Wireless Broadband to wireless network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless Broadband to wireless network - Wireless ; The only way i can get broadband is through my wireless phone provider via a wireless modem on my laptop. How to i install a wireless network so i can connect my desktop and printer? What equipment do i need ...

  1. Wireless Broadband to wireless network

    The only way i can get broadband is through my wireless phone provider via a
    wireless modem on my laptop.

    How to i install a wireless network so i can connect my desktop and printer?
    What equipment do i need and how do i set this all up? I'm new to this
    wireless network stuff. My laptop has an 802.11g card and my desktop has an
    Intel Pro/1000 PL network connection.

    Any help will sure be appreciated.

    Brad

  2. Re: Wireless Broadband to wireless network

    Brad Lund wrote:
    > The only way i can get broadband is through my wireless phone provider via a
    > wireless modem on my laptop.
    >
    > How to i install a wireless network so i can connect my desktop and printer?
    > What equipment do i need and how do i set this all up? I'm new to this
    > wireless network stuff. My laptop has an 802.11g card and my desktop has an
    > Intel Pro/1000 PL network connection.
    >
    > Any help will sure be appreciated.
    >
    > Brad

    Just to be clear: your laptop has an 802.11g card and a separate
    wireless broadband modem -- correct?

    You can share the Internet connection using Windows Internet Connection
    Sharing. You can do this with either a wireless or wired network,
    depending on where you locate your laptop relative to your desktop.

    See http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314066/en-us

    Assuming that your laptop also has an Ethernet adapter (virtually all
    do), the very simplest way to connect your computers would be to get a
    crossover cable and connect the laptop to the desktop that way.

    Alternatively, as mentioned in the Practically Networked article, the
    LAN connection to your desktop can be wireless. In this case, at the
    very least, you will need to buy a wireless adapter for the desktop.
    This can either be an internal PCI card or an external USB device.

    As far as your printer is concerned, if it is connected directly to the
    desktop, once you have networked your desktop and laptop together, you
    can share the printer. Remember to click the button to "turn on file
    and printer sharing" as you're going through the Network Setup Wizard
    (on each computer). If you have third-party firewalls on either
    computer, you will have to configure them to allow traffic between your
    desktop and laptop as trusted. You can do this by specifying IP
    addresses: the laptop's IP address on the LAN is 192.168.0.1 (assigned
    by ICS). The desktop's IP address will be assigned by ICS as
    192.168.0.x (where x is a number between 2 and 254).

    If you have a network-ready printer or if you want to buy a print server
    (so you can print without the desktop being turned on), or if you think
    you might want to add more computers someday, you will also need a wired
    or wireless switch. The cheapest, most versatile thing to do in this
    case is probably to buy a wireless router and then configure it as an
    "access point" (http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html - details will
    change, but the principle's the same).

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  3. Re: Wireless Broadband to wireless network

    Lem:

    Yes my laptop has a 802.11g card and a separate wireless broadband modem.

    Thanks for the info. I'll give this a try and see what happens.

    Thanks a lot!!

    Brad

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Brad Lund wrote:
    > > The only way i can get broadband is through my wireless phone provider via a
    > > wireless modem on my laptop.
    > >
    > > How to i install a wireless network so i can connect my desktop and printer?
    > > What equipment do i need and how do i set this all up? I'm new to this
    > > wireless network stuff. My laptop has an 802.11g card and my desktop has an
    > > Intel Pro/1000 PL network connection.
    > >
    > > Any help will sure be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Brad

    > Just to be clear: your laptop has an 802.11g card and a separate
    > wireless broadband modem -- correct?
    >
    > You can share the Internet connection using Windows Internet Connection
    > Sharing. You can do this with either a wireless or wired network,
    > depending on where you locate your laptop relative to your desktop.
    >
    > See http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
    >
    > Assuming that your laptop also has an Ethernet adapter (virtually all
    > do), the very simplest way to connect your computers would be to get a
    > crossover cable and connect the laptop to the desktop that way.
    >
    > Alternatively, as mentioned in the Practically Networked article, the
    > LAN connection to your desktop can be wireless. In this case, at the
    > very least, you will need to buy a wireless adapter for the desktop.
    > This can either be an internal PCI card or an external USB device.
    >
    > As far as your printer is concerned, if it is connected directly to the
    > desktop, once you have networked your desktop and laptop together, you
    > can share the printer. Remember to click the button to "turn on file
    > and printer sharing" as you're going through the Network Setup Wizard
    > (on each computer). If you have third-party firewalls on either
    > computer, you will have to configure them to allow traffic between your
    > desktop and laptop as trusted. You can do this by specifying IP
    > addresses: the laptop's IP address on the LAN is 192.168.0.1 (assigned
    > by ICS). The desktop's IP address will be assigned by ICS as
    > 192.168.0.x (where x is a number between 2 and 254).
    >
    > If you have a network-ready printer or if you want to buy a print server
    > (so you can print without the desktop being turned on), or if you think
    > you might want to add more computers someday, you will also need a wired
    > or wireless switch. The cheapest, most versatile thing to do in this
    > case is probably to buy a wireless router and then configure it as an
    > "access point" (http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html - details will
    > change, but the principle's the same).
    >

    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  4. Re: Wireless Broadband to wireless network

    You're welcome. Just do things one step at a time and it should work
    out OK. Post back if you have problems.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking