wireless doesnt logon to domain because it comes up late - Wireless

This is a discussion on wireless doesnt logon to domain because it comes up late - Wireless ; Hi, I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and a laptop with the matching pcmcia wireless card. I dont use the card utility from linksys. only the driver. the laptop is joined to a domain. only problem I have is ...

  1. wireless doesnt logon to domain because it comes up late

    Hi,

    I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and
    a laptop with the matching pcmcia wireless card.

    I dont use the card utility from linksys. only the driver.

    the laptop is joined to a domain.

    only problem I have is netlogon happens before tcpip starts the wireless
    card.
    so it never logs onto the domain when it first starts.
    (event id 5719 from Netlogon - no domain controller is available).

    works just fine if I use the ethernet port instead.

    has anyone seen that and is there a way to fix it?

    Thanks in advance,
    Jim

  2. Re: wireless doesnt logon to domain because it comes up late

    Jim :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and
    > a laptop with the matching pcmcia wireless card.
    >
    > I dont use the card utility from linksys. only the driver.
    >
    > the laptop is joined to a domain.
    >
    > only problem I have is netlogon happens before tcpip starts the wireless
    > card.
    > so it never logs onto the domain when it first starts.
    > (event id 5719 from Netlogon - no domain controller is available).
    >
    > works just fine if I use the ethernet port instead.
    >
    > has anyone seen that and is there a way to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Jim

    You can try to set manual dependences between this services...

    --
    With best regards
    Nickolay Domukhovsky, MCSA

  3. Re: wireless doesnt logon to domain because it comes up late

    now thats a crapy answer.

    how is that done? with depends.exe?? that is a cluster of a utility and
    I dont know how to use it correctly, and also one can get caught up
    in chicken before the egg scenario easily in that. is there not a
    policy that takes care of that? or a better way? I read a post
    earlier where the guy was having nightmarish problems between
    the machine and the user config..I surely do not need that problem
    either. I am pretty sure it can be done. what needs to happen,
    "exactly".

    "Nick Domukhovsky" wrote in message
    Jim :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and
    > a laptop with the matching pcmcia wireless card.
    >
    > I dont use the card utility from linksys. only the driver.
    >
    > the laptop is joined to a domain.
    >
    > only problem I have is netlogon happens before tcpip starts the wireless
    > card.
    > so it never logs onto the domain when it first starts.
    > (event id 5719 from Netlogon - no domain controller is available).
    >
    > works just fine if I use the ethernet port instead.
    >
    > has anyone seen that and is there a way to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Jim

    You can try to set manual dependences between this services...

    --
    With best regards
    Nickolay Domukhovsky, MCSA

  4. Re: wireless doesnt logon to domain because it comes up late

    Jim,

    I have a domain with about 80 workstations. 8 of them are wireless, and the
    wireless ones all do this. The only downside I've found is that Computer
    Group Policies are not applied and I can't deploy software to the wireless
    workstations. I don't have any Computer Group Policies other than software
    deployment which I must do manually on the wireless workstations. Logon
    scripts, User Group Policies, remote management, WSUS, everything else works
    fine.

    I realize this doesn't solve your problem, but maybe it will help you work
    around it.

    Cleve S.

    "Jim" wrote in message
    news:CbednfTVfppScnjYnZ2dnUVZ_viunZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and
    > a laptop with the matching pcmcia wireless card.
    >
    > I dont use the card utility from linksys. only the driver.
    >
    > the laptop is joined to a domain.
    >
    > only problem I have is netlogon happens before tcpip starts the wireless
    > card.
    > so it never logs onto the domain when it first starts.
    > (event id 5719 from Netlogon - no domain controller is available).
    >
    > works just fine if I use the ethernet port instead.
    >
    > has anyone seen that and is there a way to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Jim

  5. Re: wireless doesnt logon to domain because it comes up late

    Yep, its a real unsolved problem.

    One would think that either the wireless (card) manufacturers would make
    the (card) driver and hence tcpip come up BEFORE netlogon,
    during the machine phase of boot up, like an Ethernet port does,
    or that M$ would provide a policy to do so.

    An implicit logon after the fact (on a wireless station) is no solution..
    It's WAY WAY TOO late.

    I would like ALL the WORLD who Boast wireless is so great to see this
    problem.

    and offer the working fix if they think they can...

    I have been waiting for that fix for the entire time I've used these
    cards....about 4 years...and no fix so far.
    and Cleve- you are not the only one either. I was just emailed by Philippe
    Clri [philippe@gcal.net]
    who has the exact same problem.

    getting that domain logon is what's crucial.

    James W. Long
    Network Administrator.

    "Cleve S." wrote in message
    > Jim,
    >
    > I have a domain with about 80 workstations. 8 of them are wireless, and

    the
    > wireless ones all do this. The only downside I've found is that Computer
    > Group Policies are not applied and I can't deploy software to the wireless
    > workstations. I don't have any Computer Group Policies other than

    software
    > deployment which I must do manually on the wireless workstations. Logon
    > scripts, User Group Policies, remote management, WSUS, everything else

    works
    > fine.
    >
    > I realize this doesn't solve your problem, but maybe it will help you work
    > around it.
    >
    > Cleve S.
    >
    > "Jim" wrote in message
    > news:CbednfTVfppScnjYnZ2dnUVZ_viunZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and
    > > a laptop with the matching pcmcia wireless card.
    > >
    > > I dont use the card utility from linksys. only the driver.
    > >
    > > the laptop is joined to a domain.
    > >
    > > only problem I have is netlogon happens before tcpip starts the wireless
    > > card.
    > > so it never logs onto the domain when it first starts.
    > > (event id 5719 from Netlogon - no domain controller is available).
    > >
    > > works just fine if I use the ethernet port instead.
    > >
    > > has anyone seen that and is there a way to fix it?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Jim

  6. Re: wireless doesnt logon to domain because it comes up late

    Jim, had the same problem with our older notebooks. I bought an IBM
    last month and it has a feature on it to enable a wireless connection
    before login. Works like a champ.

    Gary

    On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:10:38 -0500, "Jim"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and
    >a laptop with the matching pcmcia wireless card.
    >
    >I dont use the card utility from linksys. only the driver.
    >
    >the laptop is joined to a domain.
    >
    >only problem I have is netlogon happens before tcpip starts the wireless
    >card.
    >so it never logs onto the domain when it first starts.
    >(event id 5719 from Netlogon - no domain controller is available).
    >
    >works just fine if I use the ethernet port instead.
    >
    >has anyone seen that and is there a way to fix it?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    > Jim

+ Reply to Thread