Virus worms - Wireless

This is a discussion on Virus worms - Wireless ; Recently after installing a new free A/V programme I was told I had two Win32:Trojan-gen virus worms. One in a downloaded programme and one in Sys Vol Info\_restore. Having just used another well known commercial A/V product and nothing showing ...

  1. Virus worms

    Recently after installing a new free A/V programme I was told I had two
    Win32:Trojan-gen virus worms. One in a downloaded programme and one in Sys
    Vol Info\_restore. Having just used another well known commercial A/V
    product and nothing showing up I wasn't too panicky. I uninstalled the
    commercial programme before installing the free one.

    No being very computer technical literate and new to networking I
    quarantined the virus worms, then removed the downloaded programme.

    There was a warning saying if I was on a network to disconnect the cable to
    stop the virus being passed on I guess, (or wording similar) . My question
    is my network is wireless so is the threat of anything being transferred
    over as great or is it exactly the same? I have since checked my desktop
    with an online checker and advised it is clean. I have a Broadband Modem
    and a separate Router.

    I can't find any information on Symantec about these worms are they
    significant?

    TIA

    B.W.

  2. Re: Virus worms

    Pity you don't tell us the names of the programs?
    I'm guessing Norton didn't find the virus?
    I'd be pretty sure you had a virus but might not have been ACTIVE?
    Next time give more details?

    "B.W." wrote in message
    > Recently after installing a new free A/V programme I was told I had two
    > Win32:Trojan-gen virus worms. One in a downloaded programme and one in
    > Sys Vol Info\_restore. Having just used another well known commercial A/V
    > product and nothing showing up I wasn't too panicky. I uninstalled the
    > commercial programme before installing the free one.
    >
    > No being very computer technical literate and new to networking I
    > quarantined the virus worms, then removed the downloaded programme.
    >
    > There was a warning saying if I was on a network to disconnect the cable
    > to stop the virus being passed on I guess, (or wording similar) . My
    > question is my network is wireless so is the threat of anything being
    > transferred over as great or is it exactly the same? I have since checked
    > my desktop with an online checker and advised it is clean. I have a
    > Broadband Modem and a separate Router.
    >
    > I can't find any information on Symantec about these worms are they
    > significant?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > B.W.

  3. Re: Virus worms

    The programme the virus was in was called Burn4Free, I don't even remember
    downloading it and why, it must have been some time ago.
    Yes it was Norton's that didn't detect anything, I also check for spyware
    every week.

    The reason I posted to this group however is that there was a warning saying
    if I was on a network to disconnect the cable to stop the virus being passed
    on I guess, (or wording similar) . My question is, as my network is
    wireless is the threat of anything being transferred over as great or is it
    exactly the same? In the future if I should be unfortunate again to get
    another virus/worm is there a procedure to protect my other PC that I should
    follow regarding this?

    I am sorry if I can't explain very well but being new to networking I am not
    sure of the terms or procedures etc. I am connected to my desktop via a
    wired Broadband Modem to a phone line and a separate Router is connected to
    it.

    Thanks for all your help

    B.W.

    "BruceM" wrote in message
    > Pity you don't tell us the names of the programs?
    > I'm guessing Norton didn't find the virus?
    > I'd be pretty sure you had a virus but might not have been ACTIVE?
    > Next time give more details?
    >

    > "B.W." wrote in message
    >> Recently after installing a new free A/V programme I was told I had two
    >> Win32:Trojan-gen virus worms. One in a downloaded programme and one in
    >> Sys Vol Info\_restore. Having just used another well known commercial
    >> A/V product and nothing showing up I wasn't too panicky. I uninstalled
    >> the commercial programme before installing the free one.
    >>
    >> No being very computer technical literate and new to networking I
    >> quarantined the virus worms, then removed the downloaded programme.
    >>
    >> There was a warning saying if I was on a network to disconnect the cable
    >> to stop the virus being passed on I guess, (or wording similar) . My
    >> question is my network is wireless so is the threat of anything being
    >> transferred over as great or is it exactly the same? I have since
    >> checked my desktop with an online checker and advised it is clean. >>
    >> I can't find any information on Symantec about these worms are they
    >> significant?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> B.W.

  4. Re: Virus worms

    Hi
    From a Network traffic perspective wire or wireless is the same.
    I do not know ant type of Network you have and what can pass on, these type
    of troubles are not uniform across all circumstances.
    Burn4Free is a Freeware CD burner. I think that it was one of those Adware
    type programs and thus triggered the Antivirus/Trojan application.
    Uninstall Burn4Free and run an Antispyware, and AntiVirus applications to
    clean it up.
    Hopefully that would resolve the issue.
    This page includes some info about Protection applications,
    http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "B.W." wrote in message
    > The programme the virus was in was called Burn4Free, I don't even remember
    > downloading it and why, it must have been some time ago.
    > Yes it was Norton's that didn't detect anything, I also check for spyware
    > every week.
    >
    > The reason I posted to this group however is that there was a warning
    > saying if I was on a network to disconnect the cable to stop the virus
    > being passed on I guess, (or wording similar) . My question is, as my
    > network is wireless is the threat of anything being transferred over as
    > great or is it exactly the same? In the future if I should be unfortunate
    > again to get another virus/worm is there a procedure to protect my other
    > PC that I should follow regarding this?
    >
    > I am sorry if I can't explain very well but being new to networking I am
    > not sure of the terms or procedures etc. I am connected to my desktop via
    > a wired Broadband Modem to a phone line and a separate Router is connected
    > to it.
    >
    > Thanks for all your help
    >
    > B.W.
    >

    > "BruceM" wrote in message
    >> Pity you don't tell us the names of the programs?
    >> I'm guessing Norton didn't find the virus?
    >> I'd be pretty sure you had a virus but might not have been ACTIVE?
    >> Next time give more details?
    >>

    >> "B.W." wrote in message
    >>> Recently after installing a new free A/V programme I was told I had two
    >>> Win32:Trojan-gen virus worms. One in a downloaded programme and one in
    >>> Sys Vol Info\_restore. Having just used another well known commercial
    >>> A/V product and nothing showing up I wasn't too panicky. I uninstalled
    >>> the commercial programme before installing the free one.
    >>>
    >>> No being very computer technical literate and new to networking I
    >>> quarantined the virus worms, then removed the downloaded programme.
    >>>
    >>> There was a warning saying if I was on a network to disconnect the cable
    >>> to stop the virus being passed on I guess, (or wording similar) . My
    >>> question is my network is wireless so is the threat of anything being
    >>> transferred over as great or is it exactly the same? I have since
    >>> checked my desktop with an online checker and advised it is clean. >>
    >>> I can't find any information on Symantec about these worms are they
    >>> significant?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> B.W.

  5. Re: Virus worms

    Thanks Jack, yes I have already done as you suggested, many thanks for the
    link to the website, I will read it and probably print it for future
    reference.

    B.W.

+ Reply to Thread