ieee1394 connection problem - Wireless

This is a discussion on ieee1394 connection problem - Wireless ; Hi, I have a problem connecting two laptop through a Firewire 400 cable. I have two IBM ThinkPad laptops ( R51 and R52 ) which both have build-in FireWire and i'm trying to connect from one computer to another computer. ...

  1. ieee1394 connection problem

    Hi,

    I have a problem connecting two laptop through a Firewire 400 cable.

    I have two IBM ThinkPad laptops ( R51 and R52 ) which both have build-in
    FireWire and i'm trying to connect from one computer to another computer. I
    have succeed making a Network Bridge on both laptops, but when i'm type in
    \\MyMachineName to connect to computer no 2, it prompt me with a login to the
    Guest accout. I type in the password for that account, but it seems it will
    not accept that password. I know the password is right and no capital letters
    and so on.

    I have followed this artichle : Using IEEE 1395 Devices with Windows XP
    (Creating Network Bridges) -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02march25.mspx

    Any ideas what's wrong ?

    Any answers are appreciated.

  2. RE: ieee1394 connection problem

    I' don't know why this end up in networking.wireless

    If anyone knows the right name for the group, please tell me and i will move
    the question.

    Thanks!

    "Georgebaker" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem connecting two laptop through a Firewire 400 cable.
    >
    > I have two IBM ThinkPad laptops ( R51 and R52 ) which both have build-in
    > FireWire and i'm trying to connect from one computer to another computer. I
    > have succeed making a Network Bridge on both laptops, but when i'm type in
    > \\MyMachineName to connect to computer no 2, it prompt me with a login to the
    > Guest accout. I type in the password for that account, but it seems it will
    > not accept that password. I know the password is right and no capital letters
    > and so on.
    >
    > I have followed this artichle : Using IEEE 1395 Devices with Windows XP
    > (Creating Network Bridges) -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02march25.mspx
    >
    > Any ideas what's wrong ?
    >
    > Any answers are appreciated.

  3. Re: ieee1394 connection problem

    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Basic XP -
    Advanced XP -
    Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Georgebaker" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem connecting two laptop through a Firewire 400 cable.
    >
    > I have two IBM ThinkPad laptops ( R51 and R52 ) which both have build-in
    > FireWire and i'm trying to connect from one computer to another computer.
    > have succeed making a Network Bridge on both laptops, but when i'm type in
    > \\MyMachineName to connect to computer no 2, it prompt me with a login to
    > the
    > Guest accout. I type in the password for that account, but it seems it
    > will
    > not accept that password. I know the password is right and no capital
    > letters
    > and so on.
    >
    > I have followed this artichle : Using IEEE 1395 Devices with Windows XP
    > (Creating Network Bridges) -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02march25.mspx
    >
    > Any ideas what's wrong ?
    >
    > Any answers are appreciated.

  4. Re: ieee1394 connection problem

    Georgebaker wrote:
    > I' don't know why this end up in networking.wireless
    >
    > If anyone knows the right name for the group, please tell me and i will move
    > the question.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Georgebaker" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a problem connecting two laptop through a Firewire 400 cable.
    >>
    >> I have two IBM ThinkPad laptops ( R51 and R52 ) which both have build-in
    >> FireWire and i'm trying to connect from one computer to another computer. I
    >> have succeed making a Network Bridge on both laptops, but when i'm type in
    >> \\MyMachineName to connect to computer no 2, it prompt me with a login to the
    >> Guest accout. I type in the password for that account, but it seems it will
    >> not accept that password. I know the password is right and no capital letters
    >> and so on.
    >>
    >> I have followed this artichle : Using IEEE 1395 Devices with Windows XP
    >> (Creating Network Bridges) -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02march25.mspx
    >>
    >> Any ideas what's wrong ?
    >>
    >> Any answers are appreciated.

    A better group would be microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

    But, as long as you're here ...

    Unless you want to connect the two laptops to another network (for
    example, as shown in the article you cited, a wireless network), there
    is no need to have a network bridge. Delete the bridges you created.

    Following adapted from MS-MVP Malke's advice:

    If all you want to do is to share files between the two laptops, the
    simplest thing to do is to connect the FireWire cable, make sure that
    you have all third-party firewalls disabled (preferably uninstalled),
    and run the Network Setup Wizard on both laptops, making sure to enable
    File & Printer Sharing, and reboot.

    The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall.
    If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
    "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts as a
    firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party firewall software,
    configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as trusted.

    Because there is no router or other source of handing out IP addresses,
    the two FireWire NICs will fall back on the Windows default of using
    APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) and assign IP addresses of the
    form 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255. You would then have to identify
    this range of IP addresses as "trusted." If I were you, however, I
    would go into the Properties of each FireWire NIC and set a static IP
    for each of the two computers. For example, use 192.168.1.10 and
    192.168.1.15, and use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for each. Then
    explicitly identify the two addresses you set as "trusted."

    Note that the "Guest" account is the built-in account named Guest, not
    one that you created. It can be "on" or "off" as long as it is not
    "disabled." See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300489

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

  5. Re: ieee1394 connection problem

    On Feb 11, 9:20 pm, Lem wrote:
> [...]

    > "disabled." Seehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/300489
    >
    > If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:
    >
    > a. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
    > Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user
    > accounts/passwords on all computers.
    >
    > b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    > Simple File Sharing enabled.
    >
    > Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means
    > that anyone without a user account on the target system can use its
    > resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    > matters in your situation.
    >
    > Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    > home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
    > folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
    > Shared Documents folder.- Hide quoted text -

    Jack and Lem, thank you for your answers.

    Lem: I have now set the computers with the ip-address 192.168.1.10 and
    192.168.1.15 and the sub as 255.255.255.0,

    but how can i set the ip-addresses as trusted ? Do you mean in
    Internet Explorer ?

  6. Re: ieee1394 connection problem

    georgebaker@hotmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    >> accounts/passwords on all computers.
    >>
    >> b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    >> Simple File Sharing enabled.
    >>
    >> Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means
    >> that anyone without a user account on the target system can use its
    >> resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    >> matters in your situation.
    >>
    >> Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    >> home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
    >> folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
    >> Shared Documents folder.- Hide quoted text -

    > Jack and Lem, thank you for your answers.
    >
    > Lem: I have now set the computers with the ip-address 192.168.1.10 and
    > 192.168.1.15 and the sub as 255.255.255.0,
    >
    > but how can i set the ip-addresses as trusted ? Do you mean in

    Not in IE. That part of the post refers to third-party firewalls. You
    have to configure whatever third-party firewall you may be using to
    permit traffic. If you have no third-party firewall, you should be OK,
    because the Network Setup Wizard should have properly configured the
    WinXP firewall. If you're still having problems, I suggest uninstalling
    ANY third-party firewall or firewall-like software. Once you get things
    working, you can re-install, if you want that additional level of
    protection.

    If you are CERTAIN that you have no third-party firewall software
    installed, then you can ignore that part of the post and pick up with
    the Note about the Guest account and the info that follows concerning
    how to share in Win XP Pro.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  7. Re: ieee1394 connection problem

    On Feb 20, 8:09 pm, Lem wrote:
> [...]

    > > 192.168.1.15 and the sub as 255.255.255.0,

    > > but how can i set the ip-addresses as trusted ? Do you mean in
    > > Internet Explorer ?

    > Not in IE. That part of the post refers to third-party firewalls. You
    > have to configure whatever third-party firewall you may be using to
    > permit traffic. If you have no third-party firewall, you should be OK,
    > because the Network Setup Wizard should have properly configured the
    > WinXP firewall. If you're still havingproblems, I suggest uninstalling
    > ANY third-party firewall or firewall-like software. Once you get things
    > working, you can re-install, if you want that additional level of
    > protection.
    >
    > If you are CERTAIN that you have no third-party firewall software
    > installed, then you can ignore that part of the post and pick up with
    > the Note about the Guest account and the info that follows concerning

    Symantec Client Security with firewall is "disable" on both laptops

    FYI ( both laptops running WinXP Pro )

    Could the problem be that one of the laptops is a part of a domain and
    the laptop is not ?

+ Reply to Thread