OH MY GOODNESS ! - Wireless

This is a discussion on OH MY GOODNESS ! - Wireless ; Why, oh why, do I have to keep learning new technical stuff ? Why does almost every small change seem to invoke something Windows that I've never seen, don't understand, don't know how to use, AND have to spend ages ...

  1. OH MY GOODNESS !

    Why, oh why, do I have to keep learning new technical stuff ?
    Why does almost every small change seem to invoke something Windows that
    I've never seen, don't understand, don't know how to use, AND have to spend
    ages stabbing around in the dark wonder where on earth that came from, what
    it does, and how to set it ?

    .....just a minute, your Admiral Naguru invoked a little known, seldom used,
    reserve activation clause, ...in simpler language Captain Sir - HE DRAFTED
    ME !!!!!!!

    ....where was I ???

    A few days ago I bought some bandwidth from usenet-news.net and installed a
    NewsReader, ...for practice and fun. I've never bothered with Usenet before
    now, I just used OE ! My ISP email servers provide for the MS NG servers,
    so that was good enough for me.

    Anyway, tonight, I thought I'd have another go at playing at conencting
    together with my two modem/routers. One day, the penny will drop and I'll
    suddenly understand all about WAN, Local IP addresses, which address means
    what, and what goes where .....one day !

    A few weeks ago, a couple of very helpful mvp's in the MS networking MG
    tried to help me but, I never did manage to get my modem/routers connected
    as I wanted them but, that's a different story.

    Tonight, in preparation for attempting to connect those modem routers
    together and yet again fight with DMZ and all those lovely DNS addresses
    etc., I disconnected my Orange Livebox (Inventel DV4210-WU), and plugged in
    my Linksys WAG354G so that I could change the "Local IP address" in the
    Linksys to 192.168.1.2 so that it's different from the default 192.168.1.1
    in the Inventel :-)

    I happened to have the "Network Connections" window open and a new
    connenction icon appeared that I've never seen before, labelled "IGD-1.0 on
    WAG354G" and along the way, ....OE now would not "send and receive," so I
    rummaged in "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" properties to access a list of check
    boxes starting CVS all the way throught to TFTP - and exit and fiddle - and
    now some of those check boxes somehow automatically have ticks in them, and
    now OE works okay because I guess somehow POP3 in that list has a tick in
    it !!!!

    Is "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" something to do with the Newsreader I installed, or
    has it always been appearing in Network Connections ?

    ....any clues gladly received :-)

    regards, Richard

  2. Re: OH MY GOODNESS !

    mmmm
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/368588.html
    seems to think it's to do with Upnp!

    "RJK" wrote in message
    > Why, oh why, do I have to keep learning new technical stuff ?
    > Why does almost every small change seem to invoke something Windows that
    > I've never seen, don't understand, don't know how to use, AND have to
    > spend ages stabbing around in the dark wonder where on earth that came
    > from, what it does, and how to set it ?
    >
    > ....just a minute, your Admiral Naguru invoked a little known, seldom
    > used, reserve activation clause, ...in simpler language Captain Sir - HE
    > DRAFTED ME !!!!!!!
    >
    > ...where was I ???
    >
    > A few days ago I bought some bandwidth from usenet-news.net and installed
    > a NewsReader, ...for practice and fun. I've never bothered with Usenet
    > before now, I just used OE ! My ISP email servers provide for the MS NG
    > servers, so that was good enough for me.
    >
    > Anyway, tonight, I thought I'd have another go at playing at conencting
    > together with my two modem/routers. One day, the penny will drop and I'll
    > suddenly understand all about WAN, Local IP addresses, which address means
    > what, and what goes where .....one day !
    >
    > A few weeks ago, a couple of very helpful mvp's in the MS networking MG
    > tried to help me but, I never did manage to get my modem/routers connected
    > as I wanted them but, that's a different story.
    >
    > Tonight, in preparation for attempting to connect those modem routers
    > together and yet again fight with DMZ and all those lovely DNS addresses
    > etc., I disconnected my Orange Livebox (Inventel DV4210-WU), and plugged
    > in my Linksys WAG354G so that I could change the "Local IP address" in the
    > Linksys to 192.168.1.2 so that it's different from the default
    > 192.168.1.1 in the Inventel :-)
    >
    > I happened to have the "Network Connections" window open and a new
    > connenction icon appeared that I've never seen before, labelled "IGD-1.0
    > on WAG354G" and along the way, ....OE now would not "send and receive,"
    > so I rummaged in "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" properties to access a list of
    > check boxes starting CVS all the way throught to TFTP - and exit and
    > fiddle - and now some of those check boxes somehow automatically have
    > ticks in them, and now OE works okay because I guess somehow POP3 in that
    > list has a tick in it !!!!
    >
    > Is "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" something to do with the Newsreader I installed,
    > or has it always been appearing in Network Connections ?
    >
    > ...any clues gladly received :-)
    >
    > regards, Richard

  3. Re: OH MY GOODNESS !

    Taking a guess here, IGD stands for Internet Gateway Device, and has to do
    with the Linksys router you've installed and UPnP that your computer is
    running. It's basically another way of accessing your router when you are
    unaware of it's IP address.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    "RJK" wrote in message
    > Why, oh why, do I have to keep learning new technical stuff ?
    > Why does almost every small change seem to invoke something Windows that
    > I've never seen, don't understand, don't know how to use, AND have to
    > spend ages stabbing around in the dark wonder where on earth that came
    > from, what it does, and how to set it ?
    >
    > ....just a minute, your Admiral Naguru invoked a little known, seldom
    > used, reserve activation clause, ...in simpler language Captain Sir - HE
    > DRAFTED ME !!!!!!!
    >
    > ...where was I ???
    >
    > A few days ago I bought some bandwidth from usenet-news.net and installed
    > a NewsReader, ...for practice and fun. I've never bothered with Usenet
    > before now, I just used OE ! My ISP email servers provide for the MS NG
    > servers, so that was good enough for me.
    >
    > Anyway, tonight, I thought I'd have another go at playing at conencting
    > together with my two modem/routers. One day, the penny will drop and I'll
    > suddenly understand all about WAN, Local IP addresses, which address means
    > what, and what goes where .....one day !
    >
    > A few weeks ago, a couple of very helpful mvp's in the MS networking MG
    > tried to help me but, I never did manage to get my modem/routers connected
    > as I wanted them but, that's a different story.
    >
    > Tonight, in preparation for attempting to connect those modem routers
    > together and yet again fight with DMZ and all those lovely DNS addresses
    > etc., I disconnected my Orange Livebox (Inventel DV4210-WU), and plugged
    > in my Linksys WAG354G so that I could change the "Local IP address" in the
    > Linksys to 192.168.1.2 so that it's different from the default
    > 192.168.1.1 in the Inventel :-)
    >
    > I happened to have the "Network Connections" window open and a new
    > connenction icon appeared that I've never seen before, labelled "IGD-1.0
    > on WAG354G" and along the way, ....OE now would not "send and receive,"
    > so I rummaged in "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" properties to access a list of
    > check boxes starting CVS all the way throught to TFTP - and exit and
    > fiddle - and now some of those check boxes somehow automatically have
    > ticks in them, and now OE works okay because I guess somehow POP3 in that
    > list has a tick in it !!!!
    >
    > Is "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" something to do with the Newsreader I installed,
    > or has it always been appearing in Network Connections ?
    >
    > ...any clues gladly received :-)
    >
    > regards, Richard

  4. Re: OH MY GOODNESS !

    ...AND I just noticed that in the WAG354G, single port forwarding is ticked
    (for TCP) for
    HTTP 80
    FTP ports 21 and 22
    Telenet port 23
    and POP3 port 110
    is that normal for these to be forwarded to my local IP address 192.168.1.1
    ?

    ....as you can tell, I'll NEVER understand all this networking stuff ?

    regards, Richard

    "RJK" wrote in message
    > mmmm
    > http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/368588.html
    > seems to think it's to do with Upnp!
    >

    > "RJK" wrote in message
    >> Why, oh why, do I have to keep learning new technical stuff ?
    >> Why does almost every small change seem to invoke something Windows that
    >> I've never seen, don't understand, don't know how to use, AND have to
    >> spend ages stabbing around in the dark wonder where on earth that came
    >> from, what it does, and how to set it ?
    >>
    >> ....just a minute, your Admiral Naguru invoked a little known, seldom
    >> used, reserve activation clause, ...in simpler language Captain Sir - HE
    >> DRAFTED ME !!!!!!!
    >>
    >> ...where was I ???
    >>
    >> A few days ago I bought some bandwidth from usenet-news.net and installed
    >> a NewsReader, ...for practice and fun. I've never bothered with Usenet
    >> before now, I just used OE ! My ISP email servers provide for the MS NG
    >> servers, so that was good enough for me.
    >>
    >> Anyway, tonight, I thought I'd have another go at playing at conencting
    >> together with my two modem/routers. One day, the penny will drop and
    >> I'll suddenly understand all about WAN, Local IP addresses, which address
    >> means what, and what goes where .....one day !
    >>
    >> A few weeks ago, a couple of very helpful mvp's in the MS networking MG
    >> tried to help me but, I never did manage to get my modem/routers
    >> connected as I wanted them but, that's a different story.
    >>
    >> Tonight, in preparation for attempting to connect those modem routers
    >> together and yet again fight with DMZ and all those lovely DNS addresses
    >> etc., I disconnected my Orange Livebox (Inventel DV4210-WU), and plugged
    >> in my Linksys WAG354G so that I could change the "Local IP address" in
    >> the Linksys to 192.168.1.2 so that it's different from the default
    >> 192.168.1.1 in the Inventel :-)
    >>
    >> I happened to have the "Network Connections" window open and a new
    >> connenction icon appeared that I've never seen before, labelled "IGD-1.0
    >> on WAG354G" and along the way, ....OE now would not "send and receive,"
    >> so I rummaged in "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" properties to access a list of
    >> check boxes starting CVS all the way throught to TFTP - and exit and
    >> fiddle - and now some of those check boxes somehow automatically have
    >> ticks in them, and now OE works okay because I guess somehow POP3 in
    >> that list has a tick in it !!!!
    >>
    >> Is "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" something to do with the Newsreader I installed,
    >> or has it always been appearing in Network Connections ?
    >>
    >> ...any clues gladly received :-)
    >>
    >> regards, Richard

  5. Re: OH MY GOODNESS !

    Thanks David, much appreciated, and am now disconnecting Linksys, plugging
    back in Inventel in case anyone here wants to use VOIP lcoal free calls
    tommorrow, ...and I'm going to bed !

    regards, Richard

    "David Hettel" wrote in message
> [...]
    >> in my Linksys WAG354G so that I could change the "Local IP address" in
    >> the Linksys to 192.168.1.2 so that it's different from the default
    >> 192.168.1.1 in the Inventel :-)
    >>
    >> I happened to have the "Network Connections" window open and a new
    >> connenction icon appeared that I've never seen before, labelled "IGD-1.0
    >> on WAG354G" and along the way, ....OE now would not "send and receive,"
    >> so I rummaged in "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" properties to access a list of
    >> check boxes starting CVS all the way throught to TFTP - and exit and
    >> fiddle - and now some of those check boxes somehow automatically have
    >> ticks in them, and now OE works okay because I guess somehow POP3 in
    >> that list has a tick in it !!!!
    >>
    >> Is "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" something to do with the Newsreader I installed,
    >> or has it always been appearing in Network Connections ?

  6. RE: OH MY GOODNESS !

    Nowt to do with OE!
    Try Networking / Comms groups.

    "RJK" wrote:

    > Why, oh why, do I have to keep learning new technical stuff ?
    > Why does almost every small change seem to invoke something Windows that
    > I've never seen, don't understand, don't know how to use, AND have to spend
    > ages stabbing around in the dark wonder where on earth that came from, what
    > it does, and how to set it ?
    >
    > .....just a minute, your Admiral Naguru invoked a little known, seldom used,
    > reserve activation clause, ...in simpler language Captain Sir - HE DRAFTED
    > ME !!!!!!!
    >
    > ....where was I ???
    >
    > A few days ago I bought some bandwidth from usenet-news.net and installed a
    > NewsReader, ...for practice and fun. I've never bothered with Usenet before
    > now, I just used OE ! My ISP email servers provide for the MS NG servers,
    > so that was good enough for me.
    >
    > Anyway, tonight, I thought I'd have another go at playing at conencting
    > together with my two modem/routers. One day, the penny will drop and I'll
    > suddenly understand all about WAN, Local IP addresses, which address means
    > what, and what goes where .....one day !
    >
    > A few weeks ago, a couple of very helpful mvp's in the MS networking MG
    > tried to help me but, I never did manage to get my modem/routers connected
    > as I wanted them but, that's a different story.
    >
    > Tonight, in preparation for attempting to connect those modem routers
    > together and yet again fight with DMZ and all those lovely DNS addresses
    > etc., I disconnected my Orange Livebox (Inventel DV4210-WU), and plugged in
    > my Linksys WAG354G so that I could change the "Local IP address" in the
    > Linksys to 192.168.1.2 so that it's different from the default 192.168.1.1
    > in the Inventel :-)
    >
    > I happened to have the "Network Connections" window open and a new
    > connenction icon appeared that I've never seen before, labelled "IGD-1.0 on
    > WAG354G" and along the way, ....OE now would not "send and receive," so I
    > rummaged in "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" properties to access a list of check
    > boxes starting CVS all the way throught to TFTP - and exit and fiddle - and
    > now some of those check boxes somehow automatically have ticks in them, and
    > now OE works okay because I guess somehow POP3 in that list has a tick in
    > it !!!!
    >
    > Is "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" something to do with the Newsreader I installed, or
    > has it always been appearing in Network Connections ?
    >
    > ....any clues gladly received :-)
    >
    > regards, Richard

  7. Re: OH MY GOODNESS !

    Nope. Normally your PC would be at an address higher than the router, and
    the normal router address is 192.168.1.1

    I've not tried to back track your post, and I'm not sure what you are trying
    to accomplish. My guess is you don't have the correct hardware. You've got
    two gateway devices (both connect to the phone line) rather than a gateway
    device and a simple LAN router I believe. That means you can only use one
    device at a time.

    --

    "RJK" wrote in message
> [...]
    >>> in my Linksys WAG354G so that I could change the "Local IP address" in
    >>> the Linksys to 192.168.1.2 so that it's different from the default
    >>> 192.168.1.1 in the Inventel :-)
    >>>
    >>> I happened to have the "Network Connections" window open and a new
    >>> connenction icon appeared that I've never seen before, labelled "IGD-1.0
    >>> on WAG354G" and along the way, ....OE now would not "send and receive,"
    >>> so I rummaged in "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" properties to access a list of
    >>> check boxes starting CVS all the way throught to TFTP - and exit and
    >>> fiddle - and now some of those check boxes somehow automatically have
    >>> ticks in them, and now OE works okay because I guess somehow POP3 in
    >>> that list has a tick in it !!!!
    >>>
    >>> Is "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" something to do with the Newsreader I installed,
    >>> or has it always been appearing in Network Connections ?

  8. Re: OH MY GOODNESS !

    I sort of knew that but, relying on tenuous connections, one has to fish
    where the best brains are e.g. David Hettel ! :-)

    regards, Richard

    "XRaySpeX" wrote in message
> [...]
    >>
    >> I happened to have the "Network Connections" window open and a new
    >> connenction icon appeared that I've never seen before, labelled "IGD-1.0
    >> on
    >> WAG354G" and along the way, ....OE now would not "send and receive," so
    >> rummaged in "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" properties to access a list of check
    >> boxes starting CVS all the way throught to TFTP - and exit and fiddle -
    >> and
    >> now some of those check boxes somehow automatically have ticks in them,
    >> and
    >> now OE works okay because I guess somehow POP3 in that list has a tick
    >> in
    >> it !!!!
    >>
    >> Is "IGD-1.0 on WAG354G" something to do with the Newsreader I installed,
    >> or
    >> has it always been appearing in Network Connections ?

  9. Re: OH MY GOODNESS !

    Thanks David,

    Sorry for my rambling on and being vague, I just wondered what the "IGD-1.0
    on WAG354G" labelled connection icon was, and why it had recently appeared
    in Network connections, in my PC outside the house in my office. I have
    been fiddling around a bit lately. e.g. a few days ago, (now with
    hindsight - needlessly), I switched on "Printer Server" in my Orange Livebox
    (Inventel DV4210-WU), which I now understand is to facilitate wireless PC's
    / Laptops etc. sending (wirelessly) stuff to be printed to a printer
    connected to a USB port on the Livebox - (where there isn't one currently
    connected and which I don't need, so I turned it off). I also switched on
    "Client For Microsoft Works" and "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft
    Networks" in the LAN connection Properties / in my LAN connection - in my PC
    in my outside office, (Livebox is connected to my office PC with a rj45
    lead), so that my niece can send print out from Dad's PC in the house that
    has a WMP54G wireless card in it - to my printer, out here in my office.

    Anyway, as you suggested, I guess that it's something to do with UPNP, (and
    /or switching on those two extra items in my LNA connection to this office
    PC), which I had switched on so that Azureus torrent / swarm software could
    open ports. I did read through the massive "walk-through" at Azureus that
    explained how to manually forward ports and manually set IP addresses and my
    ISP's primary and secondary DNS addresses but, I started to fall asleep !
    ....just like what happens wehn people start to read my posts ! :-)

    anyway ....thanks muchly :-)

    > Nope. Normally your PC would be at an address higher than the router, and
    > the normal router address is 192.168.1.1
    >
    > I've not tried to back track your post, and I'm not sure what you are
    > trying to accomplish. My guess is you don't have the correct hardware.
    > You've got two gateway devices (both connect to the phone line) rather
    > than a gateway device and a simple LAN router I believe. That means you
    > can only use one device at a time.
    >
    > --
    > David Hettel
    >
    > Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    > everyone
    > to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    > in
    > E-mail or news groups.

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    > indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    > or
    > inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
    > confers
    > no rights.
    >

    > "RJK" wrote in message
    >> ..AND I just noticed that in the WAG354G, single port forwarding is
    >> ticked (for TCP) for
    >> HTTP 80
    >> FTP ports 21 and 22
    >> Telenet port 23
    >> and POP3 port 110
    >> is that normal for these to be forwarded to my local IP address
    >> 192.168.1.1 ?
    >>
    >> ...as you can tell, I'll NEVER understand all this networking stuff ?
    >>
    >> regards, Richard
    >>

    >> "RJK" wrote in message
    >>> mmmm
    >>> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/368588.html