Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility - Wireless

This is a discussion on Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility - Wireless ; http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx -- Barb Bowman MS Windows-MVP Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

  2. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx
    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

    FWIW department...

    I have screen shots of a fully successful test of a Belkin F5D7230-4 v6002
    router here...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

  3. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    GREAT tool! My Linky passed everything but uPNP. I still have my wireless
    problem, so I have 100' of cat dragging around the house. I am waiting until
    I upgrade the tablet to Vista so I can really dig into it. Yesterday, the
    fulfillment center told me I cannot get a 64bit upgrade even though the
    tablet is compatible
    Tony
    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in message
    > "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx
    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    > FWIW department...
    >
    > I have screen shots of a fully successful test of a Belkin F5D7230-4 v6002
    > router here...
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18076061
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...

  4. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    Tony, check for newer firmware for your Linksys (what model/hardware
    rev/firmware rev is this?)

    Many of the devices that fail will pass with newer firmware.

    I've been testing a new tablet that is fully x64 - see my blog for
    info -

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  5. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in message
    > "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx
    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    > FWIW department...
    >
    > I have screen shots of a fully successful test of a Belkin F5D7230-4 v6002
    > router here...
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18076061
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...

    FWIW department part 2...

    My old Buffalo WBR-G54 running the 2.20 firmware passed all of the tests...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

  6. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    Linksys WRT54GS rev 6 Firmware 1.52.0 (most current)
    Tony
    > Tony, check for newer firmware for your Linksys (what model/hardware
    > rev/firmware rev is this?)
    >
    > Many of the devices that fail will pass with newer firmware.
    >
    > I've been testing a new tablet that is fully x64 - see my blog for
    > info -
    >
    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 05:41:15 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>GREAT tool! My Linky passed everything but uPNP. I still have my wireless
    >>problem, so I have 100' of cat dragging around the house. I am waiting
    >>until
    >>I upgrade the tablet to Vista so I can really dig into it. Yesterday, the
    >>fulfillment center told me I cannot get a 64bit upgrade even though the
    >>tablet is compatible
    >>Tony
    >>"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in message
    >>> "Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    >>> FWIW department...
    >>>
    >>> I have screen shots of a fully successful test of a Belkin F5D7230-4
    >>> v6002
    >>> router here...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18076061
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>>
    >>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    >>> mutual benefit of all of us...
    >>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>> rights...
    >>>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  7. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    I don't see your wireless issue in this thread (but it is unlikely
    to be related to UPnP). Can you explain the problem you are having?

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 05:37:48 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    wrote:

    >Linksys WRT54GS rev 6 Firmware 1.52.0 (most current)
    >Tony
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> Tony, check for newer firmware for your Linksys (what model/hardware
    >> rev/firmware rev is this?)
    >>
    >> Many of the devices that fail will pass with newer firmware.
    >>
    >> I've been testing a new tablet that is fully x64 - see my blog for
    >> info -
    >>
    >> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 05:41:15 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>GREAT tool! My Linky passed everything but uPNP. I still have my wireless
    >>>problem, so I have 100' of cat dragging around the house. I am waiting
    >>>until
    >>>I upgrade the tablet to Vista so I can really dig into it. Yesterday, the
    >>>fulfillment center told me I cannot get a 64bit upgrade even though the
    >>>tablet is compatible
    >>>Tony
    >>>"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  8. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    Barb,
    I was the one with the DLink that when enabling wireless, the router would
    constantly reboot. You suggested downgrading the firmware, and that worked
    UNTIL I changed hard drives and clean reinstalled Vista Ultimate 64bit. I
    had so many issues then that I bought a new (compatible I thought) Linksys.

    Now, when I enable wireless, I lose all of the hard wired computers (XP or
    Vista), and the wireless connection cycles (on the XP tablet) every 120
    seconds or so. That is why I figure I'll wait until the fulfillment center
    sends me the Vista upgrade for the tablet. Installing Vista on the tablet
    will give me a new set of issues.

    I read your blog and am anxious to let you know how my tablet works with
    Vista.
    Tony
    >I don't see your wireless issue in this thread (but it is unlikely
    > to be related to UPnP). Can you explain the problem you are having?
    >
    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 05:37:48 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Linksys WRT54GS rev 6 Firmware 1.52.0 (most current)
    >>Tony
    >>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>> Tony, check for newer firmware for your Linksys (what model/hardware
    >>> rev/firmware rev is this?)
    >>>
    >>> Many of the devices that fail will pass with newer firmware.
    >>>
    >>> I've been testing a new tablet that is fully x64 - see my blog for
    >>> info -

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS Windows-MVP
    >>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  9. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    "Tony Linguini" wrote in message
    > Barb,
    > I was the one with the DLink that when enabling wireless, the router would
    > constantly reboot. You suggested downgrading the firmware, and that worked
    > UNTIL I changed hard drives and clean reinstalled Vista Ultimate 64bit. I
    > had so many issues then that I bought a new (compatible I thought)
    > Linksys.
    >
    > Now, when I enable wireless, I lose all of the hard wired computers (XP or
    > Vista), and the wireless connection cycles (on the XP tablet) every 120
    > seconds or so. That is why I figure I'll wait until the fulfillment center
    > sends me the Vista upgrade for the tablet. Installing Vista on the tablet
    > will give me a new set of issues.
    >
    > I read your blog and am anxious to let you know how my tablet works with
    > Vista.
    > Tony
    > "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>I don't see your wireless issue in this thread (but it is unlikely
    >> to be related to UPnP). Can you explain the problem you are having?
    >>
    >> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 05:37:48 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Linksys WRT54GS rev 6 Firmware 1.52.0 (most current)
    >>>Tony
    >>>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    I think I'll just wait until MS releases an OS that doesn't break everything
    in sight. XP works good enough for me anyway.

    Jim

  10. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    which Linksys (details) and what NIC? I can't remember all the
    threads.

    which tablet do you have?

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 05:40:28 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    wrote:

    >Barb,
    >I was the one with the DLink that when enabling wireless, the router would
    >constantly reboot. You suggested downgrading the firmware, and that worked
    >UNTIL I changed hard drives and clean reinstalled Vista Ultimate 64bit. I
    >had so many issues then that I bought a new (compatible I thought) Linksys.
    >
    >Now, when I enable wireless, I lose all of the hard wired computers (XP or
    >Vista), and the wireless connection cycles (on the XP tablet) every 120
    >seconds or so. That is why I figure I'll wait until the fulfillment center
    >sends me the Vista upgrade for the tablet. Installing Vista on the tablet
    >will give me a new set of issues.
    >
    >I read your blog and am anxious to let you know how my tablet works with
    >Vista.
    >Tony
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>I don't see your wireless issue in this thread (but it is unlikely
    >> to be related to UPnP). Can you explain the problem you are having?
    >>
    >> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 05:37:48 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Linksys WRT54GS rev 6 Firmware 1.52.0 (most current)
    >>>Tony
    >>>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  11. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    Linksys is WRT54GS revision 6. (Wireless G broadband router)
    NIC is Intel onboard Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) LAN subsystem using the
    Intel® 82573E/82573V
    Gigabit Ethernet Controller

    Tablet is Asus R1F and I LOVE it so far (even with XP Tablet os on it)
    Tony
    > which Linksys (details) and what NIC? I can't remember all the
    > threads.
    >
    > which tablet do you have?
    >
    > On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 05:40:28 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Barb,
    >>I was the one with the DLink that when enabling wireless, the router would
    >>constantly reboot. You suggested downgrading the firmware, and that worked
    >>UNTIL I changed hard drives and clean reinstalled Vista Ultimate 64bit. I
    >>had so many issues then that I bought a new (compatible I thought)
    >>Linksys.
    >>
    >>Now, when I enable wireless, I lose all of the hard wired computers (XP or
    >>Vista), and the wireless connection cycles (on the XP tablet) every 120
    >>seconds or so. That is why I figure I'll wait until the fulfillment center
    >>sends me the Vista upgrade for the tablet. Installing Vista on the tablet
    >>will give me a new set of issues.
    >>
    >>I read your blog and am anxious to let you know how my tablet works with
    >>Vista.
    >>Tony
    >>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>>I don't see your wireless issue in this thread (but it is unlikely
    >>> to be related to UPnP). Can you explain the problem you are having?

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS Windows-MVP
    >>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  12. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    does the Linksys router have the 1.52 firmware?
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...#versiondetail

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:09:00 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    wrote:

    >Linksys is WRT54GS revision 6. (Wireless G broadband router)
    >NIC is Intel onboard Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) LAN subsystem using the
    >Intel® 82573E/82573V
    >Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    >
    >Tablet is Asus R1F and I LOVE it so far (even with XP Tablet os on it)
    >Tony
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> which Linksys (details) and what NIC? I can't remember all the
    >> threads.
    >>
    >> which tablet do you have?
    >>
    >> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 05:40:28 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Barb,
    >>>I was the one with the DLink that when enabling wireless, the router would
    >>>constantly reboot. You suggested downgrading the firmware, and that worked
    >>>UNTIL I changed hard drives and clean reinstalled Vista Ultimate 64bit. I
    >>>had so many issues then that I bought a new (compatible I thought)
    >>>Linksys.
    >>>
    >>>Now, when I enable wireless, I lose all of the hard wired computers (XP or
    >>>Vista), and the wireless connection cycles (on the XP tablet) every 120
    >>>seconds or so. That is why I figure I'll wait until the fulfillment center
    >>>sends me the Vista upgrade for the tablet. Installing Vista on the tablet
    >>>will give me a new set of issues.
    >>>
    >>>I read your blog and am anxious to let you know how my tablet works with
    >>>Vista.
    >>>Tony
    >>>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  13. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    Yes, and I even re-flashed it at the direction of Linksys support (even
    though I knew I aldready installed it)
    Linksys also told me to set the Vista computer to a static IP to the router,
    but IPV6 negates that. If I disable IPV6 I get no internet, or a way back
    into the router.
    Tony
    > does the Linksys router have the 1.52 firmware?
    > http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...#versiondetail
    >

    > On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:09:00 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Linksys is WRT54GS revision 6. (Wireless G broadband router)
    >>NIC is Intel onboard Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) LAN subsystem using
    >>the
    >>Intel® 82573E/82573V
    >>Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    >>
    >>Tablet is Asus R1F and I LOVE it so far (even with XP Tablet os on it)
    >>Tony
    >>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>> which Linksys (details) and what NIC? I can't remember all the
    >>> threads.
    >>>
    >>> which tablet do you have?

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS Windows-MVP
    >>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  14. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    what is your wireless security type - WPA2? WPA? WEP? does changing
    the encryption type on the router and client(s) make any difference?

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:11:44 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    wrote:

    >Yes, and I even re-flashed it at the direction of Linksys support (even
    >though I knew I aldready installed it)
    >Linksys also told me to set the Vista computer to a static IP to the router,
    >but IPV6 negates that. If I disable IPV6 I get no internet, or a way back
    >into the router.
    >Tony
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> does the Linksys router have the 1.52 firmware?
    >> http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...#versiondetail
    >>

    >> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:09:00 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Linksys is WRT54GS revision 6. (Wireless G broadband router)
    >>>NIC is Intel onboard Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) LAN subsystem using
    >>>the
    >>>Intel® 82573E/82573V
    >>>Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    >>>
    >>>Tablet is Asus R1F and I LOVE it so far (even with XP Tablet os on it)
    >>>Tony
    >>>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  15. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    I do not use any encryption, I disable wireless when I am not using it.
    Tony
    > what is your wireless security type - WPA2? WPA? WEP? does changing
    > the encryption type on the router and client(s) make any difference?
    >
    > On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:11:44 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, and I even re-flashed it at the direction of Linksys support (even
    >>though I knew I aldready installed it)
    >>Linksys also told me to set the Vista computer to a static IP to the
    >>router,
    >>but IPV6 negates that. If I disable IPV6 I get no internet, or a way back
    >>into the router.
    >>Tony
    >>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>> does the Linksys router have the 1.52 firmware?
    >>> http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...#versiondetail

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS Windows-MVP
    >>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  16. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    could you please try with WPA or WPA2 and leave wireless enabled on
    the router? running with no encryption is very scary. (note that
    security and safety aside, this may make a difference to your
    experience - there was a similar issue a while back that had to do
    with encryption and lost connectivity).

