linksys router keeps disconnecting - Wireless

This is a discussion on linksys router keeps disconnecting - Wireless ; I have switched from a broadband service to a cable service but now it seems that my linksys router keeps disconnecting. I've unchecked the IEEE box, but it still disconnects. Any solutions?...

  1. linksys router keeps disconnecting

    I have switched from a broadband service to a cable service but now it seems
    that my linksys router keeps disconnecting. I've unchecked the IEEE box, but
    it still disconnects. Any solutions?

  2. Re: linksys router keeps disconnecting

    Hi
    Might be that the Cable service needs some sort of authentication.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "palbeag" wrote in message
    >I have switched from a broadband service to a cable service but now it
    >seems
    > that my linksys router keeps disconnecting. I've unchecked the IEEE box,
    > but
    > it still disconnects. Any solutions?

  3. RE: linksys router keeps disconnecting

    i had that same issue with a liksys router and then a wireless router,
    after i did this i have not had any issues since, here is what i did.

    find out the DNS from your isp, also get the ip info your modem gives your
    router
    setup your linksys as STATIC enter in the ip subnet and gateway you get
    from the isp's modem and add there dns, and save, there was a bug in some
    linksys firmwares that kinda made the router forget to use the dns it gets
    dynamicly and by setting it staticly you force the router to use known good
    dns servers, the proply you discribe could happen with anyones broadband or
    high speed so try that out maybe you won't have to do any more switching of
    isp's for while. (just joking) let me know if that helps you out..

    "palbeag" wrote:

    > I have switched from a broadband service to a cable service but now it seems
    > that my linksys router keeps disconnecting. I've unchecked the IEEE box, but
    > it still disconnects. Any solutions?

  4. Same problem

    Hi there..
    Well i'ld like to tell you that i have the same problem with my WRK54G wireless router.
    I have a cable modem plugged to it. But when i dont use internet all night, the router doesnt update the ip and DNS numbers of the cable modem. So i have no connection.
    If i reset the router then everything works fine again.
    Yesterday i tried to put it with a STATIC IP but today wasnt working either..
    What i remembered is that long time ago i updated it's firmware. And im thinking that i updated the wrong one cause of the version.
    The thing is that when i search for the version next to the model at the bottom of the device i dont have any. I only have: Model no: WRK54G (with no version number)
    How can i know which version is it so i can put back the original one?

    Cheers.

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

  5. Re: Same problem

    Sebastian wrote:
    > Hi there..
    > Well i'ld like to tell you that i have the same problem with my WRK54G wireless router.
    > I have a cable modem plugged to it. But when i dont use internet all night, the router doesnt update the ip and DNS numbers of the cable modem. So i have no connection.
    > If i reset the router then everything works fine again.
    > Yesterday i tried to put it with a STATIC IP but today wasnt working either..
    > What i remembered is that long time ago i updated it's firmware. And im thinking that i updated the wrong one cause of the version.
    > The thing is that when i search for the version next to the model at the bottom of the device i dont have any. I only have: Model no: WRK54G (with no version number)
    > How can i know which version is it so i can put back the original one?
    >
    > Cheers.

    > http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    You probably don't want to hear this, but you may be happier if you get
    a new router.

    From http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/WRK54G

    The WRK54G is stripped-down version of the Linksys WRT54g wireless
    router, included with a wireless PC card in the WKPC54G kit. Unlike the
    WRT54G, however, it includes a Marvell-based chipset, one antenna, and
    is incompatible with the various firmware hacks. If you want to run
    third-party firmware, get a WRT54G or WRT54GS instead.

    I don't know how old that comment is. Here's a similar thread, from
    Nov. 2005: http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41216

    If you think that you might be interested in using third-party firmware,
    which enables all sorts of capabilities that Linksys hardware can do but
    which are not enabled by the stock firmware, buy a WRT54GL (or a used
    WRT54G version 4 or earlier). Otherwise, just get the current WRT54G.
    I wouldn't suggest buying an 802.11n model yet (the standard isn't a
    standard yet), and if you get one of Linksys's other "enhanced"
    versions, know that you won't get all of the advertised benefits unless
    you're also using a wireless adapter of the same sort.

    If you don't want to buy Linksys, you might consider the BUFFALO
    WHR-HP-G54 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Turbo G High Power Wireless
    Cable/DSL Smart Router

    Like some of the Linksys models, the Buffalo also is a "turbo" model,
    that needs its corresponding "turbo" adapter to get the benefit of its
    advertised higher speeds. It also, however, has a built-in RF
    amplifier, so that it should have better range -- although don't forget
    that range goes both ways, and it doesn't do much good if your wireless
    laptop can detect your router from so far away that the router can't
    detect the laptop.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking