Is my router defective? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Is my router defective? - Wireless ; I have a small home network set up. It's been working fine with a Linksys WRT54G and a Linksys 5 port switch (EZXS55W I think, the print is very small). Until yesterday, the Router was connected to a DW6000 modem ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Is my router defective?

  1. Is my router defective?

    I have a small home network set up. It's been working fine with a
    Linksys WRT54G and a Linksys 5 port switch (EZXS55W I think, the print
    is very small). Until yesterday, the Router was connected to a DW6000
    modem (formerly DirecWay, now Hughesnet)satellite internet service. I
    suddenly lost all internet connectivity yesterday.

    After a lot of phone calls to Direcway support, I finally found that I
    did have internet service with the DW6000 connected directly to my
    computer, but that left me with no internet connectivity to any other
    computers. At that time, I did still have local LAN connectivity.

    After I finished messing up things by trying everything tech support
    at Direcway suggested, I no longer had local LAN connectivity between
    the various "wired" computers, but still had wireless LAN service.

    Well, to get internet service to all the computers, I finally ended up
    with the DW6000 connected to the Linksys 5-port switch, and all the
    wired computers also connected to that switch. So now I can access the
    internet from any wired LAN computer, but not any wireless ones.

    If I try to link the Switch and router together, the local LAN
    fails... leading me to believe that I either have some settings on the
    router wrong, or the "wired" ports on the router have simply gone bad.
    Can anyone tell from this what may be the case? Do I need a new
    router, or just some expertise in setting this up again?

    Oh yes, I also have a wireless print server.... Of course that quit
    working when I went from the "wireless/wired combination" LAN to a
    wired-only LAN. So I then connected a couple of Netgear wireless USB
    adapters I had to the two computers I use the most, and by using the
    wireless part of the WRT54G, I can stil print to the printer via the
    wireless print server.

    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

  2. Re: Is my router defective?

    Hi
    I am not familiar with the Hughesnet system per-se.
    The DW6000 is a Combo Modem Router. For authentication purposes it possible
    that Hughesnet changed it back to a Router (otherwise your computer would
    work of the switch).
    Try to use the Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point.
    Instructions here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    news:sljrv217c055nfqvjkgod32lmdb3bmofq7@4ax.com...
    >I have a small home network set up. It's been working fine with a
    > Linksys WRT54G and a Linksys 5 port switch (EZXS55W I think, the print
    > is very small). Until yesterday, the Router was connected to a DW6000
    > modem (formerly DirecWay, now Hughesnet)satellite internet service. I
    > suddenly lost all internet connectivity yesterday.
    >
    > After a lot of phone calls to Direcway support, I finally found that I
    > did have internet service with the DW6000 connected directly to my
    > computer, but that left me with no internet connectivity to any other
    > computers. At that time, I did still have local LAN connectivity.
    >
    > After I finished messing up things by trying everything tech support
    > at Direcway suggested, I no longer had local LAN connectivity between
    > the various "wired" computers, but still had wireless LAN service.
    >
    > Well, to get internet service to all the computers, I finally ended up
    > with the DW6000 connected to the Linksys 5-port switch, and all the
    > wired computers also connected to that switch. So now I can access the
    > internet from any wired LAN computer, but not any wireless ones.
    >
    > If I try to link the Switch and router together, the local LAN
    > fails... leading me to believe that I either have some settings on the
    > router wrong, or the "wired" ports on the router have simply gone bad.
    > Can anyone tell from this what may be the case? Do I need a new
    > router, or just some expertise in setting this up again?
    >
    > Oh yes, I also have a wireless print server.... Of course that quit
    > working when I went from the "wireless/wired combination" LAN to a
    > wired-only LAN. So I then connected a couple of Netgear wireless USB
    > adapters I had to the two computers I use the most, and by using the
    > wireless part of the WRT54G, I can stil print to the printer via the
    > wireless print server.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    > Charlie Hoffpauir
    > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/




  3. Re: Is my router defective?

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:16:52 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >I am not familiar with the Hughesnet system per-se.
    >The DW6000 is a Combo Modem Router. For authentication purposes it possible
    >that Hughesnet changed it back to a Router (otherwise your computer would
    >work of the switch).
    >Try to use the Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point.
    >Instructions here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >


    Thanks! It's working now as a switch!
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

  4. Re: Is my router defective?

    Here is my problem. I have a Linksys-G router for my lap. I lost connection
    and called Linksys, who eventually discovered that my "Windows Zero
    Configuration" failed to work. That presumably is importatnt to wifi
    connectivity. The question is how do I get it restored. Thanks

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am not familiar with the Hughesnet system per-se.
    > The DW6000 is a Combo Modem Router. For authentication purposes it possible
    > that Hughesnet changed it back to a Router (otherwise your computer would
    > work of the switch).
    > Try to use the Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point.
    > Instructions here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    > news:sljrv217c055nfqvjkgod32lmdb3bmofq7@4ax.com...
    > >I have a small home network set up. It's been working fine with a
    > > Linksys WRT54G and a Linksys 5 port switch (EZXS55W I think, the print
    > > is very small). Until yesterday, the Router was connected to a DW6000
    > > modem (formerly DirecWay, now Hughesnet)satellite internet service. I
    > > suddenly lost all internet connectivity yesterday.
    > >
    > > After a lot of phone calls to Direcway support, I finally found that I
    > > did have internet service with the DW6000 connected directly to my
    > > computer, but that left me with no internet connectivity to any other
    > > computers. At that time, I did still have local LAN connectivity.
    > >
    > > After I finished messing up things by trying everything tech support
    > > at Direcway suggested, I no longer had local LAN connectivity between
    > > the various "wired" computers, but still had wireless LAN service.
    > >
    > > Well, to get internet service to all the computers, I finally ended up
    > > with the DW6000 connected to the Linksys 5-port switch, and all the
    > > wired computers also connected to that switch. So now I can access the
    > > internet from any wired LAN computer, but not any wireless ones.
    > >
    > > If I try to link the Switch and router together, the local LAN
    > > fails... leading me to believe that I either have some settings on the
    > > router wrong, or the "wired" ports on the router have simply gone bad.
    > > Can anyone tell from this what may be the case? Do I need a new
    > > router, or just some expertise in setting this up again?
    > >
    > > Oh yes, I also have a wireless print server.... Of course that quit
    > > working when I went from the "wireless/wired combination" LAN to a
    > > wired-only LAN. So I then connected a couple of Netgear wireless USB
    > > adapters I had to the two computers I use the most, and by using the
    > > wireless part of the WRT54G, I can stil print to the printer via the
    > > wireless print server.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    > > Charlie Hoffpauir
    > > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    >
    >
    >


  5. Re: Is my router defective?

    Richard wrote:
    > Here is my problem. I have a Linksys-G router for my lap. I lost connection
    > and called Linksys, who eventually discovered that my "Windows Zero
    > Configuration" failed to work. That presumably is importatnt to wifi
    > connectivity. The question is how do I get it restored. Thanks
    >




    You really should start your own thread, with a descriptive subject,
    rather than just adding on to an already closed topic.

    You also would be better off using a newsreader, such as Outlook
    Express, rather than the web-based interface to these newsgroups.

    Yes, Windows Zero Configuration is important to wifi connectivity. But
    it's also important to understand what you mean by "failed to work."
    Your laptop has some sort of wifi hardware, either built-in or added as
    a PC Card or USB adapter. This hardware must be "managed" and
    "configured" in order to work. The manufacturers of such hardware
    supply utility programs for this purpose. Microsoft also supplies its
    own utility: WZC. You should not use both utilities at the same time.

    With that in mind, see http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    If you need more help, post back with more information concerning the
    wifi hardware in your laptop (make/model of laptop if built-in;
    make/model of adapter).

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

  6. Re: Is my router defective?

    Ok. Thanks very much for getting back. I can't be sure whether the wifi
    hardware is built in or added as PC Card or USB adaptor. I am trying to reach
    the person who installed it at my former employer. What i do recall is going
    through an involved configuration of various windows properties with the
    Linksys help person, and we came across Zero Configuration, but it was not
    checked, and she said that seemed to be the problem.

    I don't know if this is the data you are seeking, but its Windows XP 2002 on
    a Dell Inspiron 600m. Adapter is RCA and the model is DCM425. Thanks again.

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    > > Here is my problem. I have a Linksys-G router for my lap. I lost connection
    > > and called Linksys, who eventually discovered that my "Windows Zero
    > > Configuration" failed to work. That presumably is importatnt to wifi
    > > connectivity. The question is how do I get it restored. Thanks
    > >

    >
    >
    >
    > You really should start your own thread, with a descriptive subject,
    > rather than just adding on to an already closed topic.
    >
    > You also would be better off using a newsreader, such as Outlook
    > Express, rather than the web-based interface to these newsgroups.
    >
    > Yes, Windows Zero Configuration is important to wifi connectivity. But
    > it's also important to understand what you mean by "failed to work."
    > Your laptop has some sort of wifi hardware, either built-in or added as
    > a PC Card or USB adapter. This hardware must be "managed" and
    > "configured" in order to work. The manufacturers of such hardware
    > supply utility programs for this purpose. Microsoft also supplies its
    > own utility: WZC. You should not use both utilities at the same time.
    >
    > With that in mind, see http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    >
    > If you need more help, post back with more information concerning the
    > wifi hardware in your laptop (make/model of laptop if built-in;
    > make/model of adapter).
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >
    > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >


  7. Re: Is my router defective?

    Your RCA DCM425 is your cable modem. Your Dell 600m has built-in
    wireless capability.

    Let's start at the beginning.

    What happened just before you "lost connection"?

    Why did you think it was your Linksys router?

    What, exactly, happens when you attempt to connect to your router? List
    what you do and what results you see.

    Have you tried/been able to connect to any other wireless networks since
    the problem started? Can you "see" any other wireless networks?

    Have you tried/been able to connect to your Linksys router using an
    Ethernet cable, and get to the Internet that way?

    When you went through the involved configuration with the Linksys
    support person, did you eventually enable WZC and set it to "Automatic"?
    Did you read and follow the directions to start WZC at the link in my
    last post?

    Are you sure that the wireless adapter in the laptop is turned on?
    Press the Fn and F2 keys at the same time to toggle the wifi on and off.

    Do you see the icon for the wireless network connection in the
    notification area (next to the clock)?

    See and follow the steps here: http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

    Richard wrote:
    > Ok. Thanks very much for getting back. I can't be sure whether the wifi
    > hardware is built in or added as PC Card or USB adaptor. I am trying to reach
    > the person who installed it at my former employer. What i do recall is going
    > through an involved configuration of various windows properties with the
    > Linksys help person, and we came across Zero Configuration, but it was not
    > checked, and she said that seemed to be the problem.
    >
    > I don't know if this is the data you are seeking, but its Windows XP 2002 on
    > a Dell Inspiron 600m. Adapter is RCA and the model is DCM425. Thanks again.
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>> Here is my problem. I have a Linksys-G router for my lap. I lost connection
    >>> and called Linksys, who eventually discovered that my "Windows Zero
    >>> Configuration" failed to work. That presumably is importatnt to wifi
    >>> connectivity. The question is how do I get it restored. Thanks
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> You really should start your own thread, with a descriptive subject,
    >> rather than just adding on to an already closed topic.
    >>
    >> You also would be better off using a newsreader, such as Outlook
    >> Express, rather than the web-based interface to these newsgroups.
    >>
    >> Yes, Windows Zero Configuration is important to wifi connectivity. But
    >> it's also important to understand what you mean by "failed to work."
    >> Your laptop has some sort of wifi hardware, either built-in or added as
    >> a PC Card or USB adapter. This hardware must be "managed" and
    >> "configured" in order to work. The manufacturers of such hardware
    >> supply utility programs for this purpose. Microsoft also supplies its
    >> own utility: WZC. You should not use both utilities at the same time.
    >>
    >> With that in mind, see http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    >>
    >> If you need more help, post back with more information concerning the
    >> wifi hardware in your laptop (make/model of laptop if built-in;
    >> make/model of adapter).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >>


    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

+ Reply to Thread