New Wireless Broadband - HELP! - Wireless

This is a discussion on New Wireless Broadband - HELP! - Wireless ; I am very stuck and I think it is mainly down to general incompetence. I have a new wireless router from Sky - I attempted to set up my broadband last night using a wireless adapter. When connecting the router ...

  1. New Wireless Broadband - HELP!

    I am very stuck and I think it is mainly down to general incompetence.

    I have a new wireless router from Sky - I attempted to set up my broadband
    last night using a wireless adapter.
    When connecting the router i didnt connect using the earthnet cable as it
    suggested because i dont have the phoneline near the desktop.

    I appeared to have connected to it by using the wireless adapter - but then
    i was concerned about the security level as it has not appeared to ask me for
    the network key and SSID..

    Does a wireless adapter have the security network set up automatically when
    its installed?

    I also seemed to struggle when it said the adapter could not configure. I
    must have installed and uninstalled to try again about 4 times.

    Also how good is the range of a G+ adapter - i have the router downstairs
    and only one flight up and it seemed to be a weak signal.

    Can anybody point me to an idiots guide to set all of this up or tell me
    some basics to find out which part of the process im doing wrong. Frank and
    honest answers appreciated - if i need to get help from someone who know what
    their doing then id be grateful if you can tell me that as well.

    Thank You

    Paul

  2. Re: New Wireless Broadband - HELP!

    Check to see that your pre-existing wired DSL/Cable connection is not using
    the same address space that your new wireless router uses by default. If so,
    one of them will have to be changed. This is one thing that often foils
    self-run automatic configurations.

    If the above is not understandable to you, I'd recommend calling in a tech
    to set it up for you. The charge will normally be 1 hour of his time
    (certainly could be less, depending on his billing scheme). In my IT
    business, I do this all the time for folks. If you're in Denver, CO, let me
    know LOL...

    About the signal strength, even just one floor *could* be a problem. Depends
    on exactly what kind of material is between the antennas... and the
    distance.

    -Frank

    "Paul Veevers" wrote in message
    >I am very stuck and I think it is mainly down to general incompetence.
    >
    > I have a new wireless router from Sky - I attempted to set up my broadband
    > last night using a wireless adapter.
    > When connecting the router i didnt connect using the earthnet cable as it
    > suggested because i dont have the phoneline near the desktop.
    >
    > I appeared to have connected to it by using the wireless adapter - but
    > then
    > i was concerned about the security level as it has not appeared to ask me
    > for
    > the network key and SSID..
    >
    > Does a wireless adapter have the security network set up automatically
    > when
    > its installed?
    >
    > I also seemed to struggle when it said the adapter could not configure. I
    > must have installed and uninstalled to try again about 4 times.
    >
    > Also how good is the range of a G+ adapter - i have the router downstairs
    > and only one flight up and it seemed to be a weak signal.
    >
    > Can anybody point me to an idiots guide to set all of this up or tell me
    > some basics to find out which part of the process im doing wrong. Frank
    > and
    > honest answers appreciated - if i need to get help from someone who know
    > what
    > their doing then id be grateful if you can tell me that as well.
    >
    > Thank You
    >
    > Paul

  3. Re: New Wireless Broadband - HELP!

    Paul Veevers wrote:
    > I am very stuck and I think it is mainly down to general incompetence.
    >
    > I have a new wireless router from Sky - I attempted to set up my broadband
    > last night using a wireless adapter.
    > When connecting the router i didnt connect using the earthnet cable as it
    > suggested because i dont have the phoneline near the desktop.
    >
    > I appeared to have connected to it by using the wireless adapter - but then
    > i was concerned about the security level as it has not appeared to ask me for
    > the network key and SSID..
    >
    > Does a wireless adapter have the security network set up automatically when
    > its installed?
    >
    > I also seemed to struggle when it said the adapter could not configure. I
    > must have installed and uninstalled to try again about 4 times.
    >
    > Also how good is the range of a G+ adapter - i have the router downstairs
    > and only one flight up and it seemed to be a weak signal.
    >
    > Can anybody point me to an idiots guide to set all of this up or tell me
    > some basics to find out which part of the process im doing wrong. Frank and
    > honest answers appreciated - if i need to get help from someone who know what
    > their doing then id be grateful if you can tell me that as well.
    >
    > Thank You
    >
    > Paul

    It's hard to give you a specific answer about what went wrong because we
    don't know what you did.

    It's actually pretty easy to set up a WinXP wireless network, especially
    if all you are doing is connecting one computer to access the Internet
    (sharing files and printers among several computers takes just a bit
    more effort).

    The reason why most every one recommends configuring your wireless
    router by temporarily connecting a computer to the router by cable is
    that otherwise you will get disconnected in the middle of the setup as
    some of your wireless parameters are changed. This just means you have
    to reconnect, possibly changing settings on the computer.

    By default, a wireless adapter has NO security setup. Same with the router.

    There are basically 4 steps you need to take:

    1. Change the router's password to access its configuration screens.
    This is purely a security consideration; it will not affect your ability
    to connect to the Internet or to share resources, but it may prevent
    unauthorized people from messing with your network settings.
    2. Configure the router to connect to your ISP. This varies with your
    ISP's requirements. Typically, for DSL, it requires entering your ISP
    UserID and password.
    3. Change the router's default SSID (the name that your wireless
    network uses as an identification). You should pick something unique
    and recognizable, but not your last name or address.
    4. Establish wireless security (mainly encryption). In order of
    increasing effectiveness: WEP 64; WEP 128; WPA-PSK (TKIP);
    WPA-PSK (AES); WPA2-PSK. The "PSK" means "Pre-Shared Key" and on some
    routers may be called "Personal" instead of PSK. Note that ALL of the
    wireless hardware on the network must use the same level of encryption.

    As a fifth step, you may want to change the default channel used by the
    router in order to avoid interference from neighboring wireless networks.

    Signal strength is hard to predict. It depends not only on distance,
    but on what's in the way. That is, are you one flight up but at the
    other end of a large house? Are you in a steel and concrete building or
    a wood frame house? Do you have wood or metal studs in the wall? Do you
    have aluminum-backed insulation in the wall? etc., etc.

    Some of the links below that discuss the XP Wireless Network Setup
    Wizard mention the use of a USB flash drive. This is somewhat useful if
    you have multiple Win XP computers to configure, because the Wizard
    writes the required parameters to the flash drive and then the other Win
    XP computers can read the flash drive and "self-configure." However,
    most routers -- despite MS's wishful thinking - do not have a USB
    connection that will allow the router to be configured this way (i.e.,
    they do not "support Windows Connect Now." Most likely, you will still
    have to configure the router the old-fashioned way -- by hand. So go
    ahead and use the Wizard if you want to, but choose the option to print
    out the parameters rather than to store them on a flash drive.

    Here a a few links that should help you get it working:

    MS Technet's "The Cable Guy" on The New Wireless Network Setup Wizard in
    Windows XP Service Pack 2":
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...604.mspx#EJCAC

    MS Technet on "Configuring Windows XP IEEE 802.11 Wireless Networks for
    the Home and Small Business":
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../wifisoho.mspx

    MS: "4 steps to set up your home wireless network":
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...lesssetup.mspx

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -