internet connection icon - Wireless

This is a discussion on internet connection icon - Wireless ; LS, recently I changed my old ADSL router/modem (SpeedTouch570i) for a new one (SpeedTouch780WL(i)). Strange enough an new/additional icon appeared in the list of network connections (Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections) designated Internet Connection. What is the purpose ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: internet connection icon

  1. internet connection icon

    LS,
    recently I changed my old ADSL router/modem (SpeedTouch570i) for a new one
    (SpeedTouch780WL(i)).
    Strange enough an new/additional icon appeared in the list of network
    connections (Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections) designated
    Internet Connection.
    What is the purpose of this icon (what does it add?)?
    Sometimes it just does not reappear after a reboot although the internet
    connection is working fine.
    On another laptop in the same network clicking the Internet Connection icon
    fails to open the dialogue screen at the same time.
    Is there an explanation for this behaviour and how can I make it (dis)appear?

    --
    Kind regards,

    René Meijn
    Hoeven
    The Netherlands

  2. Re: internet connection icon

    Hi
    The Icons in the Network Connections Area represent active connection
    socket.
    If (as an example) a computer has installed a DialUp Modem, a Wired card,
    and a Wireless Card, three icons would appear in the Network Connections
    area, regardless of which one you actually use.
    Example, http://www.ezlan.net/example/nets.jpg
    I do not know what is installed on you computer, but the above should
    correspond to Network Devices that appear in the Device Manager,
    http://www.ezlan.net/example/dm_ok.jpg
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "R. Meijn" wrote in message
    news:06F2C6AD-3856-4CE6-BDA1-9C273CFFA68A@microsoft.com...
    > LS,
    > recently I changed my old ADSL router/modem (SpeedTouch570i) for a new one
    > (SpeedTouch780WL(i)).
    > Strange enough an new/additional icon appeared in the list of network
    > connections (Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections) designated
    > Internet Connection.
    > What is the purpose of this icon (what does it add?)?
    > Sometimes it just does not reappear after a reboot although the internet
    > connection is working fine.
    > On another laptop in the same network clicking the Internet Connection
    > icon
    > fails to open the dialogue screen at the same time.
    > Is there an explanation for this behaviour and how can I make it
    > (dis)appear?
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > René Meijn
    > Hoeven
    > The Netherlands




  3. Re: internet connection icon

    Thanks for your swift reponse Jack.
    Indeed I do have an icon named 'Wireless Network Connection' which correctly
    is linked to my USB Client (SpeedTouch 121g) while in Device Manager
    correctly depicts this hardware.
    The thing is that there is now (sometimes) an additional icon in Start >
    Settings > Network Connections which is designated 'Internet Connection'
    (icon with monitor and globe).
    Currently it just does not happen to be there but I recall when clicking on
    it, it refers to the Internet Gateway.
    So still: what is it, why isn't it there all the time, what is it for, how
    can I make it (dis-)appear?
    I would appreciate any explanation.

    --
    Kind regards,

    René Meijn
    Hoeven
    The Netherlands


    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > The Icons in the Network Connections Area represent active connection
    > socket.
    > If (as an example) a computer has installed a DialUp Modem, a Wired card,
    > and a Wireless Card, three icons would appear in the Network Connections
    > area, regardless of which one you actually use.
    > Example, http://www.ezlan.net/example/nets.jpg
    > I do not know what is installed on you computer, but the above should
    > correspond to Network Devices that appear in the Device Manager,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/example/dm_ok.jpg
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "R. Meijn" wrote in message
    > news:06F2C6AD-3856-4CE6-BDA1-9C273CFFA68A@microsoft.com...
    > > LS,
    > > recently I changed my old ADSL router/modem (SpeedTouch570i) for a new one
    > > (SpeedTouch780WL(i)).
    > > Strange enough an new/additional icon appeared in the list of network
    > > connections (Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections) designated
    > > Internet Connection.
    > > What is the purpose of this icon (what does it add?)?
    > > Sometimes it just does not reappear after a reboot although the internet
    > > connection is working fine.
    > > On another laptop in the same network clicking the Internet Connection
    > > icon
    > > fails to open the dialogue screen at the same time.
    > > Is there an explanation for this behaviour and how can I make it
    > > (dis)appear?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Kind regards,
    > >
    > > René Meijn
    > > Hoeven
    > > The Netherlands

    >
    >
    >


  4. Re: internet connection icon


    On 11-Apr-2007, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." wrote:

    > If (as an example) a computer has installed a DialUp Modem, a Wired card,
    > and a Wireless Card, three icons would appear in the Network Connections
    > area, regardless of which one you actually use.


    And with a VPN you get a similar icon with two screens side by side.
    A wireless adapter has one screen with the curved arcs to indicate
    wireless.
    So with wireless and VPN you have two icons and 3 screens, single one
    for wireless, double screen for VPN.
    Maybe if I fire up my modem I'll get 4 icons, modem, VPN (2 screens),
    and wireless USB adapter.
    Put in my PCI wired ethernet 10/100 card maybe 5.

  5. Re: internet connection icon


    On 11-Apr-2007, =?Utf-8?B?Ui4gTWVpam4=?=
    wrote:

    > Currently it just does not happen to be there but I recall when clicking on
    > it, it refers to the Internet Gateway.
    > So still: what is it, why isn't it there all the time, what is it for, how
    > can I make it (dis-)appear?
    > I would appreciate any explanation.


    Any connection with file sharing?

    I did find

    Connected to Internet

    Notice the tiny globe, indicating connection to the internet. Mousing over the icon
    will also show the popup window, which will tell you exactly what you have access to.

  6. Re: internet connection icon

    Hi
    The OP is talking about "Control Panel/Network Connections", he did not
    mentioned Icons in the Tray Bar.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    wrote in message
    news:2pidne5ahpAk0YDbnZ2dnUVZ8tChnZ2d@pipex.net...
    >
    > On 11-Apr-2007, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > wrote:
    >
    >> If (as an example) a computer has installed a DialUp Modem, a Wired card,
    >> and a Wireless Card, three icons would appear in the Network Connections
    >> area, regardless of which one you actually use.

    >
    > And with a VPN you get a similar icon with two screens side by side.
    > A wireless adapter has one screen with the curved arcs to indicate
    > wireless.
    > So with wireless and VPN you have two icons and 3 screens, single one
    > for wireless, double screen for VPN.
    > Maybe if I fire up my modem I'll get 4 icons, modem, VPN (2 screens),
    > and wireless USB adapter.
    > Put in my PCI wired ethernet 10/100 card maybe 5.




  7. Re: internet connection icon

    Correct, I am referring to the Internet Gateway which is not shown in the
    tray bar but listed under network connections.
    Sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not; in both cases internet
    functions well.
    Who can explain its purpose and function?
    Thanks in advance!

    --
    Kind regards,

    René Meijn
    Hoeven
    The Netherlands


    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > The OP is talking about "Control Panel/Network Connections", he did not
    > mentioned Icons in the Tray Bar.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > wrote in message
    > news:2pidne5ahpAk0YDbnZ2dnUVZ8tChnZ2d@pipex.net...
    > >
    > > On 11-Apr-2007, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> If (as an example) a computer has installed a DialUp Modem, a Wired card,
    > >> and a Wireless Card, three icons would appear in the Network Connections
    > >> area, regardless of which one you actually use.

    > >
    > > And with a VPN you get a similar icon with two screens side by side.
    > > A wireless adapter has one screen with the curved arcs to indicate
    > > wireless.
    > > So with wireless and VPN you have two icons and 3 screens, single one
    > > for wireless, double screen for VPN.
    > > Maybe if I fire up my modem I'll get 4 icons, modem, VPN (2 screens),
    > > and wireless USB adapter.
    > > Put in my PCI wired ethernet 10/100 card maybe 5.

    >
    >
    >


  8. Re: internet connection icon

    R. Meijn wrote:
    > Correct, I am referring to the Internet Gateway which is not shown in the
    > tray bar but listed under network connections.
    > Sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not; in both cases internet
    > functions well.
    > Who can explain its purpose and function?
    > Thanks in advance!
    >

    The "Internet Gateway" that appears in Network Connections is your
    router. This icon lets you configure your router without having to
    access the router's web interface. The icon appears if you have UPnP
    and the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client enabled for
    both the router and your computer. See, e.g.,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821371

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

  9. Re: internet connection icon

    Right!
    This answers the question I intended to pose; thanks Lem!

    But, still the "Internet Gateway" option in Network Connections has
    disappeared and remains absent.
    What is the reason for this and how can I activate it again?

    Reading the referenced KB-article I tried to install additional Networking
    Services, UPnP User Interface, following the procedure as outlined by
    Microsoft.
    Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client appears to be installed
    (by default, box checked).
    UPnP User Interface is not installed.
    However, during installation it says "Setup cannot copy the file upnpui.dll"
    - "Ensure the location specified below is correct or change it and insert
    Windows Professional XP Service Pack 2 CD in the drive you specify".
    Strange enough the location (C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386) is correct as
    the file upnpui.dll is located there.
    Inserting the SP2 CD does not solve the problem; the installer still does
    not find the required file.
    How to solve the problem and install this additional component.

    --
    Kind regards,

    René Meijn
    Hoeven
    The Netherlands


    "Lem" wrote:

    > R. Meijn wrote:
    > > Correct, I am referring to the Internet Gateway which is not shown in the
    > > tray bar but listed under network connections.
    > > Sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not; in both cases internet
    > > functions well.
    > > Who can explain its purpose and function?
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >

    > The "Internet Gateway" that appears in Network Connections is your
    > router. This icon lets you configure your router without having to
    > access the router's web interface. The icon appears if you have UPnP
    > and the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client enabled for
    > both the router and your computer. See, e.g.,
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821371
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >
    > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >


  10. Re: internet connection icon

    Some additional information.
    In Administrative Tools > Services, the service Universal Plug and Play
    Device Host was not started.
    I started this manually; no change (reboot required?).
    Should this service be started or stopped by default?

    --
    Kind regards,

    René Meijn
    Hoeven
    The Netherlands


    "R. Meijn" wrote:

    > Right!
    > This answers the question I intended to pose; thanks Lem!
    >
    > But, still the "Internet Gateway" option in Network Connections has
    > disappeared and remains absent.
    > What is the reason for this and how can I activate it again?
    >
    > Reading the referenced KB-article I tried to install additional Networking
    > Services, UPnP User Interface, following the procedure as outlined by
    > Microsoft.
    > Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client appears to be installed
    > (by default, box checked).
    > UPnP User Interface is not installed.
    > However, during installation it says "Setup cannot copy the file upnpui.dll"
    > - "Ensure the location specified below is correct or change it and insert
    > Windows Professional XP Service Pack 2 CD in the drive you specify".
    > Strange enough the location (C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386) is correct as
    > the file upnpui.dll is located there.
    > Inserting the SP2 CD does not solve the problem; the installer still does
    > not find the required file.
    > How to solve the problem and install this additional component.
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > René Meijn
    > Hoeven
    > The Netherlands
    >
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    > > R. Meijn wrote:
    > > > Correct, I am referring to the Internet Gateway which is not shown in the
    > > > tray bar but listed under network connections.
    > > > Sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not; in both cases internet
    > > > functions well.
    > > > Who can explain its purpose and function?
    > > > Thanks in advance!
    > > >

    > > The "Internet Gateway" that appears in Network Connections is your
    > > router. This icon lets you configure your router without having to
    > > access the router's web interface. The icon appears if you have UPnP
    > > and the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client enabled for
    > > both the router and your computer. See, e.g.,
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821371
    > >
    > > --
    > > Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    > >
    > > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    > >


  11. Re: internet connection icon

    For today my final observation.
    Internet Connection icon under Network Connections was retrieved after
    rebooting the router/modem.
    Still cannot installa UPnP User Interface.

    --
    Kind regards,

    René Meijn
    Hoeven
    The Netherlands


    "R. Meijn" wrote:

    > Some additional information.
    > In Administrative Tools > Services, the service Universal Plug and Play
    > Device Host was not started.
    > I started this manually; no change (reboot required?).
    > Should this service be started or stopped by default?
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > René Meijn
    > Hoeven
    > The Netherlands
    >
    >
    > "R. Meijn" wrote:
    >
    > > Right!
    > > This answers the question I intended to pose; thanks Lem!
    > >
    > > But, still the "Internet Gateway" option in Network Connections has
    > > disappeared and remains absent.
    > > What is the reason for this and how can I activate it again?
    > >
    > > Reading the referenced KB-article I tried to install additional Networking
    > > Services, UPnP User Interface, following the procedure as outlined by
    > > Microsoft.
    > > Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client appears to be installed
    > > (by default, box checked).
    > > UPnP User Interface is not installed.
    > > However, during installation it says "Setup cannot copy the file upnpui.dll"
    > > - "Ensure the location specified below is correct or change it and insert
    > > Windows Professional XP Service Pack 2 CD in the drive you specify".
    > > Strange enough the location (C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386) is correct as
    > > the file upnpui.dll is located there.
    > > Inserting the SP2 CD does not solve the problem; the installer still does
    > > not find the required file.
    > > How to solve the problem and install this additional component.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Kind regards,
    > >
    > > René Meijn
    > > Hoeven
    > > The Netherlands
    > >
    > >
    > > "Lem" wrote:
    > >
    > > > R. Meijn wrote:
    > > > > Correct, I am referring to the Internet Gateway which is not shown in the
    > > > > tray bar but listed under network connections.
    > > > > Sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not; in both cases internet
    > > > > functions well.
    > > > > Who can explain its purpose and function?
    > > > > Thanks in advance!
    > > > >
    > > > The "Internet Gateway" that appears in Network Connections is your
    > > > router. This icon lets you configure your router without having to
    > > > access the router's web interface. The icon appears if you have UPnP
    > > > and the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client enabled for
    > > > both the router and your computer. See, e.g.,
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821371
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    > > >
    > > > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    > > >


  12. Re: internet connection icon

    R. Meijn wrote:
    > For today my final observation.
    > Internet Connection icon under Network Connections was retrieved after
    > rebooting the router/modem.
    > Still cannot installa UPnP User Interface.
    >

    René

    I don't use uPnP or the "Internet Connection Gateway" myself.

    I don't know why setup couldn't copy upnpui.dll. If you are still
    experiencing problems, try posting again with a new subject, such as
    "uPnP setup can't copy upnpui.dll". You might also try posting this
    question in the windowsxp.general newsgroup (or cross-posting to both
    groups with one post -- because you are using the web interface, use the
    "advanced options" and enter microsoft.public.windowsxp.general).

    As the MS KB article notes, uPnP has to be enabled both in the router
    and the computer. Perhaps it had been turned off in the router and
    re-booting the router started it up again.

    Remember -- you don't need to use this icon to configure your
    modem/router. You can do it the "old fashioned way" -- access its web
    interface using a browser.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

  13. Re: internet connection icon

    Hi
    I think that the whole approach is backward the existence of a neutral Icon
    is Not a functional problem and there is No point to waste time and risk a
    working configuration. If you need uPnP find out what needs it and configure
    it correctly, if you do don't need uPnP disable it in Windows and in the
    Router and the Icon would go.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Lem" wrote in message
    news:OW$0HWqfHHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    > R. Meijn wrote:
    >> For today my final observation.
    >> Internet Connection icon under Network Connections was retrieved after
    >> rebooting the router/modem.
    >> Still cannot installa UPnP User Interface.
    >>

    > René
    >
    > I don't use uPnP or the "Internet Connection Gateway" myself.
    >
    > I don't know why setup couldn't copy upnpui.dll. If you are still
    > experiencing problems, try posting again with a new subject, such as "uPnP
    > setup can't copy upnpui.dll". You might also try posting this question in
    > the windowsxp.general newsgroup (or cross-posting to both groups with one
    > post -- because you are using the web interface, use the "advanced
    > options" and enter microsoft.public.windowsxp.general).
    >
    > As the MS KB article notes, uPnP has to be enabled both in the router and
    > the computer. Perhaps it had been turned off in the router and re-booting
    > the router started it up again.
    >
    > Remember -- you don't need to use this icon to configure your
    > modem/router. You can do it the "old fashioned way" -- access its web
    > interface using a browser.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    >
    > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer




  14. Re: internet connection icon

    Jack,
    I think you are right; the configuration works right now.
    I was just wondering if I could easily add some functionality, but, on the
    other hand, I think I will just leave it as is.
    Thanks for the advice.

    --
    Kind regards,

    René Meijn
    Hoeven
    The Netherlands


    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > I think that the whole approach is backward the existence of a neutral Icon
    > is Not a functional problem and there is No point to waste time and risk a
    > working configuration. If you need uPnP find out what needs it and configure
    > it correctly, if you do don't need uPnP disable it in Windows and in the
    > Router and the Icon would go.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Lem" wrote in message
    > news:OW$0HWqfHHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    > > R. Meijn wrote:
    > >> For today my final observation.
    > >> Internet Connection icon under Network Connections was retrieved after
    > >> rebooting the router/modem.
    > >> Still cannot installa UPnP User Interface.
    > >>

    > > René
    > >
    > > I don't use uPnP or the "Internet Connection Gateway" myself.
    > >
    > > I don't know why setup couldn't copy upnpui.dll. If you are still
    > > experiencing problems, try posting again with a new subject, such as "uPnP
    > > setup can't copy upnpui.dll". You might also try posting this question in
    > > the windowsxp.general newsgroup (or cross-posting to both groups with one
    > > post -- because you are using the web interface, use the "advanced
    > > options" and enter microsoft.public.windowsxp.general).
    > >
    > > As the MS KB article notes, uPnP has to be enabled both in the router and
    > > the computer. Perhaps it had been turned off in the router and re-booting
    > > the router started it up again.
    > >
    > > Remember -- you don't need to use this icon to configure your
    > > modem/router. You can do it the "old fashioned way" -- access its web
    > > interface using a browser.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    > >
    > > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

    >
    >
    >


+ Reply to Thread