Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure networ - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure networ - Wireless ; I have an ASUS laptop with XP Pro. I had a problem securing my wireless network, which was otherwise OK and so ran Linksys net set client. This set up a new secure wireless network and saved the settings. However, ...

  1. Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure networ

    I have an ASUS laptop with XP Pro. I had a problem securing my wireless
    network, which was otherwise OK and so ran Linksys net set client. This set
    up a new secure wireless network and saved the settings. However, everytime I
    start the computer the wireless network does not connect and the wireless
    icon in the systray has a little red x through it. If I run setup file from
    linksys net set client saved settings it establishes the connection.
    Obviously I don't want to have to do this everytime I want to get on the
    internet. WZC is enabled and started. I understand that there maybe a
    conflict here but when I disable or stop WZC I still have the same problem. I
    have no idea where to go from here so any advise very welcomed.

  2. Re: Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure networ

    Have you considered uninstalling the Linksys client completely and
    using only WZC to configure your wireless?

    What type of security are you using? WPA2? WPA?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure ne

    That was a consideration but I am not certain of how to uninstall the Linksys
    client. I feel the problem lies here as it has only been an issue since the
    Linksys client set up the new secure connection. Can I find and disable this
    anywhere? I'm not sure what it will be called or where to look even. Can you
    give me any directions please. The security in wep 64 bit. Thanks

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > Have you considered uninstalling the Linksys client completely and
    > using only WZC to configure your wireless?
    >
    > What type of security are you using? WPA2? WPA?
    >
    > On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:14:02 -0700, Jon
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have an ASUS laptop with XP Pro. I had a problem securing my wireless
    > >network, which was otherwise OK and so ran Linksys net set client. This set
    > >up a new secure wireless network and saved the settings. However, everytime I
    > >start the computer the wireless network does not connect and the wireless
    > >icon in the systray has a little red x through it. If I run setup file from
    > >linksys net set client saved settings it establishes the connection.
    > >Obviously I don't want to have to do this everytime I want to get on the
    > >internet. WZC is enabled and started. I understand that there maybe a
    > >conflict here but when I disable or stop WZC I still have the same problem. I
    > >have no idea where to go from here so any advise very welcomed.

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure ne

    Another weird thing, when I type 192.168.1.1 admin into my browser, the page
    displayed is incomplete in that all of the options on the left hand side and
    most of the text is missing.

    "Jon" wrote:

    > That was a consideration but I am not certain of how to uninstall the Linksys
    > client. I feel the problem lies here as it has only been an issue since the
    > Linksys client set up the new secure connection. Can I find and disable this
    > anywhere? I'm not sure what it will be called or where to look even. Can you
    > give me any directions please. The security in wep 64 bit. Thanks
    >
    > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    > > Have you considered uninstalling the Linksys client completely and
    > > using only WZC to configure your wireless?
    > >
    > > What type of security are you using? WPA2? WPA?
    > >
    > > On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:14:02 -0700, Jon
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have an ASUS laptop with XP Pro. I had a problem securing my wireless
    > > >network, which was otherwise OK and so ran Linksys net set client. This set
    > > >up a new secure wireless network and saved the settings. However, everytime I
    > > >start the computer the wireless network does not connect and the wireless
    > > >icon in the systray has a little red x through it. If I run setup file from
    > > >linksys net set client saved settings it establishes the connection.
    > > >Obviously I don't want to have to do this everytime I want to get on the
    > > >internet. WZC is enabled and started. I understand that there maybe a
    > > >conflict here but when I disable or stop WZC I still have the same problem. I
    > > >have no idea where to go from here so any advise very welcomed.

    > > --
    > >
    > > Barb Bowman
    > > MS Windows-MVP
    > > Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > > http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

  5. Re: Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure networ

    Hi
    If the Wireless does not work when WZC is Off and the Linksys utility is
    installed, then you have a problem that is Not related to WZC.
    According to your description it might be a Router issue. Try to Hard Reset
    the Router, and make sure that you have the latest firmware installed.
    AS for the Wireless Client this might help,
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Jon" wrote in message
    >I have an ASUS laptop with XP Pro. I had a problem securing my wireless
    > network, which was otherwise OK and so ran Linksys net set client. This
    > set
    > up a new secure wireless network and saved the settings. However,
    > everytime I
    > start the computer the wireless network does not connect and the wireless
    > icon in the systray has a little red x through it. If I run setup file
    > from
    > linksys net set client saved settings it establishes the connection.
    > Obviously I don't want to have to do this everytime I want to get on the
    > internet. WZC is enabled and started. I understand that there maybe a
    > conflict here but when I disable or stop WZC I still have the same
    > problem. I
    > have no idea where to go from here so any advise very welcomed.

  6. Re: Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure ne

    Hi. Thanks, I did a hard reset on the router and this took my connection back
    to my original unsecured connection but still I could not connect. I have
    since run the Linksys Netset client and this establishes a new connection.
    When I rebooted the PC the wireless connection would not connect again. I
    looked at the wzc status and it was not started. I started it and under
    wireless networks tab chose use windows to configure my network settings and
    after 3 or 4 attempts a connection was established. After every restart the
    wzc is not started even though it is set to automatic.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > If the Wireless does not work when WZC is Off and the Linksys utility is
    > installed, then you have a problem that is Not related to WZC.
    > According to your description it might be a Router issue. Try to Hard Reset
    > the Router, and make sure that you have the latest firmware installed.
    > AS for the Wireless Client this might help,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Jon" wrote in message
    > >I have an ASUS laptop with XP Pro. I had a problem securing my wireless
    > > network, which was otherwise OK and so ran Linksys net set client. This
    > > set
    > > up a new secure wireless network and saved the settings. However,
    > > everytime I
    > > start the computer the wireless network does not connect and the wireless
    > > icon in the systray has a little red x through it. If I run setup file
    > > from
    > > linksys net set client saved settings it establishes the connection.
    > > Obviously I don't want to have to do this everytime I want to get on the
    > > internet. WZC is enabled and started. I understand that there maybe a
    > > conflict here but when I disable or stop WZC I still have the same
    > > problem. I
    > > have no idea where to go from here so any advise very welcomed.

  7. Re: Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure ne

    can you try uninstalling the Linksys utility? then reboot, turn the
    WZC service on again if it is off.

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:00:00 -0700, Jon
    wrote:

    >Hi. Thanks, I did a hard reset on the router and this took my connection back
    >to my original unsecured connection but still I could not connect. I have
    >since run the Linksys Netset client and this establishes a new connection.
    >When I rebooted the PC the wireless connection would not connect again. I
    >looked at the wzc status and it was not started. I started it and under
    >wireless networks tab chose use windows to configure my network settings and
    >after 3 or 4 attempts a connection was established. After every restart the
    >wzc is not started even though it is set to automatic.
    >
    >"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> If the Wireless does not work when WZC is Off and the Linksys utility is
    >> installed, then you have a problem that is Not related to WZC.
    >> According to your description it might be a Router issue. Try to Hard Reset
    >> the Router, and make sure that you have the latest firmware installed.
    >> AS for the Wireless Client this might help,
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Jon" wrote in message
    >> >I have an ASUS laptop with XP Pro. I had a problem securing my wireless
    >> > network, which was otherwise OK and so ran Linksys net set client. This
    >> > set
    >> > up a new secure wireless network and saved the settings. However,
    >> > everytime I
    >> > start the computer the wireless network does not connect and the wireless
    >> > icon in the systray has a little red x through it. If I run setup file
    >> > from
    >> > linksys net set client saved settings it establishes the connection.
    >> > Obviously I don't want to have to do this everytime I want to get on the
    >> > internet. WZC is enabled and started. I understand that there maybe a
    >> > conflict here but when I disable or stop WZC I still have the same
    >> > problem. I
    >> > have no idea where to go from here so any advise very welcomed.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  8. Re: Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure ne

    Jon wrote:
    > Another weird thing, when I type 192.168.1.1 admin into my browser, the page
    > displayed is incomplete in that all of the options on the left hand side and
    > most of the text is missing.

    I had that problem with Zonealarm and had to disable it while I worked
    on the router. It was strange that I could turn off every security
    feature and I still had to unload Zonealarm completely. It doesn't make
    sense to me but that fixed my Linksys WRT54G setup problem.

    > "Jon" wrote:
    >
    >> That was a consideration but I am not certain of how to uninstall the Linksys
    >> client. I feel the problem lies here as it has only been an issue since the
    >> Linksys client set up the new secure connection. Can I find and disable this
    >> anywhere? I'm not sure what it will be called or where to look even. Can you
    >> give me any directions please. The security in wep 64 bit. Thanks
    >>
    >> "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    I managed to get everything working with my daughter's H.P. laptop but I
    have to have it on my lap while I tweaked everything else. Once I set
    the wireless to 'G' only and entered her MAC #, it hooked up. After that
    it took a while to find out whether to use 64 bit or 128 bit, WPA, WEP,
    Tkip and a common security key, but it only took about 45 minutes. Most
    of that was poor documentation for the laptop and how to set up a
    non-plain-Jane wireless link. We have a few 'War drivers' around here
    that I have detected or just some neighbors who don't get the security
    aspects of running your own Internet radio station.
    Bill Baka

    >>> Have you considered uninstalling the Linksys client completely and
    >>> using only WZC to configure your wireless?
    >>>
    >>> What type of security are you using? WPA2? WPA?

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS Windows-MVP
    >>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

  9. Re: Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure ne

    Hi I downloaded the ezlan startup utility and found something called broadcom
    which was running the wireless configuration. I disabled this and reselected
    wzc, rebooted and I connected straight away. Thank you verymuch for your time
    and help.

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > can you try uninstalling the Linksys utility? then reboot, turn the
    > WZC service on again if it is off.
    >
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:00:00 -0700, Jon
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi. Thanks, I did a hard reset on the router and this took my connection back
    > >to my original unsecured connection but still I could not connect. I have
    > >since run the Linksys Netset client and this establishes a new connection.
    > >When I rebooted the PC the wireless connection would not connect again. I
    > >looked at the wzc status and it was not started. I started it and under
    > >wireless networks tab chose use windows to configure my network settings and
    > >after 3 or 4 attempts a connection was established. After every restart the
    > >wzc is not started even though it is set to automatic.
    > >
    > >"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> If the Wireless does not work when WZC is Off and the Linksys utility is
    > >> installed, then you have a problem that is Not related to WZC.
    > >> According to your description it might be a Router issue. Try to Hard Reset
    > >> the Router, and make sure that you have the latest firmware installed.
    > >> AS for the Wireless Client this might help,
    > >> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >>
    > >> "Jon" wrote in message
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  10. Re: Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure ne

    glad it's working for you now.

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:52:08 -0700, Jon
    wrote:

    >Hi I downloaded the ezlan startup utility and found something called broadcom
    >which was running the wireless configuration. I disabled this and reselected
    >wzc, rebooted and I connected straight away. Thank you verymuch for your time
    >and help.
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> can you try uninstalling the Linksys utility? then reboot, turn the
    >> WZC service on again if it is off.
    >>
    >> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:00:00 -0700, Jon
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi. Thanks, I did a hard reset on the router and this took my connection back
    >> >to my original unsecured connection but still I could not connect. I have
    >> >since run the Linksys Netset client and this establishes a new connection.
    >> >When I rebooted the PC the wireless connection would not connect again. I
    >> >looked at the wzc status and it was not started. I started it and under
    >> >wireless networks tab chose use windows to configure my network settings and
    >> >after 3 or 4 attempts a connection was established. After every restart the
    >> >wzc is not started even though it is set to automatic.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  11. Re: Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure ne

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > glad it's working for you now.
    >
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:52:08 -0700, Jon
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi I downloaded the ezlan startup utility and found something called broadcom
    >> which was running the wireless configuration. I disabled this and reselected
    >> wzc, rebooted and I connected straight away. Thank you verymuch for your time
    >> and help.
    >>
    >> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >>
    >>> can you try uninstalling the Linksys utility? then reboot, turn the
    >>> WZC service on again if it is off.

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS Windows-MVP
    >>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    >>>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

    Just to add another layer of strange to this I was having a problem with
    getting a solid connection when I turned my computer on in the morning.
    No Internet connection even though nothing had changed. The cure,
    strangely enough, was to just unplug the ethernet cable to my computer
    and after about 5 seconds plug it in again, and it was like Windows had
    detected a whole new network. I never had this problem booting into
    Suse, or Ubuntu, so it was/is a Windows thing.
    Now I don't think I will buy Vista until some stupid customer buys into
    it and I have to go with the flow. Needless to say I prefer Linux for
    the critical stuff and Windows only for the forced CAD programs and the
    few things that companies just won't port over to Linux. As long as I
    have Open Office and Mozilla that takes care of most of my needs.
    I think Protel and Cadence would be very pleasantly surprised if they
    came out with Linux versions that could send Windows compatible files
    over the office network.
    Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread