Cannot get printer working - Wireless

This is a discussion on Cannot get printer working - Wireless ; I have a small wireless network with three computers and a Linksys router. It is working fine, that is I can connect to the internet and from one computer to the other. I can also print on either of two ...

  1. Cannot get printer working

    I have a small wireless network with three computers and a Linksys router.
    It is working fine, that is I can connect to the internet and from one
    computer to the other. I can also print on either of two printers connected
    to the computer by USB.
    One of the computers is a Brother MFC-640CW, equipped for USB or Wireless.
    I have been using it connected to one computer by USB and it works fine. I
    wanted to change to the Wireless connection so that I could move it. The
    method of setting it up for wireless is fairly complicated but very clearly
    explained by Brother on their web-site. And followed the procedure, it
    found the Network SSID. I keyed in the WEP Key and it accepted it and I
    received the message on the LED -"Connected". But I still have not been
    able to print anything. The print items just stick in the print queue. I
    assumed I would have to add a printer and did so- adding the Brother this
    time as a Network printer, but I still cannot print anything.

    Anybody know what I am doing wrong ?. In general I am delighted with the
    printer.

    Stuart

  2. Re: Cannot get printer working

    Hi
    Once you switch to Wireless the Printer probably becomes a Network Printer.
    You have to install the Brother's Printing Network Drivers on all networked
    computers.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Stuart Grant" wrote in message
    >I have a small wireless network with three computers and a Linksys router.
    >It is working fine, that is I can connect to the internet and from one
    >computer to the other. I can also print on either of two printers
    >connected to the computer by USB.
    > One of the computers is a Brother MFC-640CW, equipped for USB or Wireless.
    > I have been using it connected to one computer by USB and it works fine.
    > I wanted to change to the Wireless connection so that I could move it.
    > The method of setting it up for wireless is fairly complicated but very
    > clearly explained by Brother on their web-site. And followed the
    > procedure, it found the Network SSID. I keyed in the WEP Key and it
    > accepted it and I received the message on the LED -"Connected". But I
    > still have not been able to print anything. The print items just stick in
    > the print queue. I assumed I would have to add a printer and did so-
    > adding the Brother this time as a Network printer, but I still cannot
    > print anything.
    >
    > Anybody know what I am doing wrong ?. In general I am delighted with the
    > printer.
    >
    > Stuart

  3. Re: Cannot get printer working

    Jack
    Thank you for your advice. I had difficulty trying to find the network
    drivers on the Brother web-site but their Help in Switzerland pointed me in
    the right direction and I found it and installed it. Now works.

    Thanks again

    Stuart

    > Hi
    > Once you switch to Wireless the Printer probably becomes a Network
    > Printer. You have to install the Brother's Printing Network Drivers on all
    > networked computers.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Stuart Grant" wrote in message
    >>I have a small wireless network with three computers and a Linksys router.
    >>It is working fine, that is I can connect to the internet and from one
    >>computer to the other. I can also print on either of two printers
    >>connected to the computer by USB.
    >> One of the computers is a Brother MFC-640CW, equipped for USB or
    >> Wireless. I have been using it connected to one computer by USB and it
    >> works fine. I wanted to change to the Wireless connection so that I could
    >> move it. The method of setting it up for wireless is fairly complicated
    >> but very clearly explained by Brother on their web-site. And followed
    >> the procedure, it found the Network SSID. I keyed in the WEP Key and it
    >> accepted it and I received the message on the LED -"Connected". But I
    >> still have not been able to print anything. The print items just stick
    >> in the print queue. I assumed I would have to add a printer and did so-
    >> adding the Brother this time as a Network printer, but I still cannot
    >> print anything.
    >>
    >> Anybody know what I am doing wrong ?. In general I am delighted with the
    >> printer.
    >>
    >> Stuart

+ Reply to Thread