Linking Two Wireless Routers - Wireless

This is a discussion on Linking Two Wireless Routers - Wireless ; My PC upstairs connecteto a 3com wireless router which is downstairs which in turn connects directly to my broadband line. I also have a Belkin wirless router which i would like to use upstairs as a wired router, but link ...

  1. Linking Two Wireless Routers

    My PC upstairs connecteto a 3com wireless router which is downstairs which in
    turn connects directly to my broadband line. I also have a Belkin wirless
    router which i would like to use upstairs as a wired router, but link
    wirlessly to my 3com router downstairs. To give wired networks pc's upsairs
    access to the intermet through the 3com?
    I note the both have similar ip's 192.168.1.1 (3com) 192.168.2.1 (Belkin)
    both with same subnet masks.

    Is what I ask possible? ANy other solutions apart from running a cat5 cable
    between floors?

    TIA
    Trevor

  2. Re: Linking Two Wireless Routers

    Hi
    To work this way a Wireless Router has to be configured as a Repeater or do
    WDS mode ( http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ) . Most of the Wireless
    Cable/DSL Routers can not be configured to this mode.
    Some of the Belkin Routers can, it depends on the Model and the version. Log
    to Belkin Support site and look, if it clearly states that your Router can
    do WDS then you are lucky.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Trevor Aiston" wrote in message
    > My PC upstairs connecteto a 3com wireless router which is downstairs which
    > in
    > turn connects directly to my broadband line. I also have a Belkin
    > wirless
    > router which i would like to use upstairs as a wired router, but link
    > wirlessly to my 3com router downstairs. To give wired networks pc's
    > upsairs
    > access to the intermet through the 3com?
    > I note the both have similar ip's 192.168.1.1 (3com) 192.168.2.1 (Belkin)
    > both with same subnet masks.
    >
    > Is what I ask possible? ANy other solutions apart from running a cat5
    > cable
    > between floors?
    >
    > TIA
    > Trevor

  3. Re: Linking Two Wireless Routers

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > To work this way a Wireless Router has to be configured as a Repeater or do
    > WDS mode ( http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ) . Most of the Wireless
    > Cable/DSL Routers can not be configured to this mode.
    > Some of the Belkin Routers can, it depends on the Model and the version. Log
    > to Belkin Support site and look, if it clearly states that your Router can
    > do WDS then you are lucky.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Trevor Aiston" wrote in message
    >> My PC upstairs connecteto a 3com wireless router which is downstairs which
    >> in
    >> turn connects directly to my broadband line. I also have a Belkin
    >> wirless
    >> router which i would like to use upstairs as a wired router, but link
    >> wirlessly to my 3com router downstairs. To give wired networks pc's
    >> upsairs
    >> access to the intermet through the 3com?
    >> I note the both have similar ip's 192.168.1.1 (3com) 192.168.2.1 (Belkin)
    >> both with same subnet masks.
    >>
    >> Is what I ask possible? ANy other solutions apart from running a cat5
    >> cable
    >> between floors?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Trevor

    A router in repeater mode or using WDS mode will cut your bandwidth in
    half. For what you are trying to do it would be best to use Client mode
    wireless if your router supports that mode. You did not say which model
    of Belkin router you had so I do not know if it supports this mode of
    access or not. However if it did it would connect the to the 3Com
    wirelessly and give to wired access to your PC up stairs, in this mode
    you would not be able to connect tot the Belkin wirelessly with any PC,
    just wired.

    This may give you some guidance.

    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php..._Mode_Wireless

    --
    Danny Kile
    Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

    "Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
    you." Mary Bly

+ Reply to Thread