Trouble Setting Up Laptop to Share Network Printer - Wireless

This is a discussion on Trouble Setting Up Laptop to Share Network Printer - Wireless ; Hi All, I am having some problems setting up my step-mothers laptop so that she can print on our home network printer. We have an HP LaserJet 5, and there are two other computers in our home network - one ...

  1. Trouble Setting Up Laptop to Share Network Printer

    Hi All,

    I am having some problems setting up my step-mothers laptop so that
    she can print on our home network printer. We have an HP LaserJet 5,
    and there are two other computers in our home network - one in my
    room, and one in my brother's room. The printer is connected to the
    computer in my room, and I have connected my brothers computer so
    that
    it can print on the printer as well, so it should not be hard to do
    the same for my step-mother's laptop.

    I think the problem is arising because she works for a big company,
    and it seems that they have configured the computer to only look in
    the company network when adding a computer. When I use the wizard to
    do a search, it does not look in my home work network, but only the
    work directory. I suspect that there is a file that the wizard is
    referring to which has been modified to only look in the work
    networks.

    Can anyone help me with this problem, and perhaps help me to locate
    the file (if it exists) that is stopping the computer from looking
    outside of the work network?

    At the moment, my step-mother's laptop is succesfully sharing the
    home
    network internet connection, but although I am not 100% sure, I don't
    think that she can share files between her laptop and mine or my
    brothers computer.

    Thanks in advance,

    Ilan

    PS: Sorry for the repeat post. I was informed that I posted in the
    wrong group, and was directed to this one.

  2. Re: Trouble Setting Up Laptop to Share Network Printer

    Hi
    I would suggest that you should leave it alone. Changing workplace's Network
    settings without permission is considered by most businesses as a bridge of
    security and get your mom into trouble.
    She should explain in work that she would like to print and share at home
    and they would tell her what to do.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "ilan" wrote in message
    news:1174262033.567023.48330@l77g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am having some problems setting up my step-mothers laptop so that
    > she can print on our home network printer. We have an HP LaserJet 5,
    > and there are two other computers in our home network - one in my
    > room, and one in my brother's room. The printer is connected to the
    > computer in my room, and I have connected my brothers computer so
    > that
    > it can print on the printer as well, so it should not be hard to do
    > the same for my step-mother's laptop.
    >

    > I think the problem is arising because she works for a big company,
    > and it seems that they have configured the computer to only look in
    > the company network when adding a computer. When I use the wizard to
    > do a search, it does not look in my home work network, but only the
    > work directory. I suspect that there is a file that the wizard is
    > referring to which has been modified to only look in the work
    > networks.
    >

    > Can anyone help me with this problem, and perhaps help me to locate
    > the file (if it exists) that is stopping the computer from looking
    > outside of the work network?
    >

    > At the moment, my step-mother's laptop is succesfully sharing the
    > home
    > network internet connection, but although I am not 100% sure, I don't
    > think that she can share files between her laptop and mine or my
    > brothers computer.
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    >

    > Ilan
    >
    > PS: Sorry for the repeat post. I was informed that I posted in the
    > wrong group, and was directed to this one.

  3. Re: Trouble Setting Up Laptop to Share Network Printer

    Thanks for the reply Jack. I will tell her to contact her Help Desk so
    that everything is above board, and they can provide instructions as
    well...

+ Reply to Thread