WEP Network Key - Wireless

This is a discussion on WEP Network Key - Wireless ; I just started trying to use a wireless notebook adapter instead of a USB network adapter with my laptop and I cannot get the WEP Network key to "save" in the properties so I have to enter it manually every ...

  1. WEP Network Key

    I just started trying to use a wireless notebook adapter instead of a USB
    network adapter with my laptop and I cannot get the WEP Network key to "save"
    in the properties so I have to enter it manually every time. What am I
    missing?
    The USB adapter and my wireless router are Linksys wireless-B, and my
    notebook adapter is wireless-G. Not sure if this makes any difference. Also,
    when I use the USB adapter, I noticed the available networks doesn't show
    anything, but when I plug in the notebook adapter, it shows my SSID, but it
    either shows limited connectivity (with no apparent internet access) or
    requests the network key to connect. When I enter the key, it works great
    until the next time the laptop goes into suspend mode or is restarted.

  2. Re: WEP Network Key

    Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wep
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Stephen" wrote in message
    news95AB28E-0796-4F3C-AC45-1344AD28B0D7@microsoft.com...
    >I just started trying to use a wireless notebook adapter instead of a USB
    > network adapter with my laptop and I cannot get the WEP Network key to
    > "save"
    > in the properties so I have to enter it manually every time. What am I
    > missing?
    > The USB adapter and my wireless router are Linksys wireless-B, and my
    > notebook adapter is wireless-G. Not sure if this makes any difference.
    > Also,
    > when I use the USB adapter, I noticed the available networks doesn't show
    > anything, but when I plug in the notebook adapter, it shows my SSID, but
    > it
    > either shows limited connectivity (with no apparent internet access) or
    > requests the network key to connect. When I enter the key, it works great
    > until the next time the laptop goes into suspend mode or is restarted.

  3. Re: WEP Network Key

    Information is better than a dud address? lol.

    > Hi
    > May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wep
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Stephen" wrote in message
    > news95AB28E-0796-4F3C-AC45-1344AD28B0D7@microsoft.com...
    >>I just started trying to use a wireless notebook adapter instead of a USB
    >> network adapter with my laptop and I cannot get the WEP Network key to
    >> "save"
    >> in the properties so I have to enter it manually every time. What am I
    >> missing?
    >> The USB adapter and my wireless router are Linksys wireless-B, and my
    >> notebook adapter is wireless-G. Not sure if this makes any difference.
    >> Also,
    >> when I use the USB adapter, I noticed the available networks doesn't show
    >> anything, but when I plug in the notebook adapter, it shows my SSID, but
    >> it
    >> either shows limited connectivity (with no apparent internet access) or
    >> requests the network key to connect. When I enter the key, it works great
    >> until the next time the laptop goes into suspend mode or is restarted.

  4. RE: WEP Network Key

    Dear Stephen:
    USING WEP, WPA-PSK, ETC.,
    DOES HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPACT ON:
    SIGNAL STREGHT AND SIGNAL QUALITY. AND THUS,
    IT REDUCES SIGNAL RANGE QUITE DRAMATICALLY!

    I think you are trying connect your Wi-Fi portable PC to your Wi-Fi
    AP/Router from
    too far away or your Wi-Fi devices are too far apart from each other's maximun
    range, if you will....
    Don't forget that Wi-Fi Equipment, propietary or not-(name brand or generic),
    have Federal restrictions on the issue of frequency band spectrum-usage!
    In the U.S.A., Wi-Fi devices can achieve at best 1/4 of a mile (400m) of range
    when used OUTDOORS. Incredibly, only about 100 Feet (32.5m) INDOORS!
    ALL OF THIS EXCLUDING THE USAGE OF ALL SECURITY FEATURES EXCEPT
    THE MAC-ADDRESS FILTER AUTHENTICATION FEATURE.

    I know what you're talking about. Based on my very own (empirical),
    experience,
    I can almost perceive your actual problem. Okay, here, a few questions for
    you:

    1. Is it a Wi-Fi router or an Acces Point?
    2. What's the distance between you Wi-Fi portable PC and your Access Point?
    3. Is there any object or otherwise an obstacle between them, or is your Wi-Fi
    AP/Router in another room?
    4. Are ther any other Wi-Fi devices near yours? (e.,g., Neighbors Wi-Fi, or
    power
    line near by, someone else's DSL antena, too many cordless phones).
    5. How many Wi-Fi devices have you set up and configured in your Wi-Fi
    AP/Router?
    6. Do you have your Wi-Fi portable PC configured to also connect through
    another
    Wi-Fi AP/Router?
    OR
    7. Is your WEP key so complex? (e.,g., 48bit, 64bit, 128bit, ASCII).
    8. Is your Wi-Fi portable PC's option in "Wireless Network Connection
    Properties"
    Check box that reads "Use Windows to manage this wireless network
    connection"
    CHECKED? Or is it UNCHECKED so that the your Wi-Fi device driver will
    manage
    and configure your wireless connections?
    Note: All these questions point you to "what you might need to pay attention
    to",
    whether you're using a Wi-Fi router or an Wi-Fi Acces Point;
    perhaps you
    are attempting to connect from too far away from it.
    For one last thing: If you use a portable PC (NOTEBOOK), etc., chances are
    you have
    got it configured to "SUSPEND", and not to "HIBERNATE"; ENTERING SUSPENSION
    ON WINDOWS XP SP1 AND SP2 WILL CAUSE YOUR NOTEBOOK TO NOT STORE
    YOUR Wi-Fi CONFIGURATION SETTINGS. Read Microsoft article:
    msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms809962.aspx
    for more on this.
    Good luck.
    Bye,
    Franz

  5. Re: WEP Network Key

    "Franz" wrote in message
    news8029525-3C63-46C2-A4EF-B2D0B0C8D126@microsoft.com...
    > Dear Stephen:
    > USING WEP, WPA-PSK, ETC.,
    > DOES HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPACT ON:
    > SIGNAL STREGHT AND SIGNAL QUALITY. AND THUS,
    > IT REDUCES SIGNAL RANGE QUITE DRAMATICALLY!

    Eh?

  6. RE: WEP Network Key

    Thanks Franz, but I have had my USB adapter in the same location for a couple
    of years and have never had a problem with signal strength - usually
    excellent, sometimes only very good (like when the microwave is turned on).
    When I have successfully, and manually, entered the network key using the
    notebook adapter the signal strength is the same.
    I'll check into the "hibernate" issue...thanks.

+ Reply to Thread