Location, location, location - Wireless

This is a discussion on Location, location, location - Wireless ; I had a perfectly good working wireless network a few weeks ago, and I tried to add another computer and since then I haven't been able to get the network to operate properly. The router seems to be working okay, ...

  1. Location, location, location

    I had a perfectly good working wireless network a few weeks ago, and I tried
    to add another computer and since then I haven't been able to get the network
    to operate properly. The router seems to be working okay, and the other
    computer seems to be able to pick up the router etc. It seems to me that
    althought this is working correctly and I have the computers in the same
    workgroup etc, the computers cannot share the files. The one thing that
    really jumps out at me as I go round and round in circles trying to fix my
    problem is that when I look at 'My Network places' on my main computer and on
    the laptop is that the Network Location for the laptop is "The Internet".
    Since these computers are on my home network, I don't think this location is
    correct. Can someone tell me if this is correct, and if not how can I fix
    it? Also, can someone direct me to a site that will give me really good
    directions on how to set up a wireless network - I have a rather antiquated
    ISDN internet connection, my main computer is using Windows XP Professional,
    so is my laptop, but the other computer that I was trying to add has Windows
    ME. My router is a Netgear MR814. It all worked perfectly before, but I
    can't seem to get it going again. HELP!

  2. Re: Location, location, location

    Tracey

    It sounds like a firewall problem. What firewall have you got and what are
    the settings for the router and linked PC's.
    However if it is just the new computer that is not showing you check the
    sharing properties.
    John

    "Tracey" wrote in message
    >I had a perfectly good working wireless network a few weeks ago, and I
    >tried
    > to add another computer and since then I haven't been able to get the
    > network
    > to operate properly. The router seems to be working okay, and the other
    > computer seems to be able to pick up the router etc. It seems to me that
    > althought this is working correctly and I have the computers in the same
    > workgroup etc, the computers cannot share the files. The one thing that
    > really jumps out at me as I go round and round in circles trying to fix my
    > problem is that when I look at 'My Network places' on my main computer and
    > on
    > the laptop is that the Network Location for the laptop is "The Internet".
    > Since these computers are on my home network, I don't think this location
    > is
    > correct. Can someone tell me if this is correct, and if not how can I fix
    > it? Also, can someone direct me to a site that will give me really good
    > directions on how to set up a wireless network - I have a rather
    > antiquated
    > ISDN internet connection, my main computer is using Windows XP
    > Professional,
    > so is my laptop, but the other computer that I was trying to add has
    > Windows
    > ME. My router is a Netgear MR814. It all worked perfectly before, but I
    > can't seem to get it going again. HELP!

  3. Re: Location, location, location

    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Basic XP -
    Advanced XP -
    Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Tracey" wrote in message
    >I had a perfectly good working wireless network a few weeks ago, and I
    >tried
    > to add another computer and since then I haven't been able to get the
    > network
    > to operate properly. The router seems to be working okay, and the other
    > computer seems to be able to pick up the router etc. It seems to me that
    > althought this is working correctly and I have the computers in the same
    > workgroup etc, the computers cannot share the files. The one thing that
    > really jumps out at me as I go round and round in circles trying to fix my
    > problem is that when I look at 'My Network places' on my main computer and
    > on
    > the laptop is that the Network Location for the laptop is "The Internet".
    > Since these computers are on my home network, I don't think this location
    > is
    > correct. Can someone tell me if this is correct, and if not how can I fix
    > it? Also, can someone direct me to a site that will give me really good
    > directions on how to set up a wireless network - I have a rather
    > antiquated
    > ISDN internet connection, my main computer is using Windows XP
    > Professional,
    > so is my laptop, but the other computer that I was trying to add has
    > Windows
    > ME. My router is a Netgear MR814. It all worked perfectly before, but I
    > can't seem to get it going again. HELP!

+ Reply to Thread