repeated internet drop outs - Wireless

This is a discussion on repeated internet drop outs - Wireless ; I'm running XP2 SP2 over a wireless connection to a netgear router, using Netgear Rangemax Wireless PCI Adapter WPN311. The router has its firewall on. Unless I disable the Windows firewall on my computer only (none of the others on ...

  1. repeated internet drop outs

    I'm running XP2 SP2 over a wireless connection to a netgear router, using
    Netgear Rangemax Wireless PCI Adapter WPN311. The router has its firewall on.
    Unless I disable the Windows firewall on my computer only (none of the others
    on the network have the problem), I have repeated disconnects, often with a
    message ndIEvent1 exception, as well as error messages related to
    wlancfg.exe. I then have to restart the Netgear program, if not Windows.
    With the firewall off, it's solid as a rock! What's happening, and is the
    hardware firewall safe? Is there a fix?

  2. Re: repeated internet drop outs

    Hi
    If your connection is through a Router, Win XP SP2 Firewall is not adding
    much.
    However you should use Software Firewall.
    This page explains the issue, http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
    And more about securing each computer here,
    http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
    As for the Wireless, it seems the Netgear utility has compatibility problem.
    Check Netwgear support site for upgrade.
    Or ditch the Netwgear utility and use Windows Zero Configuration.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "docq" wrote in message
    > I'm running XP2 SP2 over a wireless connection to a netgear router, using
    > Netgear Rangemax Wireless PCI Adapter WPN311. The router has its firewall
    > on.
    > Unless I disable the Windows firewall on my computer only (none of the
    > others
    > on the network have the problem), I have repeated disconnects, often with
    > message ndIEvent1 exception, as well as error messages related to
    > wlancfg.exe. I then have to restart the Netgear program, if not Windows.
    > With the firewall off, it's solid as a rock! What's happening, and is the
    > hardware firewall safe? Is there a fix?

+ Reply to Thread