File Sharing - Wireless

This is a discussion on File Sharing - Wireless ; I have set up several folders I want to share on my HP Media Center PC m385c with SP2. I also have a laptop that is a Dell Inspiron 1200 with SP2. They both run Norton Antivirus, and Windows Firewall. ...

  1. File Sharing

    I have set up several folders I want to share on my HP Media Center PC m385c
    with SP2. I also have a laptop that is a Dell Inspiron 1200 with SP2. They
    both run Norton Antivirus, and Windows Firewall. However I can only access 1
    of the 4 folders shared by this. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but any
    help would be appreciated.

    -Alex

  2. Re: File Sharing

    Hi
    settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment of
    each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Alex" wrote in message
    >I have set up several folders I want to share on my HP Media Center PC
    >m385c
    > with SP2. I also have a laptop that is a Dell Inspiron 1200 with SP2.
    > They
    > both run Norton Antivirus, and Windows Firewall. However I can only
    > access 1
    > of the 4 folders shared by this. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but
    > any
    > help would be appreciated.
    >
    > -Alex

  3. Re: File Sharing

    Ok i've looked at all these websites, and I'm not too sure what the problem
    is. I have selected these folders to share and they appear in my network
    connections folder, but I cannot access them from my laptop.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment of
    > each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > Basic XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    > Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Alex" wrote in message
    > >I have set up several folders I want to share on my HP Media Center PC
    > >m385c
    > > with SP2. I also have a laptop that is a Dell Inspiron 1200 with SP2.
    > > They
    > > both run Norton Antivirus, and Windows Firewall. However I can only
    > > access 1
    > > of the 4 folders shared by this. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but
    > > any
    > > help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > -Alex

  4. Re: File Sharing

    "Alex" wrote in message
    >I have set up several folders I want to share on my HP Media Center PC
    >m385c
    > with SP2. I also have a laptop that is a Dell Inspiron 1200 with SP2.
    > They
    > both run Norton Antivirus, and Windows Firewall. However I can only
    > access 1
    > of the 4 folders shared by this. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but
    > any
    > help would be appreciated.
    >
    > -Alex

    What error is reported when you try to access the miscreant folders?

    How have you setup the folders for sharing?
    How have you setup the mapping of the folders?
    What kind of authentication are you using?

    Can you ping the localhost of each computer?
    Can you ping each computer from the other?

    What does the net view command show?
    What does the net use command show?
    What does the net share command show?

    All you have posted is that you have a problem, but there are no details of
    your problem or what you have done to troubleshoot the problem.

    Jim

  5. Re: File Sharing

    Well I am able to access one of my folders but not the others.

    However, the error message is:

    "(folder name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
    have access permissions.

    The Network Path was not found"

    As far as how I set up the sharing, I just clicked on sharing and security
    when i right clicked on the folder, and then I clicked the option "share this
    folder"

    And as for the rest of the questions, I really have no idea.

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "Alex" wrote in message
    > >I have set up several folders I want to share on my HP Media Center PC
    > >m385c
    > > with SP2. I also have a laptop that is a Dell Inspiron 1200 with SP2.
    > > They
    > > both run Norton Antivirus, and Windows Firewall. However I can only
    > > access 1
    > > of the 4 folders shared by this. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but
    > > any
    > > help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > -Alex

    > What error is reported when you try to access the miscreant folders?
    >
    > How have you setup the folders for sharing?
    > How have you setup the mapping of the folders?
    > What kind of authentication are you using?
    >
    > Can you ping the localhost of each computer?
    > Can you ping each computer from the other?
    >
    > What does the net view command show?
    > What does the net use command show?
    > What does the net share command show?
    >
    > All you have posted is that you have a problem, but there are no details of
    > your problem or what you have done to troubleshoot the problem.
    >
    > Jim

  6. Re: File Sharing

    "Alex" wrote in message
    > Well I am able to access one of my folders but not the others.
    >
    > However, the error message is:
    >
    > "(folder name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    > this
    > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
    > you
    > have access permissions.
    >
    > The Network Path was not found"
    >
    > As far as how I set up the sharing, I just clicked on sharing and security
    > when i right clicked on the folder, and then I clicked the option "share
    > this
    > folder"
    >
    > And as for the rest of the questions, I really have no idea.
    >
    > "Jim" wrote:
    >

    >> "Alex" wrote in message
    >> >I have set up several folders I want to share on my HP Media Center PC
    >> >m385c
    >> > with SP2. I also have a laptop that is a Dell Inspiron 1200 with SP2.
    >> > They
    >> > both run Norton Antivirus, and Windows Firewall. However I can only
    >> > access 1
    >> > of the 4 folders shared by this. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but
    >> > any
    >> > help would be appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > -Alex

    >> What error is reported when you try to access the miscreant folders?
    >>
    >> How have you setup the folders for sharing?
    >> How have you setup the mapping of the folders?
    >> What kind of authentication are you using?
    >>
    >> Can you ping the localhost of each computer?
    >> Can you ping each computer from the other?
    >>
    >> What does the net view command show?
    >> What does the net use command show?
    >> What does the net share command show?
    >>
    >> All you have posted is that you have a problem, but there are no details
    >> of
    >> your problem or what you have done to troubleshoot the problem.
    >>
    >> Jim

    OK, what did you do on the computer which maps the drive? What you did
    only accomplishes half of the task.

    When I setup my network, I found that using the "net" commands (which you
    access via the cmd command line interpreter) was easier that going through
    Windows.

    Jim

  7. Re: File Sharing

    Could you be more specific, I'm still kinda new to this.

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "Alex" wrote in message
    > > Well I am able to access one of my folders but not the others.
    > >
    > > However, the error message is:
    > >
    > > "(folder name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    > > this
    > > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
    > > you
    > > have access permissions.
    > >
    > > The Network Path was not found"
    > >
    > > As far as how I set up the sharing, I just clicked on sharing and security
    > > when i right clicked on the folder, and then I clicked the option "share
    > > this
    > > folder"
    > >
    > > And as for the rest of the questions, I really have no idea.
    > >
    > > "Jim" wrote:
    > >

    > >> "Alex" wrote in message

    > >> What error is reported when you try to access the miscreant folders?
    > >>
    > >> How have you setup the folders for sharing?
    > >> How have you setup the mapping of the folders?
    > >> What kind of authentication are you using?
    > >>
    > >> Can you ping the localhost of each computer?
    > >> Can you ping each computer from the other?
    > >>
    > >> What does the net view command show?
    > >> What does the net use command show?
    > >> What does the net share command show?
    > >>
    > >> All you have posted is that you have a problem, but there are no details
    > >> of
    > >> your problem or what you have done to troubleshoot the problem.
    > >>
    > >> Jim
    > >>

    > OK, what did you do on the computer which maps the drive? What you did
    > only accomplishes half of the task.
    >
    > When I setup my network, I found that using the "net" commands (which you
    > access via the cmd command line interpreter) was easier that going through
    > Windows.
    >
    > Jim

  8. Re: File Sharing

    "Alex" wrote in message
    > Could you be more specific, I'm still kinda new to this.

    Click Start
    Enter "cmd" in the run box
    By and by a DOS-like prompt will appear.
    Then enter these commands
    net view
    net share
    net use

    The first will list all of the computers which are visible from the current
    computer
    The second will list all of the shared entities on the current computer
    The third will list all of the mapped entities on the current computer

    To get more help for each of the commands, enter
    net share ?
    net view ?
    net use ?

    Run this set of commands on each computer and compare the listings:

    For example to get a list of all computers, enter

    net view > netview.txt

    And, while you are using cmd, obtain the results from ipconfig/all

    The results from these commands will go a long way toward solving your
    problems.

    Jim

    > "Jim" wrote:
    >

    >> "Alex" wrote in message
    >> > Well I am able to access one of my folders but not the others.
    >> >
    >> > However, the error message is:
    >> >
    >> > "(folder name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    >> > this
    >> > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
    >> > if
    >> > you
    >> > have access permissions.
    >> >
    >> > The Network Path was not found"
    >> >
    >> > As far as how I set up the sharing, I just clicked on sharing and
    >> > security
    >> > when i right clicked on the folder, and then I clicked the option
    >> > "share
    >> > this
    >> > folder"
    >> >
    >> > And as for the rest of the questions, I really have no idea.

    >> OK, what did you do on the computer which maps the drive? What you did
    >> only accomplishes half of the task.
    >>
    >> When I setup my network, I found that using the "net" commands (which you
    >> access via the cmd command line interpreter) was easier that going
    >> through
    >> Windows.
    >>
    >> Jim

+ Reply to Thread