Woulld Like to Create Wireless Network Between Laptop and Palm - Wireless

This is a discussion on Woulld Like to Create Wireless Network Between Laptop and Palm - Wireless ; Hello, I've tried the "Wireless Network Setup Wizard" and applied the network name and key to the palm and I get no signal from the laptop. I normally use it with a router to access the internet and it works ...

  1. Woulld Like to Create Wireless Network Between Laptop and Palm

    Hello,

    I've tried the "Wireless Network Setup Wizard" and applied the network
    name and key to the palm and I get no signal from the laptop. I normally use
    it with a router to access the internet and it works fine. (I'm using it
    right now.) I create a second network for the palm and give it priority when
    in range but I see no signal when I look in the palm for networks to lock on
    to. I know it is my ignorance here. I'd ask at the palm forum but I think
    it's a computer problem. That and they never answer your posts. I'll click
    'notify me of replies' and answer dialog. Thank you.

    Chris

  2. Re: Woulld Like to Create Wireless Network Between Laptop and Palm

    Perhaps you could backup and slow down a little here? Just what are you
    trying to do?

    What are you referring to when you say I created a second network for the
    palm ( and why?) and give it priority when in range, (How and where)

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    "Chris" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've tried the "Wireless Network Setup Wizard" and applied the network
    > name and key to the palm and I get no signal from the laptop. I normally
    > use
    > it with a router to access the internet and it works fine. (I'm using it
    > right now.) I create a second network for the palm and give it priority
    > when
    > in range but I see no signal when I look in the palm for networks to lock
    > on
    > to. I know it is my ignorance here. I'd ask at the palm forum but I think
    > it's a computer problem. That and they never answer your posts. I'll click
    > 'notify me of replies' and answer dialog. Thank you.
    >
    > Chris

  3. Re: Woulld Like to Create Wireless Network Between Laptop and Palm

    Hi again

    "David Hettel" wrote:

    > Perhaps you could backup and slow down a little here? Just what are you
    > trying to do?

    I just want to hotsync the palm with the data on the computer using the wifi
    connection instead of the cable. I assume that an ad-hoc connection is the
    way the two would talk. I just have a wireless connection with my router that
    is connected to my modem.

    > What are you referring to when you say I created a second network for the
    > palm ( and why?) and give it priority when in range, (How and where)

    I say second network because I think the connection point setup with the
    router is not suitable for the connection between the laptop and the palm.
    The palm needs to sync with the laptop not the router.

    I went to the 'wireless network connection properties' dialog box and
    clicked ADD.
    I typed a NAME and checked a box for an ad-hoc network and OK. I forgo the
    details but I entered the info into the palm. By the way, I tried this with
    and without a key and it works the same so I disabled the feature and worked
    with fewer variables. Well, I seem to get a response. I now get a CONNECTED
    sign on both units however it still won't hotsync. I think it has something
    to do with an ID for the computer. I need an IP I think. If I had an IP I
    could enter it as my computer in the palm. I try to search for a computer on
    my network on the palm but none show up and I need it to show up in order to
    hotsync. To cover as many avenues as possible, I made a request to PALM
    support too. It might be that at this point the problem involves some palm
    feature. Thanks.

    Chris
    > --
    > David Hettel

    > E-mail or news groups.

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    > no rights.
    >

    > "Chris" wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I've tried the "Wireless Network Setup Wizard" and applied the network
    > > name and key to the palm and I get no signal from the laptop. I normally
    > > use
    > > it with a router to access the internet and it works fine. (I'm using it
    > > right now.) I create a second network for the palm and give it priority
    > > when
    > > in range but I see no signal when I look in the palm for networks to lock
    > > on
    > > to. I know it is my ignorance here. I'd ask at the palm forum but I think
    > > it's a computer problem. That and they never answer your posts. I'll click
    > > 'notify me of replies' and answer dialog. Thank you.
    > >
    > > Chris

  4. Re: Woulld Like to Create Wireless Network Between Laptop and Palm

    Hi

    I still haven't got it fixed. I got a message from customer support but they
    give no support on creating the network. I will add the message below.
    I am clear about the palm side of things but not the network.
    Chris

    Dear Chris:

    Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Anthony. I
    understand that you are having difficulty performing a Wi-Fi HotSync® with
    your Palm T|X™ handheld.

    Wi-Fi technology on your handheld can replace the USB sync cable if your
    desktop computer is on the network and you're in range of an Wi-Fi access
    point.

    Before you can synchronize wirelessly, you must synchronize at least once
    with your computer using the USB sync cable.

    Make sure you've set up a working Wi-Fi network connection. You can also
    follow the steps provided below to setup a Wi-Fi connection.

    Tap Wi-Fi controls on the status bar.
    Select the Wi-Fi pick list, and then select On.
    Select the Network pick list, and then do one of the following:
    If the network is listed and does not require an encryption key¹, select the
    network. Wait for the connection to finish, and then select Done. You are now
    connected and this procedure is done.
    If the network is not listed or if the network requires an encryption key¹,
    select Edit Networks and go to the next step.
    ¹ An encryption key is a series of letters and numbers that enables data to
    be encrypted and then decrypted so it can be safely shared within a network.
    Your LifeDrive device supports two encryption systems: WEP and WPA-PSK.
    Consult your network administrator or IT department for more information.

    Add or edit a network:
    If the network appears on the list, select the network and then select Edit
    to add encryption key information.
    If the network does not appear on the list, select Add. The network may be
    hidden for security purposes. Then, Add the network name or SSID if it does
    not appear. An SSID is required for hidden networks. Consult your network
    administrator or IT department for more information.
    Select the Security pick list, and then select a security option:
    If your network does not require any encryption settings, select None.
    If your network requires WEP encryption, select WEP. Then:
    Select the Key box.
    Select the Key Type pick list and select a key type:
    40-bit hex Creates a 10-digit hexadecimal number.
    40-bit ASCII Creates a five-character string.
    40-bit passphrase Creates a variable-length string.
    104-bit hex Creates a 26-digit hexadecimal number.
    104-bit ASCII Creates a 13-character string.
    104-bit passphrase Creates a variable-length string.
    If you want to enter more than one WEP key, or you want to generate four WEP
    keys from a passphrase, check the Four keys box.
    Enter the WEP key(s).
    If you checked the Four keys box, select an index number from the Key Index
    pick list, and repeat.
    If your network requires WPA-PSK encryption, select WPA-PSK. Then:
    Select the Key box.
    Assign a passphrase.
    Select OK.
    Optional: Manually set your IP or DNS addresses:
    a. Select Details.

    b. Select the Connect to pick list, and then select Access Point
    (infrastructure).

    c. Select Advanced.

    d. Select the IP Address or DNS Server pick list, and then select
    Manual.

    e. Enter the IP address or DNS server information.

    f. If you want to use a preamble, check the Use short preamble box.

    g. Select OK.

    Select OK and then select Done. You can now connect to the network any time
    you are within range of the access point.
    At this point, if the network provides Internet access, you can surf the web
    or check your email using the Wi-Fi connection.
    Then, go to Applications and select HotSync.Tap the box for Network, and
    make sure the network service box is set to Wi-Fi. Tap the HotSync icon to
    begin synchronization.

    Chris, we want to make sure that your issue is resolved. If you need
    further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. You can also
    find more information about Palm products, including troubleshooting articles
    and frequently asked questions at:

    http://www.palm.com/us/support

    A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you shortly. We hope you
    will take the time to provide us with feedback about your support experience,
    as it will help us in our effort to continually improve our services.

    Thank you for choosing Palm.

    Sincerely,

    Anthony

    Palm Technical Support