VPN service - Wireless

This is a discussion on VPN service - Wireless ; Do the VPN services available really provide better security when connecting through public wi-fi connnections? I'm considering one for use when I travel. Thanks! Patty...

  1. VPN service

    Do the VPN services available really provide better security when
    connecting through public wi-fi connnections? I'm considering one for use
    when I travel. Thanks!

    Patty

  2. Re: VPN service

    On 9-Apr-2007, Patty wrote:

    > Do the VPN services available really provide better security when
    > connecting through public wi-fi connnections? I'm considering one for use
    > when I travel. Thanks!
    >
    > Patty

    There are public ones and they work after a fashion, because
    being both free, and public, they are heavily overloaded.

    Main problem is at peak loading they won't set up a
    connection.

    You can however pay for a premium faster connection
    beyond the VPN network. Haven't tried this.

    No internet connection is 100% secure, there are
    packet loggers, sysops at any point where the
    data is unencrypted/decrypted can read login
    usernames, passwords, and for online sales or
    banking all they need for fraud/identity theft if they are
    so disposed.

    For banking dial up is probably the most secure,
    decoding the modulation if the line is tapped
    difficult, the transmission should (padlock) be
    encrypted, end to end. So any compromise
    would be at your bank, or their overseas call
    centre selling your details. But they would
    blame you.

    Second user PC's can have been used for
    eCommerce and the HD contain all your details,
    amazing what you can buy at Commercial
    Effects auctions. eBay is probably fairly secure,
    they are regulated by the Financial Services
    Authority, which creates some accountability,
    and the vendor never gets to see your card details.

    That said if you think about all the possibilites you
    can get quite paranoid about security.
    Sensitive information I put on a USB pen drive,
    using a long passphrase (UC, LC, numbers and
    punctuation characters) "I'm going 2 {add the rest
    yourself}" with Blowfish encryption.
    Governments and global multinationals might
    crack it, the average hacker would be struggling.

  3. Re: VPN service

    Hi
    Most of free hotspots are Not secure. As a result you Wireless traffic
    intercepted easily and the information real available to the Hacker (that
    might include banking and other sensitive information).
    Using VPN encrypt the info, so even if it intercepted it is for no use to
    the Hacker.
    However VPN can work only when you have a VPN server on the other side, so
    it is used by people to connect to their own server or their businesses
    servers that VPN enable.
    You cannot connect or generally surf other Internet location unless you have
    a pre arranged VPN system. (http://www.ezlan.net/vpn.html )
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Patty" wrote in message
    > Do the VPN services available really provide better security when
    > connecting through public wi-fi connnections? I'm considering one for use
    > when I travel. Thanks!
    >
    > Patty

  4. Re: VPN service

    On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:44:22 -0400, Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:

    > Hi
    > Most of free hotspots are Not secure. As a result you Wireless traffic
    > intercepted easily and the information real available to the Hacker (that
    > might include banking and other sensitive information).
    > Using VPN encrypt the info, so even if it intercepted it is for no use to
    > the Hacker.
    > However VPN can work only when you have a VPN server on the other side, so
    > it is used by people to connect to their own server or their businesses
    > servers that VPN enable.
    > You cannot connect or generally surf other Internet location unless you have
    > a pre arranged VPN system. (http://www.ezlan.net/vpn.html )
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    That's what I was asking about. There are VPN services that you can buy
    for an annual fee such as Witopia PersonalVPN and JiWire Hotspot Helper.
    Was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this type of service.

    I"m not interested in connecting to my home network while traveling, but
    just having some encryption while using the internet from a public wi-fi.

    Patty

  5. Re: VPN service

    Hi

    These services work via the proxy idea. I.e. all you Wireless connection is
    encrypted and goes first to their server, get decrypted and continue t the
    Internet.

    It does add security to the Wireless, however, the proxy company has a track
    of your activities (not necessarily bad but should be known).

    I do not such a service so I can not recommend any, Search the Internet
    using terms like "xyz trouble" xyz being the name of the service, and see
    what users and reviewers are saying.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Patty" wrote in message
    news:1urfxw80y9uuw$.k14t97iwe44k$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:44:22 -0400, Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Most of free hotspots are Not secure. As a result you Wireless traffic
    >> intercepted easily and the information real available to the Hacker (that
    >> might include banking and other sensitive information).
    >> Using VPN encrypt the info, so even if it intercepted it is for no use to
    >> the Hacker.
    >> However VPN can work only when you have a VPN server on the other side,
    >> so
    >> it is used by people to connect to their own server or their businesses
    >> servers that VPN enable.
    >> You cannot connect or generally surf other Internet location unless you
    >> have
    >> a pre arranged VPN system. (http://www.ezlan.net/vpn.html )
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > That's what I was asking about. There are VPN services that you can buy
    > for an annual fee such as Witopia PersonalVPN and JiWire Hotspot Helper.
    > Was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this type of service.
    >
    > I"m not interested in connecting to my home network while traveling, but
    > just having some encryption while using the internet from a public wi-fi.
    >
    > Patty

  6. Re: VPN service

    On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:16:23 -0400, Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > These services work via the proxy idea. I.e. all you Wireless connection is
    > encrypted and goes first to their server, get decrypted and continue t the
    > Internet.
    >
    > It does add security to the Wireless, however, the proxy company has a track
    > of your activities (not necessarily bad but should be known).
    >
    > I do not such a service so I can not recommend any, Search the Internet
    > using terms like "xyz trouble" xyz being the name of the service, and see
    > what users and reviewers are saying.
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Thanks, Jack. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them.
    I'll try doing a search as you've suggested.

    Patty

+ Reply to Thread