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:54:38 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    wrote:

    >I do not use any encryption, I disable wireless when I am not using it.
    >Tony
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> what is your wireless security type - WPA2? WPA? WEP? does changing
    >> the encryption type on the router and client(s) make any difference?
    >>
    >> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:11:44 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yes, and I even re-flashed it at the direction of Linksys support (even
    >>>though I knew I aldready installed it)
    >>>Linksys also told me to set the Vista computer to a static IP to the
    >>>router,
    >>>but IPV6 negates that. If I disable IPV6 I get no internet, or a way back
    >>>into the router.
    >>>Tony
    >>>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  17. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    Well, I have it working with WEP. Forgive me but I have never dealt with any
    wireless security. The Linksys site only addressed WEP. Doesn't WPA(2) need
    one of those hand held password devices?
    Tony
    > could you please try with WPA or WPA2 and leave wireless enabled on
    > the router? running with no encryption is very scary. (note that
    > security and safety aside, this may make a difference to your
    > experience - there was a similar issue a while back that had to do
    > with encryption and lost connectivity).
    >
    > On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:54:38 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I do not use any encryption, I disable wireless when I am not using it.
    >>Tony
    >>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>> what is your wireless security type - WPA2? WPA? WEP? does changing
    >>> the encryption type on the router and client(s) make any difference?

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS Windows-MVP
    >>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  18. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    That was too good to be true. The XP tablet just disconnected and
    reconnected BUT it ran longer than it ever had.
    Tony
    > Well, I have it working with WEP. Forgive me but I have never dealt with
    > any wireless security. The Linksys site only addressed WEP. Doesn't WPA(2)
    > need one of those hand held password devices?
    > Tony
    > "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> could you please try with WPA or WPA2 and leave wireless enabled on
    >> the router? running with no encryption is very scary. (note that
    >> security and safety aside, this may make a difference to your
    >> experience - there was a similar issue a while back that had to do
    >> with encryption and lost connectivity).
    >>
    >> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:54:38 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I do not use any encryption, I disable wireless when I am not using it.
    >>>Tony
    >>>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  19. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    not sure where you are getting the idea about handheld password
    devices. all you need to do is enter the passphrase in the router's
    admin page after you select WPA or WPA2

    for XP SP2 see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ssecurity.mspx
    for some screen shots and instructions.

    On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 11:49:05 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    wrote:

    >That was too good to be true. The XP tablet just disconnected and
    >reconnected BUT it ran longer than it ever had.
    >Tony
    >"Tony Linguini" wrote in message
    >> Well, I have it working with WEP. Forgive me but I have never dealt with
    >> any wireless security. The Linksys site only addressed WEP. Doesn't WPA(2)
    >> need one of those hand held password devices?
    >> Tony
    >> "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>> could you please try with WPA or WPA2 and leave wireless enabled on
    >>> the router? running with no encryption is very scary. (note that
    >>> security and safety aside, this may make a difference to your
    >>> experience - there was a similar issue a while back that had to do
    >>> with encryption and lost connectivity).

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS Windows-MVP
    >>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  20. Re: Test your router/IGD for Vista Compatibility

    OK, I have WPA2 working, but I am back to the same old disconnect every few
    minutes (on the tablet)
    When I visit my daughter, I connect to her apartment complex open wireless
    with no problems at all.
    I was thinking of blaming One Care, but that negates that theory. This
    weekend I am taking her a Vista computer, and I am afraid I am going to
    really start issues there. One thing that seems weird, when the tablet
    starts disconnecting, I start seeing other available wireless networks, that
    are not really there. Strange.
    Tony
    > not sure where you are getting the idea about handheld password
    > devices. all you need to do is enter the passphrase in the router's
    > admin page after you select WPA or WPA2
    >
    > for XP SP2 see
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ssecurity.mspx
    > for some screen shots and instructions.
    >

    > On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 11:49:05 -0700, "Tony Linguini"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>That was too good to be true. The XP tablet just disconnected and
    >>reconnected BUT it ran longer than it ever had.
    >>Tony
    >>"Tony Linguini" wrote in message
    >>> Well, I have it working with WEP. Forgive me but I have never dealt with
    >>> any wireless security. The Linksys site only addressed WEP. Doesn't
    >>> WPA(2)
    >>> need one of those hand held password devices?
    >>> Tony
    >>> "Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman