Way to script shutting off wireless NIC when docked? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Way to script shutting off wireless NIC when docked? - Wireless ; Hi All, We are using wpa to secure our wireless network and it works great (other than roaming.) The problem we have is that employees with laptops leave the wireless nic turned on while docked, wasting bandwidth off of the ...

  1. Way to script shutting off wireless NIC when docked?

    Hi All,

    We are using wpa to secure our wireless network and it works great (other
    than roaming.) The problem we have is that employees with laptops leave the
    wireless nic turned on while docked, wasting bandwidth off of the AP's from
    mobile users who need it.

    I'm wondering if anyone has been able to somehow script or automatically
    turn off wireless radio while docked? (Not sure if it would be a hardware
    profile thing) Also..many users like to 'hot dock', so not sure if hardware
    profile would help.

    Thanks much

  2. Re: Way to script shutting off wireless NIC when docked?

    Hi
    It takes Bandwidth when it communicates (not by just being On). You can tune
    the Metrics so that the communication will go through the wired NiC.
    http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Liam Curtis" wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > We are using wpa to secure our wireless network and it works great (other
    > than roaming.) The problem we have is that employees with laptops leave
    > the wireless nic turned on while docked, wasting bandwidth off of the AP's
    > from mobile users who need it.
    >
    > I'm wondering if anyone has been able to somehow script or automatically
    > turn off wireless radio while docked? (Not sure if it would be a hardware
    > profile thing) Also..many users like to 'hot dock', so not sure if
    > hardware profile would help.
    >
    > Thanks much

  3. Re: Way to script shutting off wireless NIC when docked?

    Jack,

    Thanks a million for the reply. This sounds like a great way to go!

    > Hi
    > It takes Bandwidth when it communicates (not by just being On). You can
    > tune the Metrics so that the communication will go through the wired NiC.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Liam Curtis" wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> We are using wpa to secure our wireless network and it works great (other
    >> than roaming.) The problem we have is that employees with laptops leave
    >> the wireless nic turned on while docked, wasting bandwidth off of the
    >> AP's from mobile users who need it.
    >>
    >> I'm wondering if anyone has been able to somehow script or automatically
    >> turn off wireless radio while docked? (Not sure if it would be a hardware
    >> profile thing) Also..many users like to 'hot dock', so not sure if
    >> hardware profile would help.
    >>
    >> Thanks much

  4. RE: Way to script shutting off wireless NIC when docked?

    "Liam Curtis" wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > We are using wpa to secure our wireless network and it works great (other
    > than roaming.) The problem we have is that employees with laptops leave the
    > wireless nic turned on while docked, wasting bandwidth off of the AP's from
    > mobile users who need it.
    >
    > I'm wondering if anyone has been able to somehow script or automatically
    > turn off wireless radio while docked? (Not sure if it would be a hardware
    > profile thing) Also..many users like to 'hot dock', so not sure if hardware
    > profile would help.

    Some wireless software has similar features. For one, Lenovo Access
    Connections
    will automatically shut down wireless radio when a wired LAN is connected.

    Maybe it is not so hard to write a script or program that will disable the
    wireless adapter (turning the wireless radio off is harder, as it requires
    knowledge of proprietary information of manufacturers ).
    As a starting point you can take the MS devcon utility (KB311272).

    Regards,
    --PA

  5. Re: Way to script shutting off wireless NIC when docked?

    Great util!

    Thanks for that tip, as well!

    "Pavel A." wrote in message
    news174603F-CA20-47C4-8DD4-206B81A9F110@microsoft.com...
    > "Liam Curtis" wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> We are using wpa to secure our wireless network and it works great (other
    >> than roaming.) The problem we have is that employees with laptops leave
    >> the
    >> wireless nic turned on while docked, wasting bandwidth off of the AP's
    >> from
    >> mobile users who need it.
    >>
    >> I'm wondering if anyone has been able to somehow script or automatically
    >> turn off wireless radio while docked? (Not sure if it would be a hardware
    >> profile thing) Also..many users like to 'hot dock', so not sure if
    >> hardware
    >> profile would help.

    > Some wireless software has similar features. For one, Lenovo Access
    > Connections
    > will automatically shut down wireless radio when a wired LAN is connected.
    >
    > Maybe it is not so hard to write a script or program that will disable
    > the
    > wireless adapter (turning the wireless radio off is harder, as it requires
    > knowledge of proprietary information of manufacturers ).
    > As a starting point you can take the MS devcon utility (KB311272).
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA

+ Reply to Thread