ad hoc to share DSL - Wireless

This is a discussion on ad hoc to share DSL - Wireless ; I'm trying to get two laptops running XP Pro on an ad hoc wireless network so that they can share a DSL connection. I've got them both on a network allegedly, but they don't see each other at all. I ...

  1. ad hoc to share DSL

    I'm trying to get two laptops running XP Pro on an ad hoc wireless network so
    that they can share a DSL connection. I've got them both on a network
    allegedly, but they don't see each other at all. I can't even ping one from
    the other. One's IP address is 192.168.0.1, while the other is
    169.254.17.124. Trying to ping the 192 guy yields the message "Destination
    host unreachable" while trying to ping the other way says "request timed out"

    Something is really not working here, but I don't know how to fix it or even
    what's wrong. Anyone have any suggestions?

  2. Re: ad hoc to share DSL

    Hi
    The computer with the 169.254.17.124. is not connected to any thing. This is
    an IP number that is given by default when their is No source (DHCP) server
    to give an IP. If one computer IP is 192.168.0.1, the second one has to be
    something like 192.168.0.2
    May be this can Help,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Daniel.Stud" wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get two laptops running XP Pro on an ad hoc wireless network
    > so
    > that they can share a DSL connection. I've got them both on a network
    > allegedly, but they don't see each other at all. I can't even ping one
    > from
    > the other. One's IP address is 192.168.0.1, while the other is
    > 169.254.17.124. Trying to ping the 192 guy yields the message
    > "Destination
    > host unreachable" while trying to ping the other way says "request timed
    > out"
    >
    > Something is really not working here, but I don't know how to fix it or
    > even
    > what's wrong. Anyone have any suggestions?

  3. Re: ad hoc to share DSL

    Thanks for the website; that's what I've been following to get this far. It
    just doesn't have much in the way of troubleshooting.

    As for the IP address issue, now there's a new situation. I scrapped the old
    ad hoc network and started a new one with a WEP encription, and now the
    computer that wasn't getting an address before has 192.168.0.139, and can be
    pinged from the other computer. However, it still cannot ping the other
    computer, and can't get on the internet. Still lost... thanks!

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > The computer with the 169.254.17.124. is not connected to any thing. This is
    > an IP number that is given by default when their is No source (DHCP) server
    > to give an IP. If one computer IP is 192.168.0.1, the second one has to be
    > something like 192.168.0.2
    > May be this can Help,
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Daniel.Stud" wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to get two laptops running XP Pro on an ad hoc wireless network
    > > so
    > > that they can share a DSL connection. I've got them both on a network
    > > allegedly, but they don't see each other at all. I can't even ping one
    > > from
    > > the other. One's IP address is 192.168.0.1, while the other is
    > > 169.254.17.124. Trying to ping the 192 guy yields the message
    > > "Destination
    > > host unreachable" while trying to ping the other way says "request timed
    > > out"
    > >
    > > Something is really not working here, but I don't know how to fix it or
    > > even
    > > what's wrong. Anyone have any suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread