Home Network File Sharing - Wireless

This is a discussion on Home Network File Sharing - Wireless ; Good Evening, Currently I have two computers; a desktop that runs XP (Comp 1) and a laptop that runs Vista Home Premium (Comp2). I set up a wireless network (via a wireless router) and both connect successfully to the internet ...

  1. Home Network File Sharing

    Good Evening,

    Currently I have two computers; a desktop that runs XP (Comp 1) and a laptop
    that runs Vista Home Premium (Comp2). I set up a wireless network (via a
    wireless router) and both connect successfully to the internet via its
    respective wirelss tools. I want to be able to share the printer from my
    Comp 1 on the network, as well as access the Comp 1 hardrive through the
    network.

    I was told that I simply had to enable sharing, but I can't get either
    computer to show up as accesible through the network.

    Suggestions?

  2. Re: Home Network File Sharing

    Are you running any Windows Firewalls ? If you do, try to disable them and
    try again.

    Johan Engdahl
    CCSA, CCSE, CCA, MCP | johan AT firewall1 DOT nu | http://www.firewall1.nu

    "Justin Roberts" wrote in message
    > Good Evening,
    >
    > Currently I have two computers; a desktop that runs XP (Comp 1) and a
    > laptop that runs Vista Home Premium (Comp2). I set up a wireless network
    > (via a wireless router) and both connect successfully to the internet via
    > its respective wirelss tools. I want to be able to share the printer from
    > my Comp 1 on the network, as well as access the Comp 1 hardrive through
    > the network.
    >
    > I was told that I simply had to enable sharing, but I can't get either
    > computer to show up as accesible through the network.
    >
    > Suggestions?

  3. Re: Home Network File Sharing

    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Basic XP -
    Advanced XP -
    Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Justin Roberts" wrote in message
    > Good Evening,
    >
    > Currently I have two computers; a desktop that runs XP (Comp 1) and a
    > laptop that runs Vista Home Premium (Comp2). I set up a wireless network
    > (via a wireless router) and both connect successfully to the internet via
    > its respective wirelss tools. I want to be able to share the printer from
    > my Comp 1 on the network, as well as access the Comp 1 hardrive through
    > the network.
    >
    > I was told that I simply had to enable sharing, but I can't get either
    > computer to show up as accesible through the network.
    >
    > Suggestions?

  4. Re: Home Network File Sharing

    Thanks for the suggestion. I am now able to get my computers to detect each
    other on the network, however, I am still having trouble. When I try and
    access the hard drive of my desktop (via my lap top), it won't allow me
    access to any of its sub folders (e.g. program files, my documents, etc.).
    It appears to be restricting access for some reason. I thought I had all
    sharing options enabled though.

    In addition, when I try and connect to my desktop printer through the
    network, it will read that the printer exists, but I am not able to send a
    successful print job through

    > Hi
    > settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is
    > allowed to be shared.
    > Basic XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    > Advanced XP -
    > Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Justin Roberts" wrote in message
    >> Good Evening,
    >>
    >> Currently I have two computers; a desktop that runs XP (Comp 1) and a
    >> laptop that runs Vista Home Premium (Comp2). I set up a wireless network
    >> (via a wireless router) and both connect successfully to the internet via
    >> its respective wirelss tools. I want to be able to share the printer
    >> from my Comp 1 on the network, as well as access the Comp 1 hardrive
    >> through the network.
    >>
    >> I was told that I simply had to enable sharing, but I can't get either
    >> computer to show up as accesible through the network.
    >>
    >> Suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread