Wireless problems - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless problems - Wireless ; I have a couple of question about setting up a wireless system on my laptop. I'm using XP media centre I set up my laptop and router to go wireless and I'm getting Windows was unable to find a certificate ...

  1. Wireless problems

    I have a couple of question about setting up a wireless system on my
    laptop. I'm using XP media centre

    I set up my laptop and router to go wireless and I'm getting Windows was
    unable to find a certificate to log you on the network.

    How can I fix this?

    Also every time I go into the properties the settings have changed. I
    originally set it up to use WPA-PSK but it keeps going back to WPA

    anyone know of a fix for these?

  2. Re: Wireless problems

    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    Computers Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "bri@n" wrote in message
    >I have a couple of question about setting up a wireless system on my
    >laptop. I'm using XP media centre
    >
    > I set up my laptop and router to go wireless and I'm getting Windows was
    > unable to find a certificate to log you on the network.
    >
    > How can I fix this?
    >
    > Also every time I go into the properties the settings have changed. I
    > originally set it up to use WPA-PSK but it keeps going back to WPA
    >
    > anyone know of a fix for these?

  3. Re: Wireless problems

    bri@n wrote:
    > I have a couple of question about setting up a wireless system on my
    > laptop. I'm using XP media centre
    >
    > I set up my laptop and router to go wireless and I'm getting Windows was
    > unable to find a certificate to log you on the network.
    >
    > How can I fix this?
    >
    > Also every time I go into the properties the settings have changed. I
    > originally set it up to use WPA-PSK but it keeps going back to WPA
    >
    > anyone know of a fix for these?

    In addition to Jack's advice, in the "Properties" screens for your
    wireless adapter, select your network in the list of preferred networks,
    click "Properties," and then the "Authentication" tab and make sure that
    the box for "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" is
    UNchecked. OK your way out.

    WPA-PSK just means WPA with a Pre Shared Key (which is what virtually
    all home users use). Sometimes, you are given the opportunity to select
    the encryption algorithm used with WPA-PSK -- TKIP or AES. Of the two,
    AES is a stronger encryption (which is used in WPA2).

    If you have the IEEE 802.1x box checked, WZC thinks you are using
    WPA-Enterprise with an authentication server. If you want your eyes to
    glaze over, see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_P...A2-_Enterprise
    and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensi...ation_Protocol

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  4. Re: Wireless problems

    Lem wrote:
    > bri@n wrote:
    >> I have a couple of question about setting up a wireless system on my
    >> laptop. I'm using XP media centre
    >>
    >> I set up my laptop and router to go wireless and I'm getting Windows
    >> was unable to find a certificate to log you on the network.
    >>
    >> How can I fix this?
    >>
    >> Also every time I go into the properties the settings have changed. I
    >> originally set it up to use WPA-PSK but it keeps going back to WPA
    >>
    >> anyone know of a fix for these?

    > In addition to Jack's advice, in the "Properties" screens for your
    > wireless adapter, select your network in the list of preferred networks,
    > click "Properties," and then the "Authentication" tab and make sure that
    > the box for "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" is
    > UNchecked. OK your way out.

    thanks for the info guys, I've given it another go but I'm still getting
    the same results when I try WPA-psk.

    When I try to set up my laptop to use WPA-PSK the lap top reverts to WPA
    and I get the Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on the
    network.

    So I think it's the router that's the problem, but why is the Network
    key and confirm options are greyed out as is the Enable IEEE 802.1x

    I can't even change the IEEE 802.1x in Authentication because that is
    greyed out and there is a tick

  5. Re: Wireless problems

    Lem wrote:
    > bri@n wrote:
    >> I have a couple of question about setting up a wireless system on my
    >> laptop. I'm using XP media centre
    >>
    >> I set up my laptop and router to go wireless and I'm getting Windows
    >> was unable to find a certificate to log you on the network.
    >>
    >> How can I fix this?
    >>
    >> Also every time I go into the properties the settings have changed. I
    >> originally set it up to use WPA-PSK but it keeps going back to WPA
    >>
    >> anyone know of a fix for these?

    > In addition to Jack's advice, in the "Properties" screens for your
    > wireless adapter, select your network in the list of preferred networks,
    > click "Properties," and then the "Authentication" tab and make sure that
    > the box for "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" is
    > UNchecked. OK your way out.

    thanks for the info guys, I've given it another go but I'm still getting
    the same results when I try WPA-psk.

    When I try to set up my laptop to use WPA-PSK the lap top reverts to WPA
    and I get the Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on the
    network.

    So I think it's the router that's the problem, but why is the Network
    key and confirm options are greyed out as is the Enable IEEE 802.1x

    I can't even change the IEEE 802.1x in Authentication because that is
    greyed out and there is a tick

  6. Re: Wireless problems

    bri@n wrote:
    > Lem wrote:
    >> bri@n wrote:
    >>> I have a couple of question about setting up a wireless system on my
    >>> laptop. I'm using XP media centre
    >>>
    >>> I set up my laptop and router to go wireless and I'm getting Windows
    >>> was unable to find a certificate to log you on the network.
    >>>
    >>> How can I fix this?
    >>>
    >>> Also every time I go into the properties the settings have changed. I
    >>> originally set it up to use WPA-PSK but it keeps going back to WPA
    >>>
    >>> anyone know of a fix for these?

    >> In addition to Jack's advice, in the "Properties" screens for your
    >> wireless adapter, select your network in the list of preferred
    >> networks, click "Properties," and then the "Authentication" tab and
    >> make sure that the box for "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this
    >> network" is UNchecked. OK your way out.

    > thanks for the info guys, I've given it another go but I'm still getting
    > the same results when I try WPA-psk.
    >
    > When I try to set up my laptop to use WPA-PSK the lap top reverts to WPA
    > and I get the Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on the
    > network.
    >
    > So I think it's the router that's the problem, but why is the Network
    > key and confirm options are greyed out as is the Enable IEEE 802.1x
    >
    > I can't even change the IEEE 802.1x in Authentication because that is
    > greyed out and there is a tick

    It's not the router. The router has nothing to do with the ability to
    make/change configuration settings on your laptop.

    Is this laptop used to connect to a corporate network (or has it been
    used that way)? It's possible that there is a group policy locking your
    configuration options.

    Is the box "The key is provided for me automatically" checked or
    unchecked? It should be UNchecked.

    Have you tried to delete the network entirely from the list of Preferred
    networks (using the "Remove" button), and then use the "Add" button to
    re-create it using the proper settings?

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  7. Re: Wireless problems

    Lem wrote:
    > bri@n wrote:

    >>> In addition to Jack's advice, in the "Properties" screens for your
    >>> wireless adapter, select your network in the list of preferred
    >>> networks, click "Properties," and then the "Authentication" tab and
    >>> make sure that the box for "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for
    >>> this network" is UNchecked. OK your way out.

    >> thanks for the info guys, I've given it another go but I'm still
    >> getting the same results when I try WPA-psk.
    >>
    >> When I try to set up my laptop to use WPA-PSK the lap top reverts to
    >> WPA and I get the Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you
    >> on the network.
    >>
    >> So I think it's the router that's the problem, but why is the Network
    >> key and confirm options are greyed out as is the Enable IEEE 802.1x
    >>
    >> I can't even change the IEEE 802.1x in Authentication because that is
    >> greyed out and there is a tick

    > It's not the router. The router has nothing to do with the ability to
    > make/change configuration settings on your laptop.
    >
    > Is this laptop used to connect to a corporate network (or has it been
    > used that way)? It's possible that there is a group policy locking your
    > configuration options.

    No I bought a few days ago, it's a brand new laptop

    > Is the box "The key is provided for me automatically" checked or
    > unchecked? It should be UNchecked.

    When I go to advanced settings in Choose a Wireless Network, I select
    Wireless Network and then add. Type in the name of the router change the
    network authentication to WPA-PSK, leave the AES and type in the network
    key and confirm key.

    The Key is provided automatically is greyed out and there's no tick. On
    the authentication tab every thing is greyed out

    > Have you tried to delete the network entirely from the list of Preferred
    > networks (using the "Remove" button), and then use the "Add" button to
    > re-create it using the proper settings?

    Yes I have deleted them many times but I remember that I first used set
    up a wireless network option below the refresh network list. Should I
    have done this?

  8. Re: Wireless problems

    bri@n wrote:
    > Lem wrote:
    >> bri@n wrote:

    >>> thanks for the info guys, I've given it another go but I'm still
    >>> getting the same results when I try WPA-psk.
    >>>
    >>> When I try to set up my laptop to use WPA-PSK the lap top reverts to
    >>> WPA and I get the Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you
    >>> on the network.
    >>>
    >>> So I think it's the router that's the problem, but why is the Network
    >>> key and confirm options are greyed out as is the Enable IEEE 802.1x
    >>>
    >>> I can't even change the IEEE 802.1x in Authentication because that is
    >>> greyed out and there is a tick

    >> It's not the router. The router has nothing to do with the ability to
    >> make/change configuration settings on your laptop.
    >>
    >> Is this laptop used to connect to a corporate network (or has it been
    >> used that way)? It's possible that there is a group policy locking
    >> your configuration options.

