remove dell wireless wlan - Wireless

This is a discussion on remove dell wireless wlan - Wireless ; I'm trying to figure out how to disable the Dell Wireless WLAN application and instead just use XP's built-in wireless capabilities. I recently reinstalled XP Pro on my Dell latitude D510. After installation, Device Manager was not recognizing my internal ...

  1. remove dell wireless wlan

    I'm trying to figure out how to disable the Dell Wireless WLAN
    application and instead just use XP's built-in wireless capabilities.

    I recently reinstalled XP Pro on my Dell latitude D510. After
    installation, Device Manager was not recognizing my internal wireless
    card (it didn't even appear in device list), so I downloaded from Dell
    the driver for it (R140747--52MB, it was--packaged with a few others, I
    think) and installed it. Device Manager now recognizes my "Dell
    Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card" as a network adapter and I can connect
    to my wireless router.

    However, I don't want to be running the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility!
    How the heck do I disable it?? It includes a checkbox that reads "let
    this tool manage your wireless networks," but even when it is unchecked
    the program still runs. I want to quit the program permanently. I
    tried uninstalling it, but that left me back at the original state
    (device manager didn't see a wireless card), so i reinstalled it.

    Before reinstalling XP I didn't have this problem--I could use the
    wireless adapter without Dell's utility. I imagine this is a driver
    issue and that I have a newer driver now than I used to (unfortunately,
    I don't have the previous driver).

    Anyone know what to do? Is there a way to get XP to recognize and use
    the wireless card without Dell's extra WLAN application?

    Thanks,

    -Casey

  2. Re: remove dell wireless wlan

    Hi
    Many of these Wireless Utilities are a combo of Driver/Utility application.
    So, when you uninstall the utility it uninstalls the Wireless card's drivers
    too.
    Log to Dell's support, and see if they offer the drivers as a separate
    download.
    Otherwise, use these two utilities (StartUp & Process Explorer) to find out
    the components of the utility and try to get rid of them.
    http://www.ezlan.net/infestation#startup
    Many times unchecking the entries in the StartUp loading would do it.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Casey" wrote in message
    news:6uednau3odQ0l27YnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > I'm trying to figure out how to disable the Dell Wireless WLAN application
    > and instead just use XP's built-in wireless capabilities.
    >
    > I recently reinstalled XP Pro on my Dell latitude D510. After
    > installation, Device Manager was not recognizing my internal wireless card
    > (it didn't even appear in device list), so I downloaded from Dell the
    > driver for it (R140747--52MB, it was--packaged with a few others, I think)
    > and installed it. Device Manager now recognizes my "Dell Wireless 1370
    > WLAN Mini-PCI Card" as a network adapter and I can connect to my wireless
    > router.
    >
    > However, I don't want to be running the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility!
    > How the heck do I disable it?? It includes a checkbox that reads "let
    > this tool manage your wireless networks," but even when it is unchecked
    > the program still runs. I want to quit the program permanently. I tried
    > uninstalling it, but that left me back at the original state (device
    > manager didn't see a wireless card), so i reinstalled it.
    >
    > Before reinstalling XP I didn't have this problem--I could use the
    > wireless adapter without Dell's utility. I imagine this is a driver issue
    > and that I have a newer driver now than I used to (unfortunately, I don't
    > have the previous driver).
    >
    > Anyone know what to do? Is there a way to get XP to recognize and use the
    > wireless card without Dell's extra WLAN application?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Casey

  3. Re: remove dell wireless wlan

    Startup Control Panel worked great--thanks.

+ Reply to Thread