ad hoc computers don't connect - Wireless

This is a discussion on ad hoc computers don't connect - Wireless ; The situation here is simple. My roomate and I had an ad hoc network working just fine for about a month. Then he went to a wireless cafe and had to screw around a little bit to get on the ...

  1. ad hoc computers don't connect

    The situation here is simple. My roomate and I had an ad hoc network working
    just fine for about a month. Then he went to a wireless cafe and had to screw
    around a little bit to get on the internet there. Now our computers don't
    communicate well at all. When I try to set up a network, they both say
    "acquiring network address" for a long time, and eventually both say
    "connected". However, neither's IP address ever changes; one is
    169.254.110.161, and the other's is 169.254.92.65, which I recall from last
    time setting this up is not good. And it seems like A can ping B well, but B
    cannot ping A (request timed out).

    I'm not sure what to do. Last time I set this up I was having pretty much
    the same problem and somehow after many trials it worked itself out without
    me having to do anything special that I recall. I've tried making different
    networks, from both computers, with and without passwords. No firewalls are
    up or virus software running or anything. I'm at a loss. Can anyone help?

    Thanks,
    Daniel

  2. Re: ad hoc computers don't connect

    Hi
    Ad-Hoc connection is a different configuration than the Infrastructure type
    of connection that is used by. Public Hotspots (and most of other Wireless
    sources).
    The Computer' Wireless is probably now in Infrastructure mode and need to be
    reconfigured to Ad-Hoc.
    Read the Wireless section of the computer manual it probably would have
    instruction.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Daniel.Stud" wrote in message
    > The situation here is simple. My roomate and I had an ad hoc network
    > working
    > just fine for about a month. Then he went to a wireless cafe and had to
    > screw
    > around a little bit to get on the internet there. Now our computers don't
    > communicate well at all. When I try to set up a network, they both say
    > "acquiring network address" for a long time, and eventually both say
    > "connected". However, neither's IP address ever changes; one is
    > 169.254.110.161, and the other's is 169.254.92.65, which I recall from
    > last
    > time setting this up is not good. And it seems like A can ping B well,
    > but B
    > cannot ping A (request timed out).
    >
    > I'm not sure what to do. Last time I set this up I was having pretty much
    > the same problem and somehow after many trials it worked itself out
    > without
    > me having to do anything special that I recall. I've tried making
    > different
    > networks, from both computers, with and without passwords. No firewalls
    > are
    > up or virus software running or anything. I'm at a loss. Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniel

+ Reply to Thread