Help with wireless network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Help with wireless network - Wireless ; Hi, Hope someone can help! I am not an expert by any means so the simplest explanation possible would be greatly appreciated! ) I have a Sky Broadband Netgear modem/router linked via cable to a PC running XP home. I ...

  1. Help with wireless network

    Hi,

    Hope someone can help! I am not an expert by any means so the simplest
    explanation possible would be greatly appreciated! )

    I have a Sky Broadband Netgear modem/router linked via cable to a PC running
    XP home. I have a laptop running XP pro wirelessly connected to the router.
    Can access the internet from both with no issues. Laptop can ping PC with no
    problem, however PC cannot ping laptop (just times out). When I click 'view
    workgroup computers' in 'my network places' on the PC, I can access mshome
    and see icons for both the PC and laptop, however when I try to dbl click the
    laptop icon I get the message "\\Laptop is not accessible. You might not
    have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was
    not found."

    When I do the same on the laptop I get no icons and the following message:
    "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
    resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
    access permissions. The network path was not found" which I assume to mean
    that the workgroup is not recognised/accessible.

    PC has Zonealarm, and Laptop has Norton. I have tried all of the above with
    everything disabled, and have added IP addresses to where I think they should
    go to cover both computers.

    I have read what seems to be about 100 different things that could possibly
    be wrong but some expert help would be very very much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Mark

  2. Re: Help with wireless network

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Sharing involves some general consideration in Network settings,
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Basic XP -
    Advanced XP -
    Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Hope someone can help! I am not an expert by any means so the simplest
    > explanation possible would be greatly appreciated! )
    >
    > I have a Sky Broadband Netgear modem/router linked via cable to a PC
    > running
    > XP home. I have a laptop running XP pro wirelessly connected to the
    > router.
    > Can access the internet from both with no issues. Laptop can ping PC with
    > no
    > problem, however PC cannot ping laptop (just times out). When I click
    > 'view
    > workgroup computers' in 'my network places' on the PC, I can access mshome
    > and see icons for both the PC and laptop, however when I try to dbl click
    > the
    > laptop icon I get the message "\\Laptop is not accessible. You might not
    > have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator
    > of
    > this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path
    > was
    > not found."
    >
    > When I do the same on the laptop I get no icons and the following message:
    > "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    > network
    > resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
    > have
    > access permissions. The network path was not found" which I assume to
    > mean
    > that the workgroup is not recognised/accessible.
    >
    > PC has Zonealarm, and Laptop has Norton. I have tried all of the above
    > with
    > everything disabled, and have added IP addresses to where I think they
    > should
    > go to cover both computers.
    >
    > I have read what seems to be about 100 different things that could
    > possibly
    > be wrong but some expert help would be very very much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Mark

+ Reply to Thread