Any USB devices that plug into a USB port and make your PC an access point? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Any USB devices that plug into a USB port and make your PC an access point? - Wireless ; Hello Is there any way to securely share a user's wired connection with a laptop using wireless technology and without purchasing an access point? In other words, plug USB widget into wired desktop's usb port, then plug other widget into ...

  1. Any USB devices that plug into a USB port and make your PC an access point?

    Hello

    Is there any way to securely share a user's wired connection with a
    laptop using wireless technology and without purchasing an access
    point? In other words, plug USB widget into wired desktop's usb port,
    then plug other widget into laptop and then let the laptop use the
    desktops network connection? I was thinking of purchasing a wireless
    NIC for the PC and and then configuring sharing on the wireless nic
    but I am not sure if that is the best way.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Any USB devices that plug into a USB port and make your PC an access point?

    Ned wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Is there any way to securely share a user's wired connection with a
    > laptop using wireless technology and without purchasing an access
    > point?

    I have yet to see (which of course doesn't mean they do not exist) any
    adapter client software that can handle WPA in ah hoc mode, or for that
    matter in client access point mode.

    Usually, you have to make do with WEP encryption and filters. These are
    not secure.

  3. Re: Any USB devices that plug into a USB port and make your PC an access point?

    Hi
    Access Points are usually expensive, but Wireless Router are not.
    You can find Wireless Router for the same price or few $$ more than buying a
    second Wireless card.
    Plug the Wired computer to One of the Router regular ports and configure the
    Wireless. You would get better and more secure connection.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Axel Hammerschmidt" wrote in message
    > Ned wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Is there any way to securely share a user's wired connection with a
    >> laptop using wireless technology and without purchasing an access
    >> point?

    > I have yet to see (which of course doesn't mean they do not exist) any
    > adapter client software that can handle WPA in ah hoc mode, or for that
    > matter in client access point mode.
    >
    > Usually, you have to make do with WEP encryption and filters. These are
    > not secure.

  4. Re: Any USB devices that plug into a USB port and make your PC an access point?

    > Access Points are usually expensive, but Wireless Router are not.

    I've noticed that too. Isn't that weird? LOL.

    -Frank

  5. Re: Any USB devices that plug into a USB port and make your PC an access point?

    > Hi
    > Access Points are usually expensive, but Wireless Router are not.
    > You can find Wireless Router for the same price or few $$ more than buying
    > a second Wireless card.
    > Plug the Wired computer to One of the Router regular ports and configure
    > the Wireless. You would get better and more secure connection.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Yes, I finally figured this out and started to save my clients a little bit
    of money. For example, instead of attaching a LinkSys WAP to a CAT-5
    connection on the other side of the house, I get them a WRT54G instead,
    which is about $20 to $30 cheaper, and turn things off like DHCP, and BANG,
    you got yourself a good solution, beating the Cisco boys at their own game.
    Then again, I imagine they caught on to this some time ago as evidenced by
    the fact that their wireless routers have much less available RAM than they
    used to and a less powerful signal. I believe they call this "neutering."

  6. Re: Any USB devices that plug into a USB port and make your PC an access point?

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless Cable/DSL Router or Access Point - What should I get?
    http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html
    Using Wireless Router as an Access Ppoiint -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Maxwell Edision" wrote in message
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Access Points are usually expensive, but Wireless Router are not.
    >> You can find Wireless Router for the same price or few $$ more than
    >> buying a second Wireless card.
    >> Plug the Wired computer to One of the Router regular ports and configure
    >> the Wireless. You would get better and more secure connection.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > Yes, I finally figured this out and started to save my clients a little
    > bit of money. For example, instead of attaching a LinkSys WAP to a CAT-5
    > connection on the other side of the house, I get them a WRT54G instead,
    > which is about $20 to $30 cheaper, and turn things off like DHCP, and
    > BANG, you got yourself a good solution, beating the Cisco boys at their
    > own game. Then again, I imagine they caught on to this some time ago as
    > evidenced by the fact that their wireless routers have much less available
    > RAM than they used to and a less powerful signal. I believe they call
    > this "neutering."

  7. Re: Any USB devices that plug into a USB port and make your PC an access point?

    "Axel Hammerschmidt" wrote in message news:1hw9fer.la8bwx1dr74gaN%hlexa@hotmail.com...
    > I have yet to see (which of course doesn't mean they do not exist) any
    > adapter client software that can handle WPA in ah hoc mode, or for that
    > matter in client access point mode.

    Vista does support WPA in ad-hoc mode, and MS presses hard on
    adapter vendors to support this in their divers.

    --PA

  8. Re: Any USB devices that plug into a USB port and make your PC an access point?

    In article <1176026291.589865.326140@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>, "Ned" wrote:
    >Hello
    >
    >Is there any way to securely share a user's wired connection with a
    >laptop using wireless technology and without purchasing an access
    >point? In other words, plug USB widget into wired desktop's usb port,
    >then plug other widget into laptop and then let the laptop use the
    >desktops network connection? I was thinking of purchasing a wireless
    >NIC for the PC and and then configuring sharing on the wireless nic
    >but I am not sure if that is the best way.
    >
    >Thanks

    Just get a linksys WRT54G at Best buy for $49.99 (Same price you'd pay for a
    Wireless desktop card)

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.
    jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&id=1051384663529

    And then a USB 54G device for the laptop.

    Much better to do it this way, same price, better security, expandability
    etc....

+ Reply to Thread