Setting up with Alcatel Speedtouch modem and Linksys WRT54G HELP - Wireless

This is a discussion on Setting up with Alcatel Speedtouch modem and Linksys WRT54G HELP - Wireless ; Hi Having problems. Have got a broadband internet connection with Pipex using an Alcatel Speedtouch 330 Modem which connects direct to phone line and then to my computer via USB. Have just bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router but don't ...

  1. Setting up with Alcatel Speedtouch modem and Linksys WRT54G HELP

    Hi

    Having problems. Have got a broadband internet connection with Pipex
    using an Alcatel Speedtouch 330 Modem which connects direct to phone
    line and then to my computer via USB.

    Have just bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router but don't know how
    to connect the 2 together to use wireless at home as all the
    connections on the Linksys are Ethernet network sockets and the
    Alcatel has only the USB connection.

    Hopefully I can get these 2 working together?!

    Do I need a new modem!?

    Please help!

    Thanks!!

  2. Re: Setting up with Alcatel Speedtouch modem and Linksys WRT54G HELP

    Hi
    In order to use any of the current Wireless Cable/DSL Router as the main
    Routing device you need to buy a Modem with Ethernet output connection.
    Otherwise, you need an Ethernet card in the main computer; you connect the
    Wireless Router as an Access Point to the Ethernet Card trough a regular
    port on the Router. Configure the Main computer to Route with Windows ICS.
    ICS info here, http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
    Configuring a Wireless Router as an Access Point here,
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    wrote in message
    news:1172688242.029835.48760@a75g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > Having problems. Have got a broadband internet connection with Pipex
    > using an Alcatel Speedtouch 330 Modem which connects direct to phone
    > line and then to my computer via USB.
    >
    > Have just bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router but don't know how
    > to connect the 2 together to use wireless at home as all the
    > connections on the Linksys are Ethernet network sockets and the
    > Alcatel has only the USB connection.
    >
    > Hopefully I can get these 2 working together?!
    >
    > Do I need a new modem!?
    >
    > Please help!
    >
    > Thanks!!

  3. Re: Setting up with Alcatel Speedtouch modem and Linksys WRT54G HELP

    wrote in message
    news:1172688242.029835.48760@a75g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > Having problems. Have got a broadband internet connection with Pipex
    > using an Alcatel Speedtouch 330 Modem which connects direct to phone
    > line and then to my computer via USB.
    >
    > Have just bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router but don't know how
    > to connect the 2 together to use wireless at home as all the
    > connections on the Linksys are Ethernet network sockets and the
    > Alcatel has only the USB connection.
    >
    > Hopefully I can get these 2 working together?!
    >
    > Do I need a new modem!?
    >
    > Please help!
    >
    > Thanks!!

    This router is not suitable for you. You would do better to buy one with a
    built in ADSL modem. This one will work with either an Ethernet modem (not
    USB) or a cable box. I can't really see how it can be described as
    broadband since it will not work with an ADSL connection out of the box.

  4. Re: Setting up with Alcatel Speedtouch modem and Linksys WRT54G HELP

    schtumm@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Having problems. Have got a broadband internet connection with Pipex
    > using an Alcatel Speedtouch 330 Modem which connects direct to phone
    > line and then to my computer via USB.
    >
    > Have just bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router but don't know how
    > to connect the 2 together to use wireless at home as all the
    > connections on the Linksys are Ethernet network sockets and the
    > Alcatel has only the USB connection.
    >
    > Hopefully I can get these 2 working together?!
    >
    > Do I need a new modem!?
    >
    > Please help!
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Ideally, yes. Perhaps you can persuade Pipex to exchange the Speedtouch
    330 for one with an Ethernet connection.

    If you have an Ethernet adapter in your main computer (almost all do,
    these days), it is possible to have the Speedtouch 330 connected by USB
    to your main computer and then share that Internet connection over the
    computer's Ethernet adapter to the WRT54G and thence to other wireless
    clients (using Windows Internet Connection Sharing). You would be
    losing some of the functionality of the WRT54G that you paid for, and
    you would have to leave your main computer turned on in order for any
    wireless computers to be able to access the Internet this way.

    You would be better off getting a DSL modem that connects via Ethernet.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  5. Re: Setting up with Alcatel Speedtouch modem and Linksys WRT54G HELP

    On Feb 28, 10:14 pm, Lem wrote:
    > scht...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > > Hi

    > > Having problems. Have got a broadband internet connection with Pipex
    > > using an Alcatel Speedtouch 330 Modem which connects direct to phone
    > > line and then to my computer via USB.

    > > Have just bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router but don't know how
    > > to connect the 2 together to use wireless at home as all the
    > > connections on the Linksys are Ethernet network sockets and the
    > > Alcatel has only the USB connection.

    > > Hopefully I can get these 2 working together?!

    > > Do I need a new modem!?

    > > Please help!

    > > Thanks!!

    > Ideally, yes. Perhaps you can persuade Pipex to exchange the Speedtouch
    > 330 for one with an Ethernet connection.
    >
    > If you have an Ethernet adapter in your main computer (almost all do,
    > these days), it is possible to have the Speedtouch 330 connected by USB
    > to your main computer and then share that Internet connection over the
    > computer's Ethernet adapter to the WRT54G and thence to other wireless
    > clients (using Windows Internet Connection Sharing). You would be
    > losing some of the functionality of the WRT54G that you paid for, and
    > you would have to leave your main computer turned on in order for any
    > wireless computers to be able to access the Internet this way.
    >
    > You would be better off getting a DSL modem that connects via Ethernet.
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >
    > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

    Hi all,

    Thanks so much for your replies. In the end I got hold of a Modem/
    Router in one and it works great.

    Just have to now sell my now useless seperate USB modem and stand
    alone router!

  6. Alcatel USB Modem

    Hi, I am in the same situation as you were when you wanteds to go wireless with Alcatel USB modem. Can you please let me know which model/make of Modema nd router did you go for as I am now looking for one too.

    Did you have any installation problems in installation of the new mode/router?

    Many thanks.

    Ranjit

+ Reply to Thread