funny addresses... - Wireless

This is a discussion on funny addresses... - Wireless ; Any idea why my Dads' PC in the house that has a Linksys WMP54G pci wireless card in it would be connecting on a wierd no. like 269. 56. ...etc. when DHCP start address in my Linksys WAG354G out in ...

  1. funny addresses...

    Any idea why my Dads' PC in the house that has a Linksys WMP54G pci wireless
    card in it would be connecting on a wierd no. like 269. 56. ...etc.
    when DHCP start address in my Linksys WAG354G out in my office is
    192.168.1.64 ?

    ....and does this "IEE 802 1.x Authentication for this network" have to
    switched on i.e. does it have anything to do with a pre-shared key WPA etc.
    ?

    Earlier when I was fighting with it all Dad's was being allocated
    192.168.1.65 which seemed normal, seeing as DHCP in the routerr is
    allocating 192.168.1.64 via rj45 lead to my PC in office ?

    I have been switching things on and off and now it's turning into a right
    mess.

    regards, Richard

  2. Re: funny addresses...

    ....and should HTTP TCP external port and internal port 80 be ticked and
    forwarded to 192.168.1.1 which is the local IP address of my WAG354G
    and FTP 21 to 21 TCP ticked in port forwarding,
    and FTP 22 to 22 TCP ticked in port forwarding,
    and Telnet 23 to 23 TCP ticked in port forwarding,
    and POP3 110 / 110 ticked in port forwarding, ...and I just noticed that
    POP3 is being port forwarded to 192.168.1.0 ?

    .....this is all so confusing !

    regards, Richard

    "RJK" wrote in message
    > Any idea why my Dads' PC in the house that has a Linksys WMP54G pci
    > wireless card in it would be connecting on a wierd no. like 269. 56.
    > ...etc.
    > when DHCP start address in my Linksys WAG354G out in my office is
    > 192.168.1.64 ?
    >
    > ...and does this "IEE 802 1.x Authentication for this network" have to
    > switched on i.e. does it have anything to do with a pre-shared key WPA
    > etc. ?
    >
    > Earlier when I was fighting with it all Dad's was being allocated
    > 192.168.1.65 which seemed normal, seeing as DHCP in the routerr is
    > allocating 192.168.1.64 via rj45 lead to my PC in office ?
    >
    > I have been switching things on and off and now it's turning into a right
    > mess.
    >
    > regards, Richard

  3. Re: funny addresses...

    ...those were set in "Single Port forwarding" in the WAG354G ...I just
    cleared the tick and it all semes to be still working, does this mean that
    those TCP ports were exposed to the web ?

    regards, Richard

    "RJK" wrote in message
    > ...and should HTTP TCP external port and internal port 80 be ticked and
    > forwarded to 192.168.1.1 which is the local IP address of my WAG354G
    > and FTP 21 to 21 TCP ticked in port forwarding,
    > and FTP 22 to 22 TCP ticked in port forwarding,
    > and Telnet 23 to 23 TCP ticked in port forwarding,
    > and POP3 110 / 110 ticked in port forwarding, ...and I just noticed that
    > POP3 is being port forwarded to 192.168.1.0 ?
    >
    > ....this is all so confusing !
    >
    > regards, Richard
    >

    > "RJK" wrote in message
    >> Any idea why my Dads' PC in the house that has a Linksys WMP54G pci
    >> wireless card in it would be connecting on a wierd no. like 269. 56.
    >> ...etc.
    >> when DHCP start address in my Linksys WAG354G out in my office is
    >> 192.168.1.64 ?
    >>
    >> ...and does this "IEE 802 1.x Authentication for this network" have to
    >> switched on i.e. does it have anything to do with a pre-shared key WPA
    >> etc. ?
    >>
    >> Earlier when I was fighting with it all Dad's was being allocated
    >> 192.168.1.65 which seemed normal, seeing as DHCP in the routerr is
    >> allocating 192.168.1.64 via rj45 lead to my PC in office ?
    >>
    >> I have been switching things on and off and now it's turning into a right
    >> mess.
    >>
    >> regards, Richard

  4. Re: funny addresses...

    "RJK" wrote in message
    > Any idea why my Dads' PC in the house that has a Linksys WMP54G pci
    > wireless card in it would be connecting on a wierd no. like 269. 56.
    > ...etc.
    > when DHCP start address in my Linksys WAG354G out in my office is
    > 192.168.1.64 ?
    >
    > ...and does this "IEE 802 1.x Authentication for this network" have to
    > switched on i.e. does it have anything to do with a pre-shared key WPA
    > etc. ?
    >
    > Earlier when I was fighting with it all Dad's was being allocated
    > 192.168.1.65 which seemed normal, seeing as DHCP in the routerr is
    > allocating 192.168.1.64 via rj45 lead to my PC in office ?
    >
    > I have been switching things on and off and now it's turning into a right
    > mess.
    >
    > regards, Richard

    It cannot find the dhcp server. The address you quote is the one that the
    software uses when the software cannot locate the server.

    You should go back to basics and quite making random changes in the hopes
    that something will work.
    Jim

  5. Re: funny addresses...

    Hi
    I am sorry but your post reflects your confusion, try to take it is and
    summarize you story in an organized way.
    As for 802.11x, uncheck the setting, it should not be on or used in a system
    like yours.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "RJK" wrote in message
    > Any idea why my Dads' PC in the house that has a Linksys WMP54G pci
    > wireless card in it would be connecting on a wierd no. like 269. 56.
    > ...etc.
    > when DHCP start address in my Linksys WAG354G out in my office is
    > 192.168.1.64 ?
    >
    > ...and does this "IEE 802 1.x Authentication for this network" have to
    > switched on i.e. does it have anything to do with a pre-shared key WPA
    > etc. ?
    >
    > Earlier when I was fighting with it all Dad's was being allocated
    > 192.168.1.65 which seemed normal, seeing as DHCP in the routerr is
    > allocating 192.168.1.64 via rj45 lead to my PC in office ?
    >
    > I have been switching things on and off and now it's turning into a right
    > mess.
    >
    > regards, Richard

  6. Re: funny addresses...

    ....when I try to summarize, it gets really protracted and boring ! But,
    thanks for your input Jack.
    I half guessed I didn't need the 801.1 IEE thingy ticked but, why did they
    slap that in the model name of the WMP54G wireless pci adapter in Dads' PC.

    Anyway, to cut a potenetially boring story short, I downloaded ver. 4.0
    driver and utility software for WMP54G from Linksys and all my problems went
    away, ....other than not knowing what I'm doing with ports !!

    regards, Richard

    > Hi
    > I am sorry but your post reflects your confusion, try to take it is and
    > summarize you story in an organized way.
    > As for 802.11x, uncheck the setting, it should not be on or used in a
    > system like yours.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "RJK" wrote in message
    >> Any idea why my Dads' PC in the house that has a Linksys WMP54G pci
    >> wireless card in it would be connecting on a wierd no. like 269. 56.
    >> ...etc.
    >> when DHCP start address in my Linksys WAG354G out in my office is
    >> 192.168.1.64 ?
    >>
    >> ...and does this "IEE 802 1.x Authentication for this network" have to
    >> switched on i.e. does it have anything to do with a pre-shared key WPA
    >> etc. ?
    >>
    >> Earlier when I was fighting with it all Dad's was being allocated
    >> 192.168.1.65 which seemed normal, seeing as DHCP in the routerr is
    >> allocating 192.168.1.64 via rj45 lead to my PC in office ?
    >>
    >> I have been switching things on and off and now it's turning into a right
    >> mess.
    >>
    >> regards, Richard

  7. Re: funny addresses...

    Thanks Jim,

    Yesterday, suspecting damaged files on Dads PC, (we've had three BSOD's
    "Cannot find boot record" or similar), I replaced the hd ribbon - ran hd
    diagnostics - no error events recorded for the hd, and other checks -
    hardware is sound as a pound ....at least I'm as sure as I can be :-)
    ....then ..comes the pondering as to what my 12 year old niece has been doing
    on the internet and Bebo etc. ...I succumbed and zero filled the damned
    thing !
    ....installed XP Home edition afresh, did all the usual "after-SP-install"
    stuff,
    put in a software firewall / hosts file / anti-virus / anti-spyware /
    tweaked up odds and ends like setting IE to reject 3rd part cookies, i.e.
    hardened it up as best I could ...did all the XP updates inc. IE7 ...I've
    fallen in love with IE7 ...I've found it to be VERY robust.

    .....anyway back to the point, the Linksys WMP54G wireless g pci card in
    Dad's PC is hardware ver. 4.0 ...that's what's on the driver cd, I couldn't
    face kneeling down again to pull it apart, so I went Linksys website and
    downloaded the ver 4.0 drivers, WHAT A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE, I dunno what the
    driver version was that was supplied with the thing but they must have been
    rushed out and in beta !!!
    The new driver is lovely, e.g. in the little drop down list where one
    selects WEP etc, beside the "WPA Personal" they've put "(also known as
    Pre-shared Key), as if to try and help with different manufacturers calling
    a certain standard all manner of different things !

    I did away with the "single port forwarding" items that were set in my
    Linksys, I suspect they were set by upnp when I was trying to connect it to
    my Livebox, so goodness knows if I've been exposed to the web, I had a
    software firewall in place anyway so I think things are okay !

    Now I'm back to using my Livebox, and when I get the chance I'll run through
    some tutorials on networking and all those HORRID addresses.

    regards, Richard

    "Jim" wrote in message
    news:NpHCh.13885$gj4.3055@newssvr14.news.prodigy.n et...

    > "RJK" wrote in message
    >> Any idea why my Dads' PC in the house that has a Linksys WMP54G pci
    >> wireless card in it would be connecting on a wierd no. like 269. 56.
    >> ...etc.
    >> when DHCP start address in my Linksys WAG354G out in my office is
    >> 192.168.1.64 ?
    >>
    >> ...and does this "IEE 802 1.x Authentication for this network" have to
    >> switched on i.e. does it have anything to do with a pre-shared key WPA
    >> etc. ?
    >>
    >> Earlier when I was fighting with it all Dad's was being allocated
    >> 192.168.1.65 which seemed normal, seeing as DHCP in the routerr is
    >> allocating 192.168.1.64 via rj45 lead to my PC in office ?
    >>
    >> I have been switching things on and off and now it's turning into a right
    >> mess.
    >>
    >> regards, Richard

    > It cannot find the dhcp server. The address you quote is the one that the
    > software uses when the software cannot locate the server.
    >
    > You should go back to basics and quite making random changes in the hopes
    > that something will work.
    > Jim

  8. Re: funny addresses...

    Glad to hear that you are doing so well. PCuck (sp) has some excellent
    tutorials on networking. He is usally found in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web.
    Jim

+ Reply to Thread