USB 720 Aircard and a Router? - Wireless

This is a discussion on USB 720 Aircard and a Router? - Wireless ; Can I set a wireless network from a USB 720 Aircard from Verizon to a wireless router then to PC etc? My elderly mother lives in a rural area and up until now could only get dialup. She is getting ...

  1. USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

    Can I set a wireless network from a USB 720 Aircard from Verizon to a
    wireless router then to PC etc? My elderly mother lives in a rural area and
    up until now could only get dialup. She is getting the Aircard to use on her
    laptop and she wants to know if I can set it up on her Desktop the set up
    the wireless network so she can use heer laptop anywhere in the house. Any
    help Please.

    JCW

  2. Re: USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

    JCW wrote:
    > Can I set a wireless network from a USB 720 Aircard from Verizon to a
    > wireless router then to PC etc? My elderly mother lives in a rural area and
    > up until now could only get dialup. She is getting the Aircard to use on her
    > laptop and she wants to know if I can set it up on her Desktop the set up
    > the wireless network so she can use heer laptop anywhere in the house. Any
    > help Please.
    >
    > JCW

    If she uses the USB 720 in her laptop, then she can use it anywhere in
    the house (and outside, as well).

    You can't connect a USB Aircard to any wireless router that I know of.
    They all expect to be connected to a cable or DSL modem via an Ethernet
    cable.

    On the other hand, if the desktop has a USB connector (unclear if the
    USB 720 requires USB 2.0 for full speed) and a regular Ethernet network
    adapter, you can connect the USB 720 to the desktop and then use Windows
    Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share the Aircard's Internet
    connection via the NIC to one of the LAN jacks on the wireless router
    (NOT the "Internet" jack). If the laptop has a 802.11 wireless adapter,
    you can then access the Internet via the router. The only catch is that
    the desktop must be on in order for the laptop to connect.

    If you do this, you will have to change the LAN IP of the router to
    192.168.0.x (192.168.0.2 is good) and disable its DHCP server. See
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html for general directions, and see your
    router's User Guide for specifics.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  3. Re: USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

    Hi
    I doubt that you would find a Wireless Router with a WAN side USB port.
    Connect the USB720 to the Desktop. Make sure that the Desktop has a regular
    wired network card.
    Connect the Wireless Router as an Access Point only device (the principle
    here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html )
    Use Windows ICS to Route the connection (I.e do not use the Router for
    Routing).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "JCW" wrote in message
    > Can I set a wireless network from a USB 720 Aircard from Verizon to a
    > wireless router then to PC etc? My elderly mother lives in a rural area
    > and up until now could only get dialup. She is getting the Aircard to use
    > on her laptop and she wants to know if I can set it up on her Desktop the
    > set up the wireless network so she can use heer laptop anywhere in the
    > house. Any help Please.
    >
    > JCW

  4. Re: USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

    Thanks for the info...I'll let you know how I do...

    JCW
    > Hi
    > I doubt that you would find a Wireless Router with a WAN side USB port.
    > Connect the USB720 to the Desktop. Make sure that the Desktop has a
    > regular wired network card.
    > Connect the Wireless Router as an Access Point only device (the principle
    > here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html )
    > Use Windows ICS to Route the connection (I.e do not use the Router for
    > Routing).
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "JCW" wrote in message
    >> Can I set a wireless network from a USB 720 Aircard from Verizon to a
    >> wireless router then to PC etc? My elderly mother lives in a rural area
    >> and up until now could only get dialup. She is getting the Aircard to use
    >> on her laptop and she wants to know if I can set it up on her Desktop the
    >> set up the wireless network so she can use heer laptop anywhere in the
    >> house. Any help Please.
    >>
    >> JCW

  5. Re: USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

    I'll try again. The Aircard worked fine on either coputer by itself, but I
    still am not able to connect through a router due to the fact that there is
    no way to connect a cable from the modem (Aircard) to the router. Are there
    any ideas that I can try using the Aircard on the Desktop then connecting a
    device from there to get a wireless connection for the laptop? Thanks in
    advance...
    (please be concise as I am not an expert) JCW
    "JCW" wrote in message
    > Thanks for the info...I'll let you know how I do...
    >
    > JCW
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I doubt that you would find a Wireless Router with a WAN side USB port.
    >> Connect the USB720 to the Desktop. Make sure that the Desktop has a
    >> regular wired network card.
    >> Connect the Wireless Router as an Access Point only device (the principle
    >> here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html )
    >> Use Windows ICS to Route the connection (I.e do not use the Router for
    >> Routing).
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "JCW" wrote in message
    >>> Can I set a wireless network from a USB 720 Aircard from Verizon to a
    >>> wireless router then to PC etc? My elderly mother lives in a rural area
    >>> and up until now could only get dialup. She is getting the Aircard to
    >>> use on her laptop and she wants to know if I can set it up on her
    >>> Desktop the set up the wireless network so she can use heer laptop
    >>> anywhere in the house. Any help Please.
    >>>
    >>> JCW

