First time Home network direction needed - Wireless

This is a discussion on First time Home network direction needed - Wireless ; I have a 3 yr old E-Machine, with Windows XP. Soon will arrive my new Dell notebook and router. I want to create a wireless network for my notebook, share the printer and folders (direct ethernet desktop to router). I've ...

  1. First time Home network direction needed

    I have a 3 yr old E-Machine, with Windows XP. Soon will arrive my new Dell
    notebook and router. I want to create a wireless network for my notebook,
    share the printer and folders (direct ethernet desktop to router). I've done
    some homework. My current issue is sequence of events. Most advise to start a
    network on my XP desktop, then add the printer, notebook and folders.

    1. Wouldnt it be wiser to create the network on my Vista notebook first? I
    know I'll have to get my DSL working first on the notebook, by direct
    ethernet.

    2. With XP or Vista, can I begin with 'Windows Connect Now'?

    3. I'm not sure WHEN I connect the router and run the router software?
    After I've established the initial 1 computer network (on XP or Vista)?

    Thanks!
    --
    Praise the Lord! Cass M.

  2. Re: First time Home network direction needed

    Hi
    Each computer Network capacity is independent so it does not matter which
    OS you start with.
    However you have to start with the wired computer (
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#onewire ). Once it connects to the Router, and you
    have Internet you can attend to the Wireless.
    You can find on this site a collection of pages that might help,
    http://www.ezlan.net
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "CassM" wrote in message

    > I have a 3 yr old E-Machine, with Windows XP. Soon will arrive my new Dell
    > notebook and router. I want to create a wireless network for my notebook,
    > share the printer and folders (direct ethernet desktop to router). I've
    > done
    > some homework. My current issue is sequence of events. Most advise to
    > start a
    > network on my XP desktop, then add the printer, notebook and folders.
    >
    > 1. Wouldnt it be wiser to create the network on my Vista notebook first? I
    > know I'll have to get my DSL working first on the notebook, by direct
    > ethernet.
    >
    > 2. With XP or Vista, can I begin with 'Windows Connect Now'?
    >
    > 3. I'm not sure WHEN I connect the router and run the router software?
    > After I've established the initial 1 computer network (on XP or Vista)?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > Praise the Lord! Cass M.

+ Reply to Thread