out if it has a wireless card plesae. One item
    I read said look for icon in Control Panle - but don't know what the icon
    should look like.
    Plus if it isn't capable - what do I need to buy.

    Hope somoneone can hlep - thansk.

  2. Re: How to find out if my PC can connect wirelessly

    On 13-Apr-2007, =?Utf-8?B?YmFmZmxlZDMy?= wrote:

    > How/where do I look to find out if it has a wireless card plesae.

    If XP try Control Panel then Computer Management then
    Administrative Tools then Device Manager then right hand
    pane Network Devices.
    If you have an installed wireless device it should show there.

    Note if it's a laptop, wireless devices sometimes are
    switched off but (in theory) should still show.
    Very unlikely is the situation where you have an
    uninstalled or improperly installed wireless device.
    In this situation I would expect to see it in Network
    Devices with a warning icon, or a message new
    hardware found.
    If you haven't got a network device you can go for
    a wireless adapter. I like USB wireless adapters
    since you can move them on the end of the USB
    cable to get the best signal.
    Cards with aerials can get screened by the case
    being between the aerial and the access point.
    But it's horses for courses, each has its
    advocates.

  3. Re: How to find out if my PC can connect wirelessly

    Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "baffled32" wrote in message
    > We have moved house and now wish to link our one PC to internet
    > wirelessly.
    > Have modem etc but not sure if PC is capable of connecting.
    >
    > How/where do I look to find out if it has a wireless card plesae. One
    > item
    > I read said look for icon in Control Panle - but don't know what the icon
    > should look like.
    > Plus if it isn't capable - what do I need to buy.
    >
    > Hope somoneone can hlep - thansk.

  4. Re: How to find out if my PC can connect wirelessly

    Thanks so much - so obvious when you know how!

    "ato_zee@hotmail.com" wrote:

    > On 13-Apr-2007, =?Utf-8?B?YmFmZmxlZDMy?= wrote:
    >
    > > How/where do I look to find out if it has a wireless card plesae.

    > If XP try Control Panel then Computer Management then
    > Administrative Tools then Device Manager then right hand
    > pane Network Devices.
    > If you have an installed wireless device it should show there.
    >
    > Note if it's a laptop, wireless devices sometimes are
    > switched off but (in theory) should still show.
    > Very unlikely is the situation where you have an
    > uninstalled or improperly installed wireless device.
    > In this situation I would expect to see it in Network
    > Devices with a warning icon, or a message new
    > hardware found.
    > If you haven't got a network device you can go for
    > a wireless adapter. I like USB wireless adapters
    > since you can move them on the end of the USB
    > cable to get the best signal.
    > Cards with aerials can get screened by the case
    > being between the aerial and the access point.
    > But it's horses for courses, each has its
    > advocates.

+ Reply to Thread