Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks - Wireless ; -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 I have XP Pro sp2. My wireless card is an Intel 2915ABG. I prefer to allow windows to manage wi-fi but for some reason starting today the wireless zero configuration is showing no networks. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks

  1. Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    I have XP Pro sp2. My wireless card is an Intel 2915ABG. I prefer to
    allow windows to manage wi-fi but for some reason starting today the
    wireless zero configuration is showing no networks. If I refresh the
    list it comes back in a fraction of a second and still says "no wireless
    networks available". It used to take 5-10 seconds to refresh the list so
    something is wrong. I know there are at least a dozen SSID's it should
    be picking up. If I allow the Intel ProSET/Wireless utility to manage
    wifi it finds all of the SSID's and can connect to the one I want just
    fine. What would prevent WZC from displaying the SSID's?

    TIA
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)

    iEYEARECAAYFAkX2tzEACgkQzIf+rZpn0oTdoQCghIbDTZEUlb dJNGvNcVlP/LK2
    pRsAoIGBrmeuh6pqgTwp0Tf41lcR1Krw
    =jrWP
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  2. RE: Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks

    So you say that PROSet finds all the networks and can connect,
    but WZC sees nothing?
    This may be fault of the 2915 driver, what version it is?

    --PA

    "Chuck" wrote:
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > I have XP Pro sp2. My wireless card is an Intel 2915ABG. I prefer to
    > allow windows to manage wi-fi but for some reason starting today the
    > wireless zero configuration is showing no networks. If I refresh the
    > list it comes back in a fraction of a second and still says "no wireless
    > networks available". It used to take 5-10 seconds to refresh the list so
    > something is wrong. I know there are at least a dozen SSID's it should
    > be picking up. If I allow the Intel ProSET/Wireless utility to manage
    > wifi it finds all of the SSID's and can connect to the one I want just
    > fine. What would prevent WZC from displaying the SSID's?
    >
    > TIA
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)
    >
    > iEYEARECAAYFAkX2tzEACgkQzIf+rZpn0oTdoQCghIbDTZEUlb dJNGvNcVlP/LK2
    > pRsAoIGBrmeuh6pqgTwp0Tf41lcR1Krw
    > =jrWP
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    >


  3. Re: Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks

    Hi
    I am not familiar with the specific Intel Drivers.
    However some Wireless Client Drivers install the Drivers and the Wireless
    utility together, even when you check in the utility let Windows mange the
    Wireless they might interfere. If there is a way to install the drivers
    without the Utility try it might solve the problem.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    news:SGyJh.3112$I56.2213@trnddc06...
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > I have XP Pro sp2. My wireless card is an Intel 2915ABG. I prefer to
    > allow windows to manage wi-fi but for some reason starting today the
    > wireless zero configuration is showing no networks. If I refresh the
    > list it comes back in a fraction of a second and still says "no wireless
    > networks available". It used to take 5-10 seconds to refresh the list so
    > something is wrong. I know there are at least a dozen SSID's it should
    > be picking up. If I allow the Intel ProSET/Wireless utility to manage
    > wifi it finds all of the SSID's and can connect to the one I want just
    > fine. What would prevent WZC from displaying the SSID's?
    >
    > TIA
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)
    >
    > iEYEARECAAYFAkX2tzEACgkQzIf+rZpn0oTdoQCghIbDTZEUlb dJNGvNcVlP/LK2
    > pRsAoIGBrmeuh6pqgTwp0Tf41lcR1Krw
    > =jrWP
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




  4. RE: Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks

    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > So you say that PROSet finds all the networks and can connect,
    > but WZC sees nothing?
    > This may be fault of the 2915 driver, what version it is?
    >


    Yes. PROset finds all networks and can connect but WZC sees nothing and in
    fact is behaving strangely. It used to work up until yesterday but now WZC
    refreshes in a fraction of a second. It used to take about 5 seconds. I think
    something in WZC is failing.

    There is another strange symptom too. When you go into "network
    connections", "wireless network connection", properties, my recollection is
    that there used to be 3 tabs - general, advanced, and wireless networks. The
    latter tab is no longer there.

    I also have iPass installed - a natianal dialup/wifi networking program.
    I've had it for 3 years but updated it a day or two ago. Not sure if maybe
    this screwed it up because it does have a wireless component that's supposed
    to find hotspots in range and allow me to connect to them. Is there a way to
    roll back a software update? I looked in system restore but could not find
    anything for ipass. I also don't have the original disk for it so I can't
    uninstall and reinstall. Plus I'm not even sure this was the problem. I can't
    remember if I was able to connect after updating it or not.

    You can ignore the difference in email addresses between this post and the
    original. I'm the same person but had to access the NG through MS's web site
    today due to problems with my usenet proxy server.

  5. RE: Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks

    Hmm, iPass has it's own wireless client.
    I haven't worked with it yet, don't know details.
    Maybe this explains what you see.

    --PA


    "Chuck" wrote:
    > "Pavel A." wrote:
    >
    > > So you say that PROSet finds all the networks and can connect,
    > > but WZC sees nothing?
    > > This may be fault of the 2915 driver, what version it is?
    > >

    >
    > Yes. PROset finds all networks and can connect but WZC sees nothing and in
    > fact is behaving strangely. It used to work up until yesterday but now WZC
    > refreshes in a fraction of a second. It used to take about 5 seconds. I think
    > something in WZC is failing.
    >
    > There is another strange symptom too. When you go into "network
    > connections", "wireless network connection", properties, my recollection is
    > that there used to be 3 tabs - general, advanced, and wireless networks. The
    > latter tab is no longer there.
    >
    > I also have iPass installed - a natianal dialup/wifi networking program.
    > I've had it for 3 years but updated it a day or two ago. Not sure if maybe
    > this screwed it up because it does have a wireless component that's supposed
    > to find hotspots in range and allow me to connect to them. Is there a way to
    > roll back a software update? I looked in system restore but could not find
    > anything for ipass. I also don't have the original disk for it so I can't
    > uninstall and reinstall. Plus I'm not even sure this was the problem. I can't
    > remember if I was able to connect after updating it or not.
    >
    > You can ignore the difference in email addresses between this post and the
    > original. I'm the same person but had to access the NG through MS's web site
    > today due to problems with my usenet proxy server.


  6. Re: Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am not familiar with the specific Intel Drivers.
    > However some Wireless Client Drivers install the Drivers and the Wireless
    > utility together, even when you check in the utility let Windows mange the
    > Wireless they might interfere. If there is a way to install the drivers
    > without the Utility try it might solve the problem.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).



    Hi Jack,
    yes, the recent version of Proset setup has option to leave the
    existing driver in place. These who need just the driver can
    install it separately.

    Regards,
    --PA



    > "Chuck" wrote in message
    > news:SGyJh.3112$I56.2213@trnddc06...
    > > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > > Hash: SHA1
    > >
    > > I have XP Pro sp2. My wireless card is an Intel 2915ABG. I prefer to
    > > allow windows to manage wi-fi but for some reason starting today the
    > > wireless zero configuration is showing no networks. If I refresh the
    > > list it comes back in a fraction of a second and still says "no wireless
    > > networks available". It used to take 5-10 seconds to refresh the list so
    > > something is wrong. I know there are at least a dozen SSID's it should
    > > be picking up. If I allow the Intel ProSET/Wireless utility to manage
    > > wifi it finds all of the SSID's and can connect to the one I want just
    > > fine. What would prevent WZC from displaying the SSID's?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > > Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)
    > >
    > > iEYEARECAAYFAkX2tzEACgkQzIf+rZpn0oTdoQCghIbDTZEUlb dJNGvNcVlP/LK2
    > > pRsAoIGBrmeuh6pqgTwp0Tf41lcR1Krw
    > > =jrWP
    > > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

    >
    >
    >


  7. Re: Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks

    Should there be a 3rd tab on the wirless network's properties page?

    Pavel A. wrote:
    > Hmm, iPass has it's own wireless client.
    > I haven't worked with it yet, don't know details.
    > Maybe this explains what you see.
    >
    > --PA
    >
    >
    > "Chuck" wrote:
    >> "Pavel A." wrote:
    >>
    >>> So you say that PROSet finds all the networks and can connect,
    >>> but WZC sees nothing?
    >>> This may be fault of the 2915 driver, what version it is?
    >>>

    >> Yes. PROset finds all networks and can connect but WZC sees nothing and in
    >> fact is behaving strangely. It used to work up until yesterday but now WZC
    >> refreshes in a fraction of a second. It used to take about 5 seconds. I think
    >> something in WZC is failing.
    >>
    >> There is another strange symptom too. When you go into "network
    >> connections", "wireless network connection", properties, my recollection is
    >> that there used to be 3 tabs - general, advanced, and wireless networks. The
    >> latter tab is no longer there.
    >>
    >> I also have iPass installed - a natianal dialup/wifi networking program.
    >> I've had it for 3 years but updated it a day or two ago. Not sure if maybe
    >> this screwed it up because it does have a wireless component that's supposed
    >> to find hotspots in range and allow me to connect to them. Is there a way to
    >> roll back a software update? I looked in system restore but could not find
    >> anything for ipass. I also don't have the original disk for it so I can't
    >> uninstall and reinstall. Plus I'm not even sure this was the problem. I can't
    >> remember if I was able to connect after updating it or not.
    >>
    >> You can ignore the difference in email addresses between this post and the
    >> original. I'm the same person but had to access the NG through MS's web site
    >> today due to problems with my usenet proxy server.


  8. Re: Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks

    Even after disabling ipass, I still get nothing in the available
    wireless networks and a refresh of available wireless networks still
    occurs (and apparently fails) instantaneously rather than waiting 4-5
    seconds.


    Pavel A. wrote:
    > Hmm, iPass has it's own wireless client.
    > I haven't worked with it yet, don't know details.
    > Maybe this explains what you see.
    >
    > --PA
    >
    >


  9. Re: Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks

    "Chuck" wrote:
    > Even after disabling ipass, I still get nothing in the available
    > wireless networks and a refresh of available wireless networks still
    > occurs (and apparently fails) instantaneously rather than waiting 4-5
    > seconds.


    Chuck, I don't have the ipass client so can't tell what it leaves
    behind, even being "disabled". How you disable it?

    The wireless tab should be visible if WZC is installed and running -
    but WZC must also recognize the adapter as "wireless".
    iPass or other 3rd party software may interfere with this, so WZC
    won't work with the adapter.

    Frankly I don't know how to solve this, besides of calling
    support of iPass (and they should work with the vendor of your wireless card).

    Meanwhile, try the following script, to verify
    that the wireless card does scan:

    ~~~~~~~cut here, save to file ~~~~~~~~
    Wscript.Echo "Enumerating wireless adapters"
    N=0
    Set wmi=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!root/wmi")
    Set AdapterSet=wmi.ExecQuery("select * from MSNdis_80211_BSSIList")
    On Error Resume Next
    For each wa in AdapterSet
    WScript.Echo "Adapter name=", wa.InstanceName
    WScript.Echo "Number Of Items in scan=", wa.NumberOfItems
    N = N + wa.NumberOfItems
    WScript.Echo "Total:", N
    Next

    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    Wscript.Echo "Error in enumeration (no wlan adapter?) ", Err.Number
    End If
    WScript.Echo "done"
    ~~~~~~~cut here~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Save this snippet as scan.vbs and run in command window:

    c:\> cscript scan.vbs


    Regards,
    --PA

    > Pavel A. wrote:
    > > Hmm, iPass has it's own wireless client.
    > > I haven't worked with it yet, don't know details.
    > > Maybe this explains what you see.
    > >
    > > --PA



  10. Re: Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks

    Pavel A. wrote:
    > Chuck, I don't have the ipass client so can't tell what it leaves
    > behind, even being "disabled". How you disable it?
    >
    > The wireless tab should be visible if WZC is installed and running -
    > but WZC must also recognize the adapter as "wireless".
    > iPass or other 3rd party software may interfere with this, so WZC
    > won't work with the adapter.
    >
    > Frankly I don't know how to solve this, besides of calling
    > support of iPass (and they should work with the vendor of your wireless card).
    >
    > Meanwhile, try the following script, to verify
    > that the wireless card does scan:
    >
    > ~~~~~~~cut here, save to file ~~~~~~~~
    > Wscript.Echo "Enumerating wireless adapters"
    > N=0
    > Set wmi=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!root/wmi")
    > Set AdapterSet=wmi.ExecQuery("select * from MSNdis_80211_BSSIList")
    > On Error Resume Next
    > For each wa in AdapterSet
    > WScript.Echo "Adapter name=", wa.InstanceName
    > WScript.Echo "Number Of Items in scan=", wa.NumberOfItems
    > N = N + wa.NumberOfItems
    > WScript.Echo "Total:", N
    > Next
    >
    > If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    > Wscript.Echo "Error in enumeration (no wlan adapter?) ", Err.Number
    > End If
    > WScript.Echo "done"
    > ~~~~~~~cut here~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > Save this snippet as scan.vbs and run in command window:
    >
    > c:\> cscript scan.vbs
    >
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA
    >


    To disable ipass I simple right click the tray icon and select "exit". I
    can also prevent it from starting at all by using msconfig and
    unchecking the startup run key.

    Here's the output of your script.

    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

    Enumerating wireless adapters
    Total: 0
    Error in enumeration (no wlan adapter?) 424
    done

    It's apparently not finding the wireless adapter. Next step I guess is
    to try reinstalling the driver.

  11. Re: Wireless Zero Configurarion shows no networks

    Chuck wrote:

    > It's apparently not finding the wireless adapter. Next step I guess is
    > to try reinstalling the driver.


    For future reference, in case anyone else encounters this problem, I did
    get it fixed and this is how.

    I downloaded the latest driver (R138749) from Dell's web site (the pc in
    question is a d610 with Intel 2915abg wireless card). I reinstalled the
    driver using this new one and eventually got everything working again.
    The first attempt got about 80% of the way done, said that something
    failed to be installed/repaired, and rolled everything back. Ran the
    setup program again and the component that failed the first time got
    installed/repaired, but the next one failed, and it rolled everything
    back again. I repeated this cycle, getting one component further along
    each time until I finally got a message that I needed to reboot, which I
    did. Then I repeated the cycle once or twice more and everything strted
    working.

+ Reply to Thread