Cannot connect to wireless network or standby - Wireless

This is a discussion on Cannot connect to wireless network or standby - Wireless ; after removing vista (because my laptop was too slow) i reinstalled XP Home edition on it but all my drivers were removed, so i went on another computer and downloaded sound drivers and network drivers, but there is a problem ...

  1. Cannot connect to wireless network or standby

    after removing vista (because my laptop was too slow) i reinstalled XP Home
    edition on it but all my drivers were removed, so i went on another computer
    and downloaded sound drivers and network drivers, but there is a problem with
    the wireless network drivers:

    - I cannot connect to my wireless network, but the computer shows it in the
    avalible networks, so i have to use a network cable

    - my laptop does not have the option to standby or hibernate anymore

    any suggestions?

    note: my computer is a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with XP Home

  2. Re: Cannot connect to wireless network or standby

    Hi
    Take a close look at the DEll support page, there is probably more Drivers
    that are Dell Laptop specific that need to be Downloaded and installed.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "CrowMaster" wrote in message
    > after removing vista (because my laptop was too slow) i reinstalled XP
    > edition on it but all my drivers were removed, so i went on another
    > computer
    > and downloaded sound drivers and network drivers, but there is a problem
    > with
    > the wireless network drivers:
    >
    > - I cannot connect to my wireless network, but the computer shows it in
    > the
    > avalible networks, so i have to use a network cable
    >
    > - my laptop does not have the option to standby or hibernate anymore
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > note: my computer is a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with XP Home

  3. Re: Cannot connect to wireless network or standby

    i have downloaded the drivers and software for the wireless card, but i still
    can only see the wireless network, not connect to it.

    in the properties of the driver under device manager, it states that the
    device is running properly

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Take a close look at the DEll support page, there is probably more Drivers
    > that are Dell Laptop specific that need to be Downloaded and installed.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "CrowMaster" wrote in message
    > > after removing vista (because my laptop was too slow) i reinstalled XP
    > > edition on it but all my drivers were removed, so i went on another
    > > computer
    > > and downloaded sound drivers and network drivers, but there is a problem
    > > with
    > > the wireless network drivers:
    > >
    > > - I cannot connect to my wireless network, but the computer shows it in
    > > the
    > > avalible networks, so i have to use a network cable
    > >
    > > - my laptop does not have the option to standby or hibernate anymore
    > >
    > > any suggestions?
    > >
    > > note: my computer is a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with XP Home

  4. Re: Cannot connect to wireless network or standby

    Hi
    Seeing the signal and not be able to connect can result of few issues.
    1. The Firewall blocks some aspect of the connection, try to temporarily
    disable the Firewall and see if it then connects.
    2. The Wireless seeing of the computer do not match the one in the Router.
    Unfortunately I do not have yet clear instructions and Screen for Vista
    (would have then in a week or two) these page discuss WinXP the principles
    are the same but the menu structure might be different. Give a try by
    sticking to the principles.

    >i have downloaded the drivers and software for the wireless card, but i
    >still
    > can only see the wireless network, not connect to it.
    >
    > in the properties of the driver under device manager, it states that the
    > device is running properly
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Take a close look at the DEll support page, there is probably more
    >> Drivers
    >> that are Dell Laptop specific that need to be Downloaded and installed.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "CrowMaster" wrote in message
    >> > after removing vista (because my laptop was too slow) i reinstalled XP
    >> > edition on it but all my drivers were removed, so i went on another
    >> > computer
    >> > and downloaded sound drivers and network drivers, but there is a
    >> > problem
    >> > with
    >> > the wireless network drivers:
    >> >
    >> > - I cannot connect to my wireless network, but the computer shows it in
    >> > the
    >> > avalible networks, so i have to use a network cable
    >> >
    >> > - my laptop does not have the option to standby or hibernate anymore
    >> >
    >> > any suggestions?
    >> >
    >> > note: my computer is a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with XP Home

  5. Re: Cannot connect to wireless network or standby

    thanks for the links, i tried everything they suggested but it still wont work.

    im pretty sure it is to do with the driver - after installing XP home i had
    to install sound and video drivers that i downloaded from dell off another
    computer, and i got all the recommended network drivers, but i think there
    still may be something missing

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Seeing the signal and not be able to connect can result of few issues.
    > 1. The Firewall blocks some aspect of the connection, try to temporarily
    > disable the Firewall and see if it then connects.
    > 2. The Wireless seeing of the computer do not match the one in the Router.
    > Unfortunately I do not have yet clear instructions and Screen for Vista
    > (would have then in a week or two) these page discuss WinXP the principles
    > are the same but the menu structure might be different. Give a try by
    > sticking to the principles.
    > My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Wireless - Basic Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "CrowMaster" wrote in message
    > >i have downloaded the drivers and software for the wireless card, but i
    > >still
    > > can only see the wireless network, not connect to it.
    > >
    > > in the properties of the driver under device manager, it states that the
    > > device is running properly
    > >
    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> Take a close look at the DEll support page, there is probably more
    > >> Drivers
    > >> that are Dell Laptop specific that need to be Downloaded and installed.
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >>
    > >> "CrowMaster" wrote in message

  6. Check your router encryption code

    Hi there,

    if you have all the lastest drive {confirm by you}. Check your router setting again, make sure you have the right key {you never know}. if you see the ball going back and forth trying to connect to your wireless network... 99% you have the key wrong.
    ~~~~~
    Keep us post. this is enteresting.

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

  7. Re: Cannot connect to wireless network or standby

    This might be too simple, but - have you switched off then re-booted the
    ROUTER?
    My daughter's pc keeps "losing" her wireless connection to our network -
    this works every time.
    Apols if you've already tried this!

    "CrowMaster" wrote in message
    > after removing vista (because my laptop was too slow) i reinstalled XP
    > edition on it but all my drivers were removed, so i went on another
    > computer
    > and downloaded sound drivers and network drivers, but there is a problem
    > with
    > the wireless network drivers:
    >
    > - I cannot connect to my wireless network, but the computer shows it in
    > the
    > avalible networks, so i have to use a network cable
    >
    > - my laptop does not have the option to standby or hibernate anymore
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > note: my computer is a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with XP Home

  8. Re: Cannot connect to wireless network or standby

    yes i have rebooted the router - i used to have the same problem ocassionally
    with my other PC but i have tried that several times and still no luck with
    making the connection : (

    "Silvabod" wrote:

    > This might be too simple, but - have you switched off then re-booted the
    > ROUTER?
    > My daughter's pc keeps "losing" her wireless connection to our network -
    > this works every time.
    > Apols if you've already tried this!
    >
    > "CrowMaster" wrote in message
    > > after removing vista (because my laptop was too slow) i reinstalled XP
    > > edition on it but all my drivers were removed, so i went on another
    > > computer
    > > and downloaded sound drivers and network drivers, but there is a problem
    > > with
    > > the wireless network drivers:
    > >
    > > - I cannot connect to my wireless network, but the computer shows it in
    > > the
    > > avalible networks, so i have to use a network cable
    > >
    > > - my laptop does not have the option to standby or hibernate anymore
    > >
    > > any suggestions?
    > >
    > > note: my computer is a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with XP Home

  9. RE: Check your router encryption code

    thanks - i have got the latest drivers and tried the key many times (and
    double checked on onther computers) but still i cant connect!!?

    "Ryan. Chau" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > if you have all the lastest drive {confirm by you}. Check your router setting again, make sure you have the right key {you never know}. if you see the ball going back and forth trying to connect to your wireless network... 99% you have the key wrong.
    > ~~~~~
    > Keep us post. this is enteresting.

    > http://www.eggheadcafe.com

+ Reply to Thread