choosing an access point - Wireless

This is a discussion on choosing an access point - Wireless ; I travel a lot and at hotels there are usually more than one access point to the wireless network. the issue i'm having is that my computer dosent always choose the one that has the best signal. i've tried disconnecting ...

  1. choosing an access point

    I travel a lot and at hotels there are usually more than one access point to
    the wireless network. the issue i'm having is that my computer dosent always
    choose the one that has the best signal. i've tried disconnecting the network
    and removeing it from the auto connect list, same thing. it seems as though
    once it has connected to the one point it doesnt look at the others unless
    the original is not available. is their a way to choose which access point I
    connect to?
    i use a program that came with my top (toshiba) that detects wireless acess
    points and their strengths. (configfree)
    thanx

  2. Re: choosing an access point

    Hi
    First make sure that if you use the Toshiba Utility switch Off Windows
    Wireless Zero Configuration (and Vice Versa).
    The Roaming aspects of standard Wireless does not work very well it is Not
    the fault of any specific Wireless component.
    In addition it might dependent on the way the Access Points SSID, and
    channels were configured.
    Sorry but there is nothing really that you can do about it. I am sure that
    the Wireless is still a great thing even with this little nuisance.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "bocmac" wrote in message
    >I travel a lot and at hotels there are usually more than one access point
    > the wireless network. the issue i'm having is that my computer dosent
    > always
    > choose the one that has the best signal. i've tried disconnecting the
    > network
    > and removeing it from the auto connect list, same thing. it seems as
    > though
    > once it has connected to the one point it doesnt look at the others unless
    > the original is not available. is their a way to choose which access point
    > connect to?
    > i use a program that came with my top (toshiba) that detects wireless
    > acess
    > points and their strengths. (configfree)
    > thanx

+ Reply to Thread