Wireless PC cannot see non wireless workgroup - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless PC cannot see non wireless workgroup - Wireless ; I have a network of 5 PC's, one is wireless, the other 4 connected via a hub. The hub is connected to a router. The router is also wireless enabled therfore the wireless pc connects via that route, but the ...

  1. Wireless PC cannot see non wireless workgroup

    I have a network of 5 PC's, one is wireless, the other 4 connected via a hub.
    The hub is connected to a router. The router is also wireless enabled
    therfore the wireless pc connects via that route, but the wireless pc for
    some reason cannot see the workgroup and hence open shared files etc on the
    network. It is saying - you may not have permissions. This worked fine until
    i needed to renew the router due to a fault, it is the same type of router. I
    am thinking it is because the wireless pc attaches to the wireless network on
    start up but i still thought it would see the other workgroupo via the
    router. Any clues what i may have done wrong would be very much appreciated.

  2. Re: Wireless PC cannot see non wireless workgroup

    Post the output of the "ipconfig /all" command from a working workstation
    and your non-working laptop.

    How, exactly, are you trying to "see" the other computers from your laptop.

    Also, make sure the laptop has the same workgroup name as the other PCs.

    -Frank

    "Khartoum" wrote in message
    >I have a network of 5 PC's, one is wireless, the other 4 connected via a
    >hub.
    > The hub is connected to a router. The router is also wireless enabled
    > therfore the wireless pc connects via that route, but the wireless pc for
    > some reason cannot see the workgroup and hence open shared files etc on
    > the
    > network. It is saying - you may not have permissions. This worked fine
    > until
    > i needed to renew the router due to a fault, it is the same type of
    > router. I
    > am thinking it is because the wireless pc attaches to the wireless network
    > on
    > start up but i still thought it would see the other workgroupo via the
    > router. Any clues what i may have done wrong would be very much
    > appreciated.

  3. Re: Wireless PC cannot see non wireless workgroup

    Hi
    Assuming that all the computers have an IP assigned by the Router's DHCP and
    are in the same Network group.
    settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment of
    each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Khartoum" wrote in message
    >I have a network of 5 PC's, one is wireless, the other 4 connected via a
    >hub.
    > The hub is connected to a router. The router is also wireless enabled
    > therfore the wireless pc connects via that route, but the wireless pc for
    > some reason cannot see the workgroup and hence open shared files etc on
    > the
    > network. It is saying - you may not have permissions. This worked fine
    > until
    > i needed to renew the router due to a fault, it is the same type of
    > router. I
    > am thinking it is because the wireless pc attaches to the wireless network
    > on
    > start up but i still thought it would see the other workgroupo via the
    > router. Any clues what i may have done wrong would be very much
    > appreciated.

  4. Re: Wireless PC cannot see non wireless workgroup

    Hi jack, i have been into the router to check they were all assigned ip
    addresses and they were. They are all in the same network group. I have set
    up all the shares. Thats why i am baffled, it was working fine until i
    replaced the router with a new one, not done anything different. i was
    wondering whether the wireless settings in any way can affect it

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Assuming that all the computers have an IP assigned by the Router's DHCP and
    > are in the same Network group.
    > settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment of
    > each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > Basic XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    > Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Khartoum" wrote in message
    > >I have a network of 5 PC's, one is wireless, the other 4 connected via a
    > >hub.
    > > The hub is connected to a router. The router is also wireless enabled
    > > therfore the wireless pc connects via that route, but the wireless pc for
    > > some reason cannot see the workgroup and hence open shared files etc on
    > > the
    > > network. It is saying - you may not have permissions. This worked fine
    > > until
    > > i needed to renew the router due to a fault, it is the same type of
    > > router. I
    > > am thinking it is because the wireless pc attaches to the wireless network
    > > on
    > > start up but i still thought it would see the other workgroupo via the
    > > router. Any clues what i may have done wrong would be very much
    > > appreciated.

  5. Re: Wireless PC cannot see non wireless workgroup

    They are all in same workgroup, they are all assigned ip addresses from
    router. The shares are all set up in a share point. it worked prior to
    replacing the router but i have the settings all the same so am baffled

    "Frankster" wrote:

    > Post the output of the "ipconfig /all" command from a working workstation
    > and your non-working laptop.
    >
    > How, exactly, are you trying to "see" the other computers from your laptop.
    >
    > Also, make sure the laptop has the same workgroup name as the other PCs.
    >
    > -Frank
    >
    > "Khartoum" wrote in message
    > >I have a network of 5 PC's, one is wireless, the other 4 connected via a
    > >hub.
    > > The hub is connected to a router. The router is also wireless enabled
    > > therfore the wireless pc connects via that route, but the wireless pc for
    > > some reason cannot see the workgroup and hence open shared files etc on
    > > the
    > > network. It is saying - you may not have permissions. This worked fine
    > > until
    > > i needed to renew the router due to a fault, it is the same type of
    > > router. I
    > > am thinking it is because the wireless pc attaches to the wireless network
    > > on
    > > start up but i still thought it would see the other workgroupo via the
    > > router. Any clues what i may have done wrong would be very much
    > > appreciated.

  6. Re: Wireless PC cannot see non wireless workgroup

    What about my first two requests?

    -Frank

    "Khartoum" wrote in message
    > They are all in same workgroup, they are all assigned ip addresses from
    > router. The shares are all set up in a share point. it worked prior to
    > replacing the router but i have the settings all the same so am baffled
    >

    > "Frankster" wrote:
    >
    >> Post the output of the "ipconfig /all" command from a working workstation
    >> and your non-working laptop.
    >>
    >> How, exactly, are you trying to "see" the other computers from your
    >> laptop.
    >>
    >> Also, make sure the laptop has the same workgroup name as the other PCs.
    >>
    >> -Frank
    >>
    >> "Khartoum" wrote in message
    >> >I have a network of 5 PC's, one is wireless, the other 4 connected via a
    >> >hub.
    >> > The hub is connected to a router. The router is also wireless enabled
    >> > therfore the wireless pc connects via that route, but the wireless pc
    >> > for
    >> > some reason cannot see the workgroup and hence open shared files etc on
    >> > the
    >> > network. It is saying - you may not have permissions. This worked fine
    >> > until
    >> > i needed to renew the router due to a fault, it is the same type of
    >> > router. I
    >> > am thinking it is because the wireless pc attaches to the wireless
    >> > network
    >> > on
    >> > start up but i still thought it would see the other workgroupo via the
    >> > router. Any clues what i may have done wrong would be very much
    >> > appreciated.

  7. Re: Wireless PC cannot see non wireless workgroup

    Hi
    Wireless settings should not affect sharing unless there is some issues with
    the Router per-se.
    Look at the Router's Brand support site, if there is a updated firmware
    update the Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Khartoum" wrote in message
    > Hi jack, i have been into the router to check they were all assigned ip
    > addresses and they were. They are all in the same network group. I have
    > set
    > up all the shares. Thats why i am baffled, it was working fine until i
    > replaced the router with a new one, not done anything different. i was
    > wondering whether the wireless settings in any way can affect it
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Assuming that all the computers have an IP assigned by the Router's DHCP
    >> and
    >> are in the same Network group.
    >> Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
    >> settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment
    >> of
    >> each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    >> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    >> Basic XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    >> Advanced XP -
    >> Printer Sharing XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx
    >> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Khartoum" wrote in message
    >> >I have a network of 5 PC's, one is wireless, the other 4 connected via a
    >> >hub.
    >> > The hub is connected to a router. The router is also wireless enabled
    >> > therfore the wireless pc connects via that route, but the wireless pc
    >> > for
    >> > some reason cannot see the workgroup and hence open shared files etc on
    >> > the
    >> > network. It is saying - you may not have permissions. This worked fine
    >> > until
    >> > i needed to renew the router due to a fault, it is the same type of
    >> > router. I
    >> > am thinking it is because the wireless pc attaches to the wireless
    >> > network
    >> > on
    >> > start up but i still thought it would see the other workgroupo via the
    >> > router. Any clues what i may have done wrong would be very much
    >> > appreciated.

  8. Re: Wireless PC cannot see non wireless workgroup

    I did upgrade firmware when i installed router but i'll check it was most
    recent
    thansk

+ Reply to Thread