no broadband connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on no broadband connection - Wireless ; I have a desktop windows xp. I added a D-Link adapter. I have a Linskey's modem and router. The cable for my broadband is conncted to the modem and the modem is conected to the router via the blue ethernet ...

  1. no broadband connection

    I have a desktop windows xp. I added a D-Link adapter. I have a Linskey's
    modem and router. The cable for my broadband is conncted to the modem and
    the modem is conected to the router via the blue ethernet cable provided. My
    lap top that had an adapter installed connects to the internet but my desktop
    only wants to use dial-up. ???? I have ran wizard after wizard.......... I
    need some REAL help here........... THANK YOU!
    --
    deborah

  2. Re: no broadband connection

    Hi
    First try this. Start the Internet Browser, pull down the Tools menu, click
    on Internet Options, choose the Connections Tab and check the entry that
    says Never Dial Up a
    Connection,http://www.ezlan.net/network/donot_dialup.jpg
    Click OK close and try to connect.
    If it does not help you have to check your Network settings.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "deborah" wrote in message
    >I have a desktop windows xp. I added a D-Link adapter. I have a Linskey's
    > modem and router. The cable for my broadband is conncted to the modem and
    > the modem is conected to the router via the blue ethernet cable provided.
    > My
    > lap top that had an adapter installed connects to the internet but my
    > desktop
    > only wants to use dial-up. ???? I have ran wizard after wizard..........
    > need some REAL help here........... THANK YOU!
    > --
    > deborah

  3. no broadband connection

    Any luck on this one? I have a laptop with identical symptoms (sister is visiting.)

    This machine has had a wireless broadband card installed (Verizon I think) and it seems to have usurped the usual network connections. I'm hesitant to remove the wireless broadband device and software, because the local connection I'm trying to set up is temporary, at best.

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

  4. Re: no broadband connection

    jon wrote:
    > Any luck on this one? I have a laptop with identical symptoms (sister is visiting.)
    >
    > This machine has had a wireless broadband card installed (Verizon I think) and it seems to have usurped the usual network connections. I'm hesitant to remove the wireless broadband device and software, because the local connection I'm trying to set up is temporary, at best.

    > http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Your description of "identical symptoms" is unclear. What are you
    trying to do, and what happens? What have you tried? What version of
    Windows?

    It sounds as if your sister's laptop has a wireless broadband adapter,
    but you want to use an alternate method of connecting to the Internet.
    But what is the alternate method? Dial-up? Wired router? Wireless
    router? Something else?

    See http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking