WPA AES & WPA2 AES - Wireless

This is a discussion on WPA AES & WPA2 AES - Wireless ; Hi, Could someone reply with the difference between WPA with AES encryption & WPA2 with AES encryption. thanks...

  1. WPA AES & WPA2 AES

    Hi,

    Could someone reply with the difference between WPA with AES
    encryption & WPA2 with AES encryption.

    thanks

  2. Re: WPA AES & WPA2 AES

    Hi
    From the weakest to the Strongest..
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    ----------------------------
    What is WEP WPA, and WPA2 -
    The security must be set according to lowest capable Wireless component.
    I.e. even most of you Wireless are capable to do WPA2, but one device is
    only capable to do WEP, the whole system must be configured to WEP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "max" wrote in message
    news:1171377824.388079.72710@s48g2000cws.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Could someone reply with the difference between WPA with AES
    > encryption & WPA2 with AES encryption.
    >
    > thanks

  3. Re: WPA AES & WPA2 AES

    > "max" wrote in message
    > news:1171377824.388079.72710@s48g2000cws.googlegro ups.com...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Could someone reply with the difference between WPA with AES
    >> encryption & WPA2 with AES encryption.
    >>
    >> thanks

    Though Jack gave you the array of choices, he did not describe the
    DIFFERENCE between WPA and WPA2 with AES encryption.

    First off, though some vendors provided the ability, AES was not a part of
    the WPA interoperable test specification from the WiFi Alliance. And that
    is basically what WPA and WPA2 are, they are test interoperability
    specifications. WPA was built of a draft release of 802.11i and supported a
    new key generation algorithm and encryption process called TKIP, while WPA2
    was built from the full "Real Secure Network" definition in the final
    802.11i specification and included new encryption process named AES.

    While all of that is a nice history lesson, the DIFFERENCE between the two
    deals with the manner and algorithms used to authenticate user/shared key
    and generation of the key sent to the MAC layer to actually encrypt the data
    packets going between the AP and client.

    Phil Doragh

  4. Re: WPA AES & WPA2 AES

    Hi
    The paged linked in my post above describes the differences.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Philip Doragh" wrote in message
    news:LnEAh.5929$MN.3728@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net ...
    >> "max" wrote in message
    >> news:1171377824.388079.72710@s48g2000cws.googlegro ups.com...
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Could someone reply with the difference between WPA with AES
    >>> encryption & WPA2 with AES encryption.
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>

    > Though Jack gave you the array of choices, he did not describe the
    > DIFFERENCE between WPA and WPA2 with AES encryption.
    >
    > First off, though some vendors provided the ability, AES was not a part of
    > the WPA interoperable test specification from the WiFi Alliance. And that
    > is basically what WPA and WPA2 are, they are test interoperability
    > specifications. WPA was built of a draft release of 802.11i and supported
    > a new key generation algorithm and encryption process called TKIP, while
    > WPA2 was built from the full "Real Secure Network" definition in the final
    > 802.11i specification and included new encryption process named AES.
    >
    > While all of that is a nice history lesson, the DIFFERENCE between the two
    > deals with the manner and algorithms used to authenticate user/shared key
    > and generation of the key sent to the MAC layer to actually encrypt the
    > data packets going between the AP and client.
    >
    > Phil Doragh

+ Reply to Thread