    > No I bought a few days ago, it's a brand new laptop
    >

    >> Is the box "The key is provided for me automatically" checked or
    >> unchecked? It should be UNchecked.

    > When I go to advanced settings in Choose a Wireless Network, I select
    > Wireless Network and then add. Type in the name of the router change the
    > network authentication to WPA-PSK, leave the AES and type in the network
    > key and confirm key.
    >
    > The Key is provided automatically is greyed out and there's no tick. On
    > the authentication tab every thing is greyed out
    >

    >> Have you tried to delete the network entirely from the list of
    >> Preferred networks (using the "Remove" button), and then use the "Add"
    >> button to re-create it using the proper settings?

    > Yes I have deleted them many times but I remember that I first used set
    > up a wireless network option below the refresh network list. Should I
    > have done this?

    I'm sorry, I'm essentially out of ideas. The only other thing I can
    think of to suggest is to make sure that there is no
    manufacturer-supplied wireless configuration utility running at the same
    time as Windows "wireless zero configuration." This situation usually
    manifests with different problems than the one you describe, but you
    should check anyway. You may have to do some investigation to identify
    any manufacturer-supplied configuration utility. For more info, see:
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  9. Re: Wireless problems

    Lem wrote:
    > bri@n wrote:

    >>> It's not the router. The router has nothing to do with the ability
    >>> to make/change configuration settings on your laptop.
    >>>
    >>> Is this laptop used to connect to a corporate network (or has it been
    >>> used that way)? It's possible that there is a group policy locking
    >>> your configuration options.

    >> No I bought a few days ago, it's a brand new laptop
    >>

    >>> Is the box "The key is provided for me automatically" checked or
    >>> unchecked? It should be UNchecked.

    >> When I go to advanced settings in Choose a Wireless Network, I select
    >> Wireless Network and then add. Type in the name of the router change
    >> the network authentication to WPA-PSK, leave the AES and type in the
    >> network key and confirm key.
    >>
    >> The Key is provided automatically is greyed out and there's no tick.
    >> On the authentication tab every thing is greyed out
    >>

    >>> Have you tried to delete the network entirely from the list of
    >>> Preferred networks (using the "Remove" button), and then use the
    >>> "Add" button to re-create it using the proper settings?

    >> Yes I have deleted them many times but I remember that I first used
    >> set up a wireless network option below the refresh network list.
    >> Should I have done this?

    > I'm sorry, I'm essentially out of ideas. The only other thing I can
    > think of to suggest is to make sure that there is no
    > manufacturer-supplied wireless configuration utility running at the same
    > time as Windows "wireless zero configuration." This situation usually
    > manifests with different problems than the one you describe, but you
    > should check anyway. You may have to do some investigation to identify
    > any manufacturer-supplied configuration utility. For more info, see:
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    Two other long shots:

    - make sure that the box "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
    settings" (on the wireless network connection properties "wireless
    networks" tab) is checked.

    - click the "configure" button next to the name of your wireless adapter
    (on the wireless network connection properties "General" tab) and then
    click the "Advanced" button. Check the list of Properties and their
    values for an incompatible security setting.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  10. Re: Wireless problems

    Lem wrote:
    > Lem wrote:
    >> bri@n wrote:

    >>> No I bought a few days ago, it's a brand new laptop

    >>> When I go to advanced settings in Choose a Wireless Network, I select
    >>> Wireless Network and then add. Type in the name of the router change
    >>> the network authentication to WPA-PSK, leave the AES and type in the
    >>> network key and confirm key.
    >>>
    >>> The Key is provided automatically is greyed out and there's no tick.
    >>> On the authentication tab every thing is greyed out

    >>> Yes I have deleted them many times but I remember that I first used
    >>> set up a wireless network option below the refresh network list.
    >>> Should I have done this?

    >> I'm sorry, I'm essentially out of ideas. The only other thing I can
    >> think of to suggest is to make sure that there is no
    >> manufacturer-supplied wireless configuration utility running at the
    >> same time as Windows "wireless zero configuration." This situation
    >> usually manifests with different problems than the one you describe,
    >> but you should check anyway. You may have to do some investigation to
    >> identify any manufacturer-supplied configuration utility. For more
    >> info, see: http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    >>

    > Two other long shots:
    >
    > - make sure that the box "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
    > settings" (on the wireless network connection properties "wireless
    > networks" tab) is checked.

    That is ticked

    > - click the "configure" button next to the name of your wireless adapter
    > (on the wireless network connection properties "General" tab) and then
    > click the "Advanced" button. Check the list of Properties and their
    > values for an incompatible security setting.

    I will have a look at the properties list. here's hopping something
    jumps out at me?

    Thanks for the help guys

+ Reply to Thread