SECURELY ENABLING MY NETWORK - Wireless

This is a discussion on SECURELY ENABLING MY NETWORK - Wireless ; I'm wanting to security-enable my wireless network, I can't get past the wireless network properties section. The authentification defaults to open, and the next section disabled. I can't add a password when I change these settings. I'm earlier told to ...

  1. SECURELY ENABLING MY NETWORK

    I'm wanting to security-enable my wireless network, I can't get past the
    wireless network properties section. The authentification defaults to open,
    and the next section disabled. I can't add a password when I change these
    settings. I'm earlier told to stay with the automatically assigned network
    key as recommended. This I have saved, then what do I do with it. do I
    change the properties When I view the wireless networks in ranged I'm not
    securely enabled. Do others see me as enabled.

    please help,......Aaaaarrrrgh

    Mikey

    Just can't get me head round it

    --
    Mikey

  2. Re: SECURELY ENABLING MY NETWORK

    Hi
    I think it would help if you would describe what your Network is comprised
    of.
    The Available Wireless Networks that you see, has nothing to do with
    Wireless Computers.
    These available Networks are broadcast by the Wireless Routers or an Access
    Points. If the Wireless Router is secured then it would appear as a secured
    Wireless network.
    Wireless security starts with securing the Wireless Router, and then using
    the same parameters securing your Wireless Computer.
    May be this can Help.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    Computers Card) should state the types of security configurations that is
    available with your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    I.e. even if most of your system can be configured to the with WPA2, but one
    device is only capable to be configured to a max. of WEP, to whole system
    must be configured to WEP. If you need more good security and one device
    (like a Wireless card that can do WEP only) is holding better security for
    the whole Network, replace the device with a better one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Ann hilferty" wrote in message
    newsGIIh.21757$hR3.8872@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
    > I'm wanting to security-enable my wireless network, I can't get past the
    > wireless network properties section. The authentification defaults to
    > open,
    > and the next section disabled. I can't add a password when I change these
    > settings. I'm earlier told to stay with the automatically assigned network
    > key as recommended. This I have saved, then what do I do with it. do I
    > change the properties When I view the wireless networks in ranged I'm not
    > securely enabled. Do others see me as enabled.
    >
    > please help,......Aaaaarrrrgh
    >
    > Mikey
    >
    > Just can't get me head round it
    >

    > --