added external HD but can't access it on network - Wireless

This is a discussion on added external HD but can't access it on network - Wireless ; Greetings group. I have 3 computers on a home network. The host is an XP desktop. Upstairs is an XP laptop. I also have a Vista laptop on the network. Everything seems to work ok except for this new problem. ...

  1. added external HD but can't access it on network

    Greetings group. I have 3 computers on a home network. The host is an XP
    desktop. Upstairs is an XP laptop. I also have a Vista laptop on the
    network. Everything seems to work ok except for this new problem.
    This weekend my wife, who has the XP laptop upstairs, installed an external
    hard drive to do backups and store photos. It is a USB connection to her
    laptop. After setting it up, we opened the sharing and security tab and
    selected to share the entire drive on the network, root and all. On her
    laptop, the icon for that drive has the little hand under it to indicate that
    it is shared.
    Now, going to the other two computers on the network, I can see the external
    HD on her computer, but I cannot open it or access it. I get this message
    when I try to map the network drive: "You might not have permission to use
    this network resource. Contact the administrator (that's me) of this server
    to find out if you have access permissions." Then it says "Not enough server
    storage is available to process this command."
    What do I need to do to get access to the external hard drive? Thanks for
    your comments.
    --
    spatin

  2. Re: added external HD but can't access it on network

    Hi
    If you want any one to freely connect to the Drive Switch Vista's Guest
    Account On.
    In the Drive Sharing Menu Click on Advance Sharing, click on permissions and
    check what ever you want to allow.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "spatin" wrote in message
    > Greetings group. I have 3 computers on a home network. The host is an XP
    > desktop. Upstairs is an XP laptop. I also have a Vista laptop on the
    > network. Everything seems to work ok except for this new problem.
    > This weekend my wife, who has the XP laptop upstairs, installed an
    > external
    > hard drive to do backups and store photos. It is a USB connection to her
    > laptop. After setting it up, we opened the sharing and security tab and
    > selected to share the entire drive on the network, root and all. On her
    > laptop, the icon for that drive has the little hand under it to indicate
    > that
    > it is shared.
    > Now, going to the other two computers on the network, I can see the
    > external
    > HD on her computer, but I cannot open it or access it. I get this message
    > when I try to map the network drive: "You might not have permission to
    > use
    > this network resource. Contact the administrator (that's me) of this
    > server
    > to find out if you have access permissions." Then it says "Not enough
    > server
    > storage is available to process this command."
    > What do I need to do to get access to the external hard drive? Thanks for
    > your comments.
    > --
    > spatin

  3. Re: added external HD but can't access it on network

    Jack: I have the same problem except I don't have Vista. I have desktop XP
    Media Center, laptop XP tablet and laptop XPMC. The usb drives are connected
    to desktop. I have done all I can setup but some reason xpmc laptop will not
    access the USB drives. The XP Tablet access the USB drives for read only. I
    have netbios setup on all machine.

    I have Norton Internet Security 2007 installed on the Desktop but I don't
    think it is the problem. Any help appreciated.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > If you want any one to freely connect to the Drive Switch Vista's Guest
    > Account On.
    > In the Drive Sharing Menu Click on Advance Sharing, click on permissions and
    > check what ever you want to allow.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "spatin" wrote in message
    > > Greetings group. I have 3 computers on a home network. The host is an XP
    > > desktop. Upstairs is an XP laptop. I also have a Vista laptop on the
    > > network. Everything seems to work ok except for this new problem.
    > > This weekend my wife, who has the XP laptop upstairs, installed an
    > > external
    > > hard drive to do backups and store photos. It is a USB connection to her
    > > laptop. After setting it up, we opened the sharing and security tab and
    > > selected to share the entire drive on the network, root and all. On her
    > > laptop, the icon for that drive has the little hand under it to indicate
    > > that
    > > it is shared.
    > > Now, going to the other two computers on the network, I can see the
    > > external
    > > HD on her computer, but I cannot open it or access it. I get this message
    > > when I try to map the network drive: "You might not have permission to
    > > use
    > > this network resource. Contact the administrator (that's me) of this
    > > server
    > > to find out if you have access permissions." Then it says "Not enough
    > > server
    > > storage is available to process this command."
    > > What do I need to do to get access to the external hard drive? Thanks for
    > > your comments.
    > > --
    > > spatin

  4. Re: added external HD but can't access it on network

    Hi
    Actually Norton2007 might be the problem.
    May be this can Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Basic XP -
    Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "himshah" wrote in message
    news6DCDB57-87FB-4CA6-85E4-9570F6B9638B@microsoft.com...
    > Jack: I have the same problem except I don't have Vista. I have desktop XP
    > Media Center, laptop XP tablet and laptop XPMC. The usb drives are
    > connected
    > to desktop. I have done all I can setup but some reason xpmc laptop will
    > not
    > access the USB drives. The XP Tablet access the USB drives for read only.
    > have netbios setup on all machine.
    >
    > I have Norton Internet Security 2007 installed on the Desktop but I don't
    > think it is the problem. Any help appreciated.
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> If you want any one to freely connect to the Drive Switch Vista's Guest
    >> Account On.
    >> In the Drive Sharing Menu Click on Advance Sharing, click on permissions
    >> and
    >> check what ever you want to allow.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "spatin" wrote in message
    >> > Greetings group. I have 3 computers on a home network. The host is an
    >> > XP
    >> > desktop. Upstairs is an XP laptop. I also have a Vista laptop on the
    >> > network. Everything seems to work ok except for this new problem.
    >> > This weekend my wife, who has the XP laptop upstairs, installed an
    >> > external
    >> > hard drive to do backups and store photos. It is a USB connection to
    >> > her
    >> > laptop. After setting it up, we opened the sharing and security tab
    >> > and
    >> > selected to share the entire drive on the network, root and all. On
    >> > her
    >> > laptop, the icon for that drive has the little hand under it to
    >> > indicate
    >> > that
    >> > it is shared.
    >> > Now, going to the other two computers on the network, I can see the
    >> > external
    >> > HD on her computer, but I cannot open it or access it. I get this
    >> > message
    >> > when I try to map the network drive: "You might not have permission to
    >> > use
    >> > this network resource. Contact the administrator (that's me) of this
    >> > server
    >> > to find out if you have access permissions." Then it says "Not enough
    >> > server
    >> > storage is available to process this command."
    >> > What do I need to do to get access to the external hard drive? Thanks
    >> > for
    >> > your comments.
    >> > --
    >> > spatin

  5. Re: added external HD but can't access it on network

    Hi Jack. Thank you very much for your reply. I may be misunderstanding your
    reply but it seems that you think the USB external drive is on the Vista
    machine. It is not. It is on one of the 2 XP computers. The Vista is a
    newcomer to the network and so far has behaved ok.
    The "host" computer is my desktop, which is also an XP machine.
    The computer with the external HD is my wife's laptop, which is an XP machine.
    I can't access the external HD from my "host" computer.
    Does that make a difference in your answer?
    --
    spatin

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > If you want any one to freely connect to the Drive Switch Vista's Guest
    > Account On.
    > In the Drive Sharing Menu Click on Advance Sharing, click on permissions and
    > check what ever you want to allow.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "spatin" wrote in message
    > > Greetings group. I have 3 computers on a home network. The host is an XP
    > > desktop. Upstairs is an XP laptop. I also have a Vista laptop on the
    > > network. Everything seems to work ok except for this new problem.
    > > This weekend my wife, who has the XP laptop upstairs, installed an
    > > external
    > > hard drive to do backups and store photos. It is a USB connection to her
    > > laptop. After setting it up, we opened the sharing and security tab and
    > > selected to share the entire drive on the network, root and all. On her
    > > laptop, the icon for that drive has the little hand under it to indicate
    > > that
    > > it is shared.
    > > Now, going to the other two computers on the network, I can see the
    > > external
    > > HD on her computer, but I cannot open it or access it. I get this message
    > > when I try to map the network drive: "You might not have permission to
    > > use
    > > this network resource. Contact the administrator (that's me) of this
    > > server
    > > to find out if you have access permissions." Then it says "Not enough
    > > server
    > > storage is available to process this command."
    > > What do I need to do to get access to the external hard drive? Thanks for
    > > your comments.
    > > --
    > > spatin

  6. Re: added external HD but can't access it on network

    Hi
    Sorry for the confusion, see my answer to himshah in the same thread.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "spatin" wrote in message
    > Hi Jack. Thank you very much for your reply. I may be misunderstanding
    > your
    > reply but it seems that you think the USB external drive is on the Vista
    > machine. It is not. It is on one of the 2 XP computers. The Vista is a
    > newcomer to the network and so far has behaved ok.
    > The "host" computer is my desktop, which is also an XP machine.
    > The computer with the external HD is my wife's laptop, which is an XP
    > machine.
    > I can't access the external HD from my "host" computer.
    > Does that make a difference in your answer?
    > --
    > spatin
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> If you want any one to freely connect to the Drive Switch Vista's Guest
    >> Account On.
    >> In the Drive Sharing Menu Click on Advance Sharing, click on permissions
    >> and
    >> check what ever you want to allow.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "spatin" wrote in message
    >> > Greetings group. I have 3 computers on a home network. The host is an
    >> > XP
    >> > desktop. Upstairs is an XP laptop. I also have a Vista laptop on the
    >> > network. Everything seems to work ok except for this new problem.
    >> > This weekend my wife, who has the XP laptop upstairs, installed an
    >> > external
    >> > hard drive to do backups and store photos. It is a USB connection to
    >> > her
    >> > laptop. After setting it up, we opened the sharing and security tab
    >> > and
    >> > selected to share the entire drive on the network, root and all. On
    >> > her
    >> > laptop, the icon for that drive has the little hand under it to
    >> > indicate
    >> > that
    >> > it is shared.
    >> > Now, going to the other two computers on the network, I can see the
    >> > external
    >> > HD on her computer, but I cannot open it or access it. I get this
    >> > message
    >> > when I try to map the network drive: "You might not have permission to
    >> > use
    >> > this network resource. Contact the administrator (that's me) of this
    >> > server
    >> > to find out if you have access permissions." Then it says "Not enough
    >> > server
    >> > storage is available to process this command."
    >> > What do I need to do to get access to the external hard drive? Thanks
    >> > for
    >> > your comments.
    >> > --
    >> > spatin

  7. Re: added external HD but can't access it on network

    Jack: I have gone thru each steps for Microsoft link you provided but it is
    not allowing the XPMC to open folder beyond the drive (I can double click on
    drive letter but can't open any folder in USB drive). It is tied something
    with USB drives setup. I can open various folder on desktop computer "C"
    drive. The notebook with tabletpc xp can access the usb drive folder with
    read only rights.

    when I tried to setup security - tried to add user name of notebook - it is
    not finding it.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Actually Norton2007 might be the problem.
    > May be this can Help.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > allowed to be shared.
    > Basic XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    > Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
    > Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "himshah" wrote in message
    > news6DCDB57-87FB-4CA6-85E4-9570F6B9638B@microsoft.com...
    > > Jack: I have the same problem except I don't have Vista. I have desktop XP
    > > Media Center, laptop XP tablet and laptop XPMC. The usb drives are
    > > connected
    > > to desktop. I have done all I can setup but some reason xpmc laptop will
    > > not
    > > access the USB drives. The XP Tablet access the USB drives for read only.
    > > have netbios setup on all machine.
    > >
    > > I have Norton Internet Security 2007 installed on the Desktop but I don't
    > > think it is the problem. Any help appreciated.
    > >
    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> If you want any one to freely connect to the Drive Switch Vista's Guest
    > >> Account On.
    > >> In the Drive Sharing Menu Click on Advance Sharing, click on permissions
    > >> and
    > >> check what ever you want to allow.
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >>
    > >> "spatin" wrote in message

  8. Re: added external HD but can't access it on network

    spatin wrote:
    > Greetings group. I have 3 computers on a home network. The host is an XP
    > desktop. Upstairs is an XP laptop. I also have a Vista laptop on the
    > network. Everything seems to work ok except for this new problem.
    > This weekend my wife, who has the XP laptop upstairs, installed an external
    > hard drive to do backups and store photos. It is a USB connection to her
    > laptop. After setting it up, we opened the sharing and security tab and
    > selected to share the entire drive on the network, root and all. On her
    > laptop, the icon for that drive has the little hand under it to indicate that
    > it is shared.
    > Now, going to the other two computers on the network, I can see the external
    > HD on her computer, but I cannot open it or access it. I get this message
    > when I try to map the network drive: "You might not have permission to use
    > this network resource. Contact the administrator (that's me) of this server
    > to find out if you have access permissions." Then it says "Not enough server
    > storage is available to process this command."
    > What do I need to do to get access to the external hard drive? Thanks for
    > your comments.

    I have the same error message re "Server storage" when trying to access
    a USB hard drive attached to an XP Home desktop from a Vista Home laptop
    via wireless. I can access all the folders on the fixed disks, and the
    printer attached to the XP desktop.

    Did you find a solution to this problem?

    Stephen

+ Reply to Thread