At wit's end -- connection but not connected. - Wireless

This is a discussion on At wit's end -- connection but not connected. - Wireless ; Hi. Perhaps someone can help me with this. My son is trying to connect to his mom's wireless network. When he is at my house, he uses a Msoft MN-520 (?) PCMCIA card to connect to my wireless network (MN ...

  1. At wit's end -- connection but not connected.

    Hi. Perhaps someone can help me with this.

    My son is trying to connect to his mom's wireless network. When he is at my
    house, he uses a Msoft MN-520 (?) PCMCIA card to connect to my wireless
    network (MN 620?) and everything is fine. At his mom's house, she has a
    Linksys wireless base station, but although his laptop sees the connection
    and reports that he is connected, he can't access the Internet or e-mail or
    anything else. I just talked to his brother, who has his own laptop, and he
    was able to find and connect with the base station, so I know the router and
    base station are working. And I know the PCMCIA card is working in the first
    laptop because he can connect to my network when here.

    I have tried everything I can think of, including turning on and off the
    zero config service, setting up the network connection again -- but no luck.
    What am I missing? Suggestions? The laptop says he is connected and the
    signal strength is good, but that's as far as we can get. His laptop is a
    Dell 5150 with a wireless card, as I said, and his brother's laptop is a
    Lenovo with built-in wireless.

  2. Re: At wit's end -- connection but not connected.

    playmyj50@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi. Perhaps someone can help me with this.
    >
    > My son is trying to connect to his mom's wireless network. When he is at my
    > house, he uses a Msoft MN-520 (?) PCMCIA card to connect to my wireless
    > network (MN 620?) and everything is fine. At his mom's house, she has a
    > Linksys wireless base station, but although his laptop sees the connection
    > and reports that he is connected, he can't access the Internet or e-mail or
    > anything else. I just talked to his brother, who has his own laptop, and he
    > was able to find and connect with the base station, so I know the router and
    > base station are working. And I know the PCMCIA card is working in the first
    > laptop because he can connect to my network when here.
    >
    > I have tried everything I can think of, including turning on and off the
    > zero config service, setting up the network connection again -- but no luck.
    > What am I missing? Suggestions? The laptop says he is connected and the
    > signal strength is good, but that's as far as we can get. His laptop is a
    > Dell 5150 with a wireless card, as I said, and his brother's laptop is a
    > Lenovo with built-in wireless.

    In the world of Windows XP wireless, "Connected" does not really mean
    connected, and "good signal strength" does not mean that you actually
    have a good signal. See, e.g., http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html

    Because your son can connect to your wifi access point, the issue is
    unlikely to be a firewall on his laptop. More likely, this problem is
    caused by some security setting on Mom's router. When your son "Views
    available wireless networks" does Mom's network show as "secured" or
    "unsecured"? If "secured" he should double check the encryption key.
    If the network uses WEP encryption (it really should use WPA or WPA2),
    then he needs to enter the HEX encryption key and not the "password"
    that was used in the router to generate the HEX key. In addition to
    encryption, the network may have been set up to permit only specific
    clients, by MAC address. In this case, the router has to be configured
    to permit his computer to connect.

    If Mom set up her own wireless network, then she will know the answers
    to the above. If not, your son may have to get her permission to access
    the router's configuration pages to get the hex encryption key and/or
    add his MAC address to the list of permitted clients.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  3. Re: At wit's end -- connection but not connected.

    I don't think it's a matter of permission, given the fact that he has the
    access code and has entered it correctly in his laptop.

    I suspect that the Msoft card is incompatible with the Linksys router, for
    whatever reason. The card is "b" and the network is "g." That ought not to be
    a problem, but in the world of computers just about everything that can be a
    a problem sooner or later becomes one,

    Anyway, he's sitting there with a $1200 paperweight. And I am pretty much
    out of ideas.

  4. Re: At wit's end -- connection but not connected.

    "playmyj50@yahoo.com" wrote in
    message news:E37B39A5-7CD2-472D-AE53-6C51A16773DF@microsoft.com...

    > I don't think it's a matter of permission, given the fact that he has the
    > access code and has entered it correctly in his laptop.
    >
    > I suspect that the Msoft card is incompatible with the Linksys router, for

    Not possible if both of those things are built to the standards. The problem
    is access at the software level. I had this problem. I had ZA Pro installed
    but not started and Vista working. ZA Pro didnt work with Vista so had to be
    uninstalled and all OK.

  5. Re: At wit's end -- connection but not connected.

    playmyj50@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I don't think it's a matter of permission, given the fact that he has the
    > access code and has entered it correctly in his laptop.
    >
    > I suspect that the Msoft card is incompatible with the Linksys router, for
    > whatever reason. The card is "b" and the network is "g." That ought not to be
    > a problem, but in the world of computers just about everything that can be a
    > a problem sooner or later becomes one,
    >
    > Anyway, he's sitting there with a $1200 paperweight. And I am pretty much
    > out of ideas.

    I don't think you mentioned the b/g discrepancy before. Make sure that
    the router is not set to "g only." 802.11G is backwards compatible with
    802.11B, but often wireless G routers can be configured to be either
    "mixed" (b & g) or "G only" (which, at least in the early days of
    802.11G, gave better performance).

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking