Why only 2 Mb/sec? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Why only 2 Mb/sec? - Wireless ; I have Netgear Wg311v3 network adapter connecting to a Netgear "b" level router about 2 feet away. I have an excellent signal, but only reporting 2Mb/sec, not 11. I have a laptop upstairs on another floor with a Netgear PCMCIA ...

  1. Why only 2 Mb/sec?

    I have Netgear Wg311v3 network adapter connecting to a Netgear "b"
    level router about 2 feet away. I have an excellent signal, but only
    reporting 2Mb/sec, not 11. I have a laptop upstairs on another floor
    with a Netgear PCMCIA card in it getting 11Mbs. Why would that be?

    -Jim

  2. Re: Why only 2 Mb/sec?

    Gotta be something wrong with the signal, or negotiations. 2Mb is not even a
    primary supported speed. It is a "fall-back" speed that would occur during
    link negotiations. Since you are getting 11Mb to this same router, in a more
    remote location of your house with another adapter, I would suspect the
    Wg311v3 adapter.

    -Frank

    "jtpr" wrote in message
    news:1171634510.969860.314010@k78g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have Netgear Wg311v3 network adapter connecting to a Netgear "b"
    > level router about 2 feet away. I have an excellent signal, but only
    > reporting 2Mb/sec, not 11. I have a laptop upstairs on another floor
    > with a Netgear PCMCIA card in it getting 11Mbs. Why would that be?
    >
    > -Jim

  3. Re: Why only 2 Mb/sec?

    Hi
    No 802.11b Wireless can provide 11Mb/sec.
    11Mb/sec. is the rating of the chipset work not the functional Bandwidth
    (Speed) produce by the system.
    A typical well tune 802.11b at a distance of 3' would yield 6-8Mb/sec. less
    with WEP On.
    The number that you read on various configuration screens are not
    necessarily Real. To measure the actual "Speed" transfer large file between
    through networked computers and measure the time and compute the rate.
    As a frame of reference, http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "jtpr" wrote in message
    news:1171634510.969860.314010@k78g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have Netgear Wg311v3 network adapter connecting to a Netgear "b"
    > level router about 2 feet away. I have an excellent signal, but only
    > reporting 2Mb/sec, not 11. I have a laptop upstairs on another floor
    > with a Netgear PCMCIA card in it getting 11Mbs. Why would that be?
    >
    > -Jim

+ Reply to Thread