Can't see internet - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can't see internet - Wireless ; I had to format my HD due to viruses. Had to reload everthing. I have XPHOME, Dell 2400 using a D-link wireless adapter trying to connect to a 2WIRE wireless router. Everthing is set up. I can see the wireless ...

  1. Can't see internet

    I had to format my HD due to viruses. Had to reload everthing. I have XPHOME,
    Dell 2400 using a D-link wireless adapter trying to connect to a 2WIRE
    wireless router. Everthing is set up. I can see the wireless network, has
    great signal strength, but can't see other pc's or the internet.
    I had this problem when I intially set up this machine a few years back, but
    can't remember what i did to fix it. I tried going into MY COMPUTER/MANAGE
    and disabling the WIRELESS ZERO CONFIGURATION -- no help.
    I've tried using WINDOWS and the DLINK utility to initialize-no help. I've
    made sure the incription key is typed in and correct.
    Any other ideas?
    Would upgrading to XPPRO elliminate this problem?

    Thanks for any help,
    Phil

  2. Re: Can't see internet

    Hi
    This issue can be as a result of one or few settings between the Wireless
    Router and Wireless computer not matching in the
    configuration.
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "rothfam98" wrote in message
    >I had to format my HD due to viruses. Had to reload everthing. I have
    >XPHOME,
    > Dell 2400 using a D-link wireless adapter trying to connect to a 2WIRE
    > wireless router. Everthing is set up. I can see the wireless network, has
    > great signal strength, but can't see other pc's or the internet.
    > I had this problem when I intially set up this machine a few years back,
    > but
    > can't remember what i did to fix it. I tried going into MY COMPUTER/MANAGE
    > and disabling the WIRELESS ZERO CONFIGURATION -- no help.
    > I've tried using WINDOWS and the DLINK utility to initialize-no help.
    > I've
    > made sure the incription key is typed in and correct.
    > Any other ideas?
    > Would upgrading to XPPRO elliminate this problem?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Phil

  3. Re: Can't see internet

    On 17-Feb-2007, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." wrote:

    > > Any other ideas?
    > > Would upgrading to XPPRO elliminate this problem?

    Unlikely.
    Personally, to simplify things until I'd got a connection
    I'd turn off encryption.
    Then I'd put in static addresses for Gateway (your
    path to the outside world) and for the DNS server,
    (which is how your PC finds its way to anything).
    These are dotted quads of form nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
    and commonly are the IP address of your router.
    To find your wat to static addressing you start from
    Wireless connection -> Properties

    You can also type Start -> Run and in the box
    put ipconfig -all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    then find ipconfig.txt on C:\
    post the result here.

  4. Re: Can't see internet

    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I brought the pc home, I have the same
    2WIRE router at home. I noticed is was giving me a diff IP address than the
    other pc's on either router. I was getting a 192.168.0.xxx, when my other
    pc's were 172.16.0.xxx. So, I disabled Windows WZC and all works great. I
    tried this while at the office, no help, for some reason now it works.
    Now the real test will be taking back to my office!!
    Thanks again.

    "ato_zee@hotmail.com" wrote:

    > On 17-Feb-2007, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." wrote:
    >
    > > > Any other ideas?
    > > > Would upgrading to XPPRO elliminate this problem?

    > Unlikely.
    > Personally, to simplify things until I'd got a connection
    > I'd turn off encryption.
    > Then I'd put in static addresses for Gateway (your
    > path to the outside world) and for the DNS server,
    > (which is how your PC finds its way to anything).
    > These are dotted quads of form nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
    > and commonly are the IP address of your router.
    > To find your wat to static addressing you start from
    > Wireless connection -> Properties
    >
    > You can also type Start -> Run and in the box
    > put ipconfig -all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    > then find ipconfig.txt on C:\
    > post the result here.

  5. Re: Can't see internet

    I've taken the pc to work and can't see the LAN or net. It is not obtaining
    an IP addess. I manually punched in an address, gateway, DNS, etc and no help.
    Any suggestions?

    "rothfam98" wrote:

    > Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I brought the pc home, I have the same
    > 2WIRE router at home. I noticed is was giving me a diff IP address than the
    > other pc's on either router. I was getting a 192.168.0.xxx, when my other
    > pc's were 172.16.0.xxx. So, I disabled Windows WZC and all works great. I
    > tried this while at the office, no help, for some reason now it works.
    > Now the real test will be taking back to my office!!
    > Thanks again.

    > > Unlikely.
    > > Personally, to simplify things until I'd got a connection
    > > I'd turn off encryption.
    > > Then I'd put in static addresses for Gateway (your
    > > path to the outside world) and for the DNS server,
    > > (which is how your PC finds its way to anything).
    > > These are dotted quads of form nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
    > > and commonly are the IP address of your router.
    > > To find your wat to static addressing you start from
    > > Wireless connection -> Properties
    > >
    > > You can also type Start -> Run and in the box
    > > put ipconfig -all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    > > then find ipconfig.txt on C:\
    > > post the result here.

+ Reply to Thread