XBOX 360 & Windows XP Bridging & Strict NAT - Wireless

This is a discussion on XBOX 360 & Windows XP Bridging & Strict NAT - Wireless ; I have my xbox 360 connected to my laptop via crossover cable and then the wired and wireless adapters in the laptop are bridged so that I can connect my 360 to my wireless router thru the laptop. When I ...

  1. XBOX 360 & Windows XP Bridging & Strict NAT

    I have my xbox 360 connected to my laptop via crossover cable and then the
    wired and wireless adapters in the laptop are bridged so that I can connect
    my 360 to my wireless router thru the laptop.

    When I test the xbox live connection it says strict NAT but when I had the
    360 connected directly into the ethernet port of the router the NAT status
    was open.

    Having a stict NAT prevents me from connecting to some other users so
    somewhere in creating the bridge and passing network traffic through it to
    the router my NAT has become strict.

    Is there anything I can configure on the laptop in order to return the the
    NAT status of open. I tried disabling the laptops firewall but that didn't
    help. Why is the NAT now strict when going thru the bridge?

  2. Re: XBOX 360 & Windows XP Bridging & Strict NAT

    Nick Le Lievre wrote:
    > I have my xbox 360 connected to my laptop via crossover cable and then the
    > wired and wireless adapters in the laptop are bridged so that I can connect
    > my 360 to my wireless router thru the laptop.
    >
    > When I test the xbox live connection it says strict NAT but when I had the
    > 360 connected directly into the ethernet port of the router the NAT status
    > was open.
    >
    > Having a stict NAT prevents me from connecting to some other users so
    > somewhere in creating the bridge and passing network traffic through it to
    > the router my NAT has become strict.
    >
    > Is there anything I can configure on the laptop in order to return the the
    > NAT status of open. I tried disabling the laptops firewall but that didn't
    > help. Why is the NAT now strict when going thru the bridge?

    That's because now you are travelling through two separate NATs, not
    just one. When you use the laptop's Internet Connection Sharing to
    connect the Xbox, you are sending the Xbox through a NAT connection in
    the laptop. Then the laptop itself is using a NAT connection from the
    router. So you have a double NAT. It's not impossible to get port
    forwarding going on a double NAT, but it's a bitch and a half. You're
    better off leaving the Xbox directly connected to the router, even if
    it's not convenient.

    Yousuf Khan

  3. Re: XBOX 360 & Windows XP Bridging & Strict NAT

    "Yousuf Khan" wrote:

    > Nick Le Lievre wrote:
    > > I have my xbox 360 connected to my laptop via crossover cable and then the
    > > wired and wireless adapters in the laptop are bridged so that I can connect
    > > my 360 to my wireless router thru the laptop.
    > >
    > > When I test the xbox live connection it says strict NAT but when I had the
    > > 360 connected directly into the ethernet port of the router the NAT status
    > > was open.
    > >
    > > Having a stict NAT prevents me from connecting to some other users so
    > > somewhere in creating the bridge and passing network traffic through it to
    > > the router my NAT has become strict.
    > >
    > > Is there anything I can configure on the laptop in order to return the the
    > > NAT status of open. I tried disabling the laptops firewall but that didn't
    > > help. Why is the NAT now strict when going thru the bridge?

    > That's because now you are travelling through two separate NATs, not
    > just one. When you use the laptop's Internet Connection Sharing to
    > connect the Xbox, you are sending the Xbox through a NAT connection in
    > the laptop. Then the laptop itself is using a NAT connection from the
    > router. So you have a double NAT. It's not impossible to get port
    > forwarding going on a double NAT, but it's a bitch and a half. You're
    > better off leaving the Xbox directly connected to the router, even if
    > it's not convenient.
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    So how would one connect a Xbox 360 through a laptop like that...? When I
    bridged my connection, it kept acting like the Xbox 360 was just a direct
    connection to the modem... The laptop kept saying that it has limited access
    to the LAN(Which I think might be what it's recognizing the Xbox 360's
    connection to it as) and meanwhile, the Xbox 360's tests keep saying it can't
    get an IP adress set up, and I couldn't acess the internet on my laptop at
    all...

    So, what is it I'm doing wrong....?

+ Reply to Thread