  6. Re: USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

    JCW wrote:
    > I'll try again. The Aircard worked fine on either coputer by itself, but I
    > still am not able to connect through a router due to the fact that there is
    > no way to connect a cable from the modem (Aircard) to the router. Are there
    > any ideas that I can try using the Aircard on the Desktop then connecting a
    > device from there to get a wireless connection for the laptop? Thanks in
    > advance...
    > (please be concise as I am not an expert) JCW
    > "JCW" wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the info...I'll let you know how I do...
    >>
    >> JCW
    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> I doubt that you would find a Wireless Router with a WAN side USB port.
    >>> Connect the USB720 to the Desktop. Make sure that the Desktop has a
    >>> regular wired network card.
    >>> Connect the Wireless Router as an Access Point only device (the principle
    >>> here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html )
    >>> Use Windows ICS to Route the connection (I.e do not use the Router for
    >>> Routing).
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>>

    >>> "JCW" wrote in message

    As Jack suggested on 3/22, use Windows Internet Connection Sharing
    (ICS): setup ICS on the desktop to share the Aircard connection with
    the desktop's NIC; connect the router to the desktop's NIC using one of
    the router's LAN ports; set the router's LAN IP appropriately and turn
    off its DHCP server (Connect the Wireless Router as an Access Point only
    device (the principle here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html)); and
    do not connect anything to the router's WAN/Internet port.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  7. Wireless Router for aircard

    Here is what you need:

    http://www.notebookreview.com/price/...uctID=32092813

    or something similar...I think most of the major air card vendors support this one or something like it

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

  8. Re: Wireless Router for aircard

    SG wrote:
    > Here is what you need:
    >
    > http://www.notebookreview.com/price/...uctID=32092813
    >
    > or something similar...I think most of the major air card vendors support this one or something like it

    > http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Thanks for that info.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  9. Same with a laptop PCMCA

    Hey guys. GREAT info here! I was wondering if the same would work, kind of in reverse. If I have a laptop that I am going to run a Sprint PC card on (Non-usb), can I use ICS as per that link that was given and share the internet connection from the lan port on the laptop out to my Linksys Wireless G router? Would any of the steps change? Thanks alot!

    Christopher

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

  10. Same with a laptop PCMCA

    Hey guys. GREAT info here! I was wondering if the same would work, kind of in reverse. If I have a laptop that I am going to run a Sprint PC card on (Non-usb), can I use ICS as per that link that was given and share the internet connection from the lan port on the laptop out to my Linksys Wireless G router? Would any of the steps change? Thanks alot!

    Christopher

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

  11. usb720

    Has anyone been successful with using a router yet? I purchased one and made my computer the router and the Router the hub. My lap top recoginzes the IP but it will not access the internet. I think there is something going on with the Verizon software blocking it from accessing the internet.

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

  12. Yes you can!

    All,
    I have been using USB 720 on my wireless network at home for 2 years now. You just need a router EVDO capable. I bought a used Kyocera (KR-1) on ebay for $150.00. Also D-link and Cradlepoint make one. You set up the network as usual. I would advise using an external antenna for faster speeds.
    Jeff

  13. Re: USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

    gowman;9205935 Wrote:
    > To improve reception you can just get a metal can and pop a hole in it
    > and place it over the ariel for a much stronger signal, just aim the
    > open bit of the can towards the receiving computer/ariel.
    > The bigger the can the better the signal.

    Correct Gowman, I saw something about this on TV.
    They are using this in Africa to share internet amongst villagers.
    They were putting a big old tin can on a wifi antenna and it was acting
    as a signal booster/satellite dish or whatever.
    Useful tip for all those with poor wifi receptions I guess.

    --
    wildeyed
    wildeyed's Profile: http://nettechguide.com/forums/member.php?u=210

  14. Re: USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

    wildeyed;9211107 Wrote:
    > Correct Gowman, I saw something about this on TV.
    > They are using this in Africa to share internet amongst villagers.
    > They were putting a big old tin can on a wifi antenna and it was acting
    > as a signal booster/satellite dish or whatever.
    > Useful tip for all those with poor wifi receptions I guess.

    You can use an old baked beans can or a large coffee tub etc (the
    bigger the better)

    One thing I noticed was although the signal seemed to go far further it
    only seemed to be really strong in a straight line, so you have to aim
    it.

    --
    gowman
    gowman's Profile: http://nettechguide.com/forums/member.php?u=73

  15. Re: USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

    gowman;9214394 Wrote:
    > You can use an old baked beans can or a large coffee tub etc (the bigger
    > the better)
    >
    > One thing I noticed was although the signal seemed to go far further it
    > only seemed to be really strong in a straight line, so you have to aim
    > it.

    Nice tip.
    May be of use for extending the range of my router to my XBox 360 wifi
    adapter.

    --
    queeeen
    queeeen's Profile: http://nettechguide.com/forums/member.php?u=233