ipconfig - Wireless

This is a discussion on ipconfig - Wireless ; Please can you explain/clarify in simple terms the following from my ipconfig: Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: (why is my wireless connection refering to ethernet cable here?) Connection-specific DNS suffix: home (is this the name of my hub?) IP address ...

  1. ipconfig

    Please can you explain/clarify in simple terms the following from my
    ipconfig:
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: (why is my wireless connection
    refering to ethernet cable here?)
    Connection-specific DNS suffix: home (is this the name of my hub?)
    IP address (is this my hub ip address)
    Subnet Mask (what does this mean?)
    Default Gateway (is this my ISP service provider
    DHCP server (what does this mean?)
    DNS Server (what does this mean?)
    WINS Server (what does this mean?)

    Finally my Wireless Zero Configuration is set to start automatically but
    sometime when I View Wireless Networks Available I need to start the
    service, even though it is set to Automatic. Do you know why?

    Thanks in advance for your helpl

  2. Re: ipconfig

    This might help for the Wireless Zero Configuration issue.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless1#wzc
    The output of IPconfig might depend on how a specific Network is set.
    When using Wireless Cable/DSL Router with automatic TCP/IP configuration.
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Usually the name of the computer that
    the IPConfig is reading.
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : *
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown *
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No *
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No *
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4: Windows connection number ID.
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : *
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Network card description
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-E5-46-E4-50 MAC adderss of Network
    Card
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : If yes TCP/IP is obtain automatically
    from Router.
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : Computerís IP address
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : Computer's secondary Host address. (In
    most cases on Networks as decribes above it is 255.255.255.0).
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : Routerís core IP address
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : Usually same as Default Gateway
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : Usually same as Default Gateway
    *The entries with asterisk are usually Not relevant when using peer-to-peer
    Network with Wireless cable/DSL Router automatic configuration.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "April" wrote in message
    > Please can you explain/clarify in simple terms the following from my
    > ipconfig:
    > Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: (why is my wireless
    > connection refering to ethernet cable here?)
    > Connection-specific DNS suffix: home (is this the name of my hub?)
    > IP address (is this my hub ip address)
    > Subnet Mask (what does this mean?)
    > Default Gateway (is this my ISP service provider
    > DHCP server (what does this mean?)
    > DNS Server (what does this mean?)
    > WINS Server (what does this mean?)
    >
    > Finally my Wireless Zero Configuration is set to start automatically but
    > sometime when I View Wireless Networks Available I need to start the
    > service, even though it is set to Automatic. Do you know why?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your helpl

  3. Re: ipconfig

    Thanks for the link. I dont have another process displaying the other
    networks. I did in the past but it was uninstalled. I checked MSCONFIG and
    couldnt find anything there that maybe running this process.

    > This might help for the Wireless Zero Configuration issue.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wireless1#wzc
    > The output of IPconfig might depend on how a specific Network is set.
    > When using Wireless Cable/DSL Router with automatic TCP/IP configuration.
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Usually the name of the computer that
    > the IPConfig is reading.
    > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : *
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown *
    > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No *
    > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No *
    > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4: Windows connection number ID.
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : *
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Network card description
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-E5-46-E4-50 MAC adderss of
    > Network Card
    > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : If yes TCP/IP is obtain automatically
    > from Router.
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : Computer's IP address
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : Computer's secondary Host address. (In
    > most cases on Networks as decribes above it is 255.255.255.0).
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : Router's core IP address
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : Usually same as Default Gateway
    > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : Usually same as Default Gateway
    > *The entries with asterisk are usually Not relevant when using
    > peer-to-peer Network with Wireless cable/DSL Router automatic
    > configuration.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "April" wrote in message
    >> Please can you explain/clarify in simple terms the following from my
    >> ipconfig:
    >> Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: (why is my wireless
    >> connection refering to ethernet cable here?)
    >> Connection-specific DNS suffix: home (is this the name of my hub?)
    >> IP address (is this my hub ip address)
    >> Subnet Mask (what does this mean?)
    >> Default Gateway (is this my ISP service provider
    >> DHCP server (what does this mean?)
    >> DNS Server (what does this mean?)
    >> WINS Server (what does this mean?)
    >>
    >> Finally my Wireless Zero Configuration is set to start automatically but
    >> sometime when I View Wireless Networks Available I need to start the
    >> service, even though it is set to Automatic. Do you know why?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your helpl

  4. Re: ipconfig

    Please check the networking basics on Jack's website (ezlan.net)
    Otherwise, it is not likely that your questions can be answered here.
    Really have to get some background

    Regards,
    --PA

    "April" wrote in message news:ej51C1aeHHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks for the link. I dont have another process displaying the other networks. I did in the past but it was uninstalled. I
    > checked MSCONFIG and couldnt find anything there that maybe running this process.
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message news:eXDyPeYeHHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    >> This might help for the Wireless Zero Configuration issue.
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless1#wzc
    >> The output of IPconfig might depend on how a specific Network is set.
    >> When using Wireless Cable/DSL Router with automatic TCP/IP configuration.
    >> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Usually the name of the computer that the IPConfig is reading.
    >> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : *
    >> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown *
    >> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No *
    >> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No *
    >> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4: Windows connection number ID.
    >> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : *
    >> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Network card description
    >> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-E5-46-E4-50 MAC adderss of Network Card
    >> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : If yes TCP/IP is obtain automatically from Router.
    >> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    >> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : Computer's IP address
    >> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : Computer's secondary Host address. (In most cases on Networks as decribes above it is
    >> 255.255.255.0).
    >> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : Router's core IP address
    >> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : Usually same as Default Gateway
    >> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : Usually same as Default Gateway
    >> *The entries with asterisk are usually Not relevant when using peer-to-peer Network with Wireless cable/DSL Router automatic
    >> configuration.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "April" wrote in message news:uMRk%23kXeHHA.4136@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >>> Please can you explain/clarify in simple terms the following from my ipconfig:
    >>> Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: (why is my wireless connection refering to ethernet cable here?)
    >>> Connection-specific DNS suffix: home (is this the name of my hub?)
    >>> IP address (is this my hub ip address)
    >>> Subnet Mask (what does this mean?)
    >>> Default Gateway (is this my ISP service provider
    >>> DHCP server (what does this mean?)
    >>> DNS Server (what does this mean?)
    >>> WINS Server (what does this mean?)
    >>>
    >>> Finally my Wireless Zero Configuration is set to start automatically but sometime when I View Wireless Networks Available I
    >>> need to start the service, even though it is set to Automatic. Do you know why?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for your helpl

+ Reply to Thread