AirLink AR325W sees network, not internet - Wireless

This is a discussion on AirLink AR325W sees network, not internet - Wireless ; I can't figure out how to troubleshoot my loss of wireless internet connectivity which developed when I changed my router from a Linksys BEFSR41 to an AirLink AR325W when the linksys died. I would rather not buy another router just ...

  1. AirLink AR325W sees network, not internet

    I can't figure out how to troubleshoot my loss of wireless internet
    connectivity which developed when I changed my router from a Linksys
    BEFSR41 to an AirLink AR325W when the linksys died. I would rather not
    buy another router just for troubleshooting purposes.

    Short version: cable modem, wired/wireless AirLink AR325W router using
    only the ethernet wired ports, AirLink AP421W configured as accesspoint
    only ethernet wired to the AR325W router, 2-3 other computers ethernet
    wired to router, problem machine: Win98se OS, Realtek RTL8185 pci
    wireless lan card, disconnected mobo ethernet lan function. The
    wireless W98se can see the router and the network computers and the
    wireless AP but it can't access the internet.

    Old config1: Linksys befsr41 router + wired network which included
    AirLink AP421W accesspoint which was accessed by W98se Realtek RTL8185
    pci wireless lan card. 98seRealTek could access wired network and the
    internet, everything's cool. Then the linksys died and was replaced by
    AirLink AR325W router not for its wirelessness but because it was on
    sale cheaper than I could buy a wired router.

    Background1: cable modem, linksys befsr41 ethernet wired to serveral
    computers running various linux distros and win98se partitions. I
    wanted to experiment with wireless because a friend was going to be
    visiting with a wireless LT laptop and wanted to access the router and
    cable modem from other parts of the house. So, I converted one of my
    ethernet wired computers to a mobile by installing a wireless pci card,
    which PCI card I chose so that it would be compatible with both linux
    and win, and established an ethernet wired access point Airlink AP421W,
    and put the computer system on a wheeled mobile desk so I could use it
    in the kitchen while in front of the kitchen TV.

    Background2: I had to experiment with different pci wireless cards
    before I found one which would work via the access point. I was trying
    to choose one which would work with both linux and win OSes.

    Background3: Upon changing the linksys router to the airlink, several
    old linksys functions wouldn't work, including choosing my dns, so I
    flashed the new airlink's firmware to a newer version. When I did that,
    it lost its ability to keep logs for WallWatcher which had previously
    worked. So I returned the AirLink router and got another one and worked
    with the WW developer to get a WW upgrade which included my model
    AirLink. I also swore to not upgrade/ firmware flash the AirLink unless
    it became inop. My linksys previously had had to have its firmware
    reflashed 3 separate times before the last death could not be firmware
    flash rejuvenated. That is, when the linksys would occasionally become
    operationally dysfunctional I could flash the firmware to fix it. One
    of those was secondary to a power surge. The others were unexplained.
    The last time it went kaput, it was not visible at its IP address, so it
    could not be flash firmware restored.

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: AirLink AR325W sees network, not internet

    Hi
    Is the core IP of the AP421W matches now the one of the new Router?
    Did you switched Off the Wireless on the AR325W?
    Alternately, did you try to connect the Wireless computer to the new AR325W
    using the Wireless with security temporarily Off?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    news:45cf9cda$0$97264$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
> [...]
    > old linksys functions wouldn't work, including choosing my dns, so I
    > flashed the new airlink's firmware to a newer version. When I did that,
    > it lost its ability to keep logs for WallWatcher which had previously
    > worked. So I returned the AirLink router and got another one and worked
    > with the WW developer to get a WW upgrade which included my model
    > AirLink. I also swore to not upgrade/ firmware flash the AirLink unless
    > it became inop. My linksys previously had had to have its firmware
    > reflashed 3 separate times before the last death could not be firmware
    > flash rejuvenated. That is, when the linksys would occasionally become
    > operationally dysfunctional I could flash the firmware to fix it. One
    > of those was secondary to a power surge. The others were unexplained.
    > The last time it went kaput, it was not visible at its IP address, so it

  3. Re: AirLink AR325W sees network, not internet

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi

    Hi, thanks for responding. I'm realizing how little I understand about
    wireless device configurations.

    I'm sorta baffled by the RealTek wireless LAN utility which is a StartUp
    program. It [presumably the PCI wireless card or its utility] appears
    to be configurable as a station or access point, which confuses me.
    That would make more sense for the AR421W which is configured with the
    http as an AP. It the wireless 98 with its RealTek utility can see and
    measure the signal from both the AP421W and the router AR325W, which are
    both currently unsecured and the AP is on channel 6 and the AR router
    wireless is on channel 11.

    I can also see/access the http of the AP which is at 192.168.1.250 and
    also the router at 192.168.1.1 using the channel 6 which goes thru' the
    AP, but I can't access the modem's http which is at 192.168.1.100

    > Is the core IP of the AP421W matches now the one of the new Router?

    I don't understand the 'core' term. The AP is configured to use
    192.168.1.1 as its gateway, which is the IP of the router. The
    wireless98 is currently at 192.168.1.101

    > Did you switched Off the Wireless on the AR325W?

    Yes. I have powered down the entire network and then brought it back up
    sequentially, starting with the router and then the AP and then the
    computers connected. I've done that more than once.

    > Alternately, did you try to connect the Wireless computer to the new
    > AR325W using the Wireless with security temporarily Off?

    All security is currently off.

    I've now discovered I can get a ping echo from the WAN, eg 72.14.207.99
    which is googleweb. However, even if I try to access the googlepage
    with the IP http eg http://72.14.207.99 I cannot get the page. The IP
    address for google will work on my machines with normal access.

    So, I can echo a ping but I can't get the page even if I don't need name
    resolution. That must mean that the router somehow isn't handling the
    address translation properly, doesn't it? It seems like there must be
    some confusion going thru' that AP.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: AirLink AR325W sees network, not internet

    Oops. Error.

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > but I can't access the modem's http which is at 192.168.1.100

    I mean the modem's http which is at 192.168.100.1/ -- I have another
    computer which is assigned 192.168.1.100 namely this one I'm using now.

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: AirLink AR325W sees network, not internet

    Hi

    Since both devices are 198.168.1.x they are on the same subnet so their core
    (base) IP is ok.

    From a point of view of Wireless Both Wireless Router and Access Point are
    Access Points. I am not familiar with the card's utility but it should be
    configured to work in infrastructure mode with Access Point not matte which
    device you use.

    By Switching off the Wireless, I did not mean the Reboot Wireless Router.
    If you plan to use the AP, and the two devices are close one to the other
    switch Off the Wireless Radio of the unit that you are not using, there is
    probably a menu entry that allows you to do so.

    If you keep using the AP as the Wireless Source configure it as a
    transparent device. I.e. switch Off the DHCP and let the computer obtain
    Auto IP and DNS from the first Router.

    news:45cfc0f8$0$97267$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
    > Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >> Hi

    > Hi, thanks for responding. I'm realizing how little I understand about
    > wireless device configurations.
    >
    > I'm sorta baffled by the RealTek wireless LAN utility which is a StartUp
    > program. It [presumably the PCI wireless card or its utility] appears
    > to be configurable as a station or access point, which confuses me.
    > That would make more sense for the AR421W which is configured with the
    > http as an AP. It the wireless 98 with its RealTek utility can see and
    > measure the signal from both the AP421W and the router AR325W, which are
    > both currently unsecured and the AP is on channel 6 and the AR router
    > wireless is on channel 11.
    >
    > I can also see/access the http of the AP which is at 192.168.1.250 and
    > also the router at 192.168.1.1 using the channel 6 which goes thru' the
    > AP, but I can't access the modem's http which is at 192.168.1.100
    >
    >> Is the core IP of the AP421W matches now the one of the new Router?

    > I don't understand the 'core' term. The AP is configured to use
    > 192.168.1.1 as its gateway, which is the IP of the router. The
    > wireless98 is currently at 192.168.1.101
    >
    >> Did you switched Off the Wireless on the AR325W?

    > Yes. I have powered down the entire network and then brought it back up
    > sequentially, starting with the router and then the AP and then the
    > computers connected. I've done that more than once.
    >
    >> Alternately, did you try to connect the Wireless computer to the new
    >> AR325W using the Wireless with security temporarily Off?

    > All security is currently off.
    >
    > I've now discovered I can get a ping echo from the WAN, eg 72.14.207.99
    > which is googleweb. However, even if I try to access the googlepage
    > with the IP http eg http://72.14.207.99 I cannot get the page. The IP
    > address for google will work on my machines with normal access.
    >
    > So, I can echo a ping but I can't get the page even if I don't need name
    > resolution. That must mean that the router somehow isn't handling the
    > address translation properly, doesn't it? It seems like there must be
    > some confusion going thru' that AP.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

  6. Re: AirLink AR325W sees network, not internet

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:

    > By Switching off the Wireless, I did not mean the Reboot Wireless
    > Router. If you plan to use the AP, and the two devices are close one
    > to the other switch Off the Wireless Radio of the unit that you are
    > not using, there is probably a menu entry that allows you to do so.

    That ability to turn off its wireless is a newer firmware feature which
    was added which is not available in my current version, and I don't want
    to flash the firmware unless I have to. I'm leaning toward flashing it
    anyway because of my troubleshooting, but I'm afraid I might lose my
    logging ability like I did last time. I suppose I could revert back to
    the old firmware if I did lose the logging. Presently my wirelessness
    is less important than my logging, because I could convert the wireless
    computer back to a wired one.

    > If you keep using the AP as the Wireless Source configure it as a
    > transparent device. I.e. switch Off the DHCP and let the computer
    > obtain Auto IP and DNS from the first Router.

    I'm confused about how to configure the AP vs how I've configured the
    W98's wireless.

    The default configuration of the AP for accessing its http is
    192.168.1.250 and it is configured for its IP to be static. When I look
    at the DHCP clients in the router's http, it shows every computer which
    has accessed it, including my friend's computer which isn't here any
    more. The router hasn't been shut down since he left.

    So, the list of clients currently seen at the router are two wired
    computers which are accessing, the friend's wireless LT computer which
    is gone, and the 98 wireless 101 which can't access the internet. The
    router doesn't see the AP 250 at all, but it seems that the AP is
    'transparent' because the router looks thru' the AP to see the 98
    wireless, unless that item on the list is there because of it accessing
    the wireless of the router earlier as a 101.

    Should I configure the access point to have a static IP such as 250
    which is where I was told I could access it? Why doesn't the AP show up
    as a client in the router's lineup at 250?

    I think I need to find a webpage that talks specifically about wireless
    card configuration via an access point. I've considered taking out the
    access point and using the wireless of the router, but there is a
    'geography' or location problem. The router isn't in a good place for
    having any range, whereas the AP is better positioned.

    --
    Mike Easter

+ Reply to Thread