File sharing between Win XP to Mac OX - Wireless

This is a discussion on File sharing between Win XP to Mac OX - Wireless ; I have a laptop running Windows XP Home with a wireless card and a Mac OX desktop, both sharing a cable modem. I understand that I can share files between the two computers (I'm primarily interested in photos, but could ...

  1. File sharing between Win XP to Mac OX

    I have a laptop running Windows XP Home with a wireless card and a Mac OX
    desktop, both sharing a cable modem. I understand that I can share files
    between the two computers (I'm primarily interested in photos, but could use
    several other platform-independent filetypes as well), but have not yet found
    how to do it.

    Has anyone here done this successfully and have any pointers? Or perhaps
    someone has found a reliable website that has this information? Any help
    would be greatly appreciated!

    -- Typeaux

  2. Re: File sharing between Win XP to Mac OX

    Typeaux wrote:

    > I have a laptop running Windows XP Home with a wireless card and a Mac OX
    > desktop, both sharing a cable modem. I understand that I can share files
    > between the two computers (I'm primarily interested in photos, but could use
    > several other platform-independent filetypes as well), but have not yet found
    > how to do it.

    Do NOT turn on file sharing in your peecee with that setup! Use a router
    with NAT and a built-in switch and connect it to the modem first. Then
    turn on file sharing on the Windows box.

    Or disconnect both from the modem and set up an IBSS (ad hoc wireless
    network) between them.

    > Has anyone here done this successfully and have any pointers? Or perhaps
    > someone has found a reliable website that has this information? Any help
    > would be greatly appreciated!

    Your Mac running OS X (10.2 or later) will connect over tcp/ip to your
    Windows computer where file sharing is turned on. Then, in the Finder,
    open the "Go" menu and choose "Connect to Server" (Command K). Enter the
    Windows ip address in Server Address (smb://192.168.0.55).

    And Google is your friend.

+ Reply to Thread