new laptop - Wireless

This is a discussion on new laptop - Wireless ; hi what can i say i am a woman with her very first laptop and i dont know how to set it up to get internet i want to keep the main pc for the kids and use laptop myself ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. new laptop

    hi what can i say i am a woman with her very first laptop and i dont know how
    to set it up to get internet i want to keep the main pc for the kids and use
    laptop myself i brought a netgear wireless router and need help in setting it
    up please but gotta start from basic beginning

  2. Re: new laptop

    "leolady" wrote in message
    > hi what can i say i am a woman with her very first laptop and i dont know
    > how
    > to set it up to get internet i want to keep the main pc for the kids and
    > use
    > laptop myself i brought a netgear wireless router and need help in setting
    > it
    > up please but gotta start from basic beginning

    Assuming that you are using a DSL connection:

    Connect the cable from the DSL modem to the input port on the router.
    Connect an ethernet cable from one of the output ports on the router to the
    ethernet port on your desktop. The router manual should show which is
    which, and the manual for your desktop show show the location of the
    ethernet port.

    The router manual should tell you how to access the router. These days, a
    setup CD comes with the router, and you should use it. The software on the
    CD should setup both desktop and router. During the setup, you may be
    asked if you want to make a disk to setup other computers. If so, answer
    yes. Also, during the router setup, you will be asked about Wireless
    security. Select WPA, and make a careful note of the key.

    Now, logon to the laptop. If you made the above disk, then insert it in
    the correct slot in the laptop and allow it to do a lot of the work After
    the disk completes its tasks, execute the Wireless Network Setup Wizard to
    finish the job. You will be asked for the wireless key, and enter it
    carefully and correctly. The two pieces of hardware will not connect if the
    keys do not match. The router will display the key after the setup is done.

    The best suggestion I can make is to read the manuals very carefully before
    starting this task.

    Jim

  3. Re: new laptop

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "leolady" wrote in message
    > hi what can i say i am a woman with her very first laptop and i dont know
    > how
    > to set it up to get internet i want to keep the main pc for the kids and
    > use
    > laptop myself i brought a netgear wireless router and need help in setting
    > it
    > up please but gotta start from basic beginning

  4. RE: new laptop

    "leolady" wrote:

    > hi what can i say i am a woman with her very first laptop and i dont know how
    > to set it up to get internet i want to keep the main pc for the kids and use
    > laptop myself i brought a netgear wireless router and need help in setting it
    > up please but gotta start from basic beginning

    Hi.
    First does your Laptop came with a Wireless capability (i.e have wireless
    built-in) or you will have a USB wireless installed?.
    You need to Connect the Telephone cable then the Power cable to the router
    and then the Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports and then Power Up the
    Router and then the Laptop, do not connect both PC and Laptop at once just
    the Laptop then you can Add the PC after that.
    Then start the Set up wizard by inserting your Router CD installation.
    These step the same as the one will be mentioned later on setup.
    =====
    By typing the IP: 192.168.0.1 click [ok] or Hit Enter;
    You will get Login into the router:
    Before you can change any settings, you need to log in with a password. if
    you have not yet....
    Password> [ usually blank ]
    Default = Leave blank

    [ Clear ] [Submit ]

    Set up wizard:
    Wizard > 1. Connection Type
    The following information are provided by your ISP.
    ( ) PPPOE
    ( ) PPPOA
    ( ) Disable

    Select the appropriate one and click
    [ Next ]
    -------
    Wizard > 2.Parameter Setting
    The following Info are usually provided by your ISP.

    ]
    >VPI/VCI: [ ] / [ ]

    Click Apply and you will get Configuration Parameters recheck them and click
    Apply to apply.

    --------
    On the Router Home page click on the following to make changes:
    LAN Settings
    IP Address > [192]. [168].[0].[1]
    More Info
    ______________________________
    Subnet Mask > 255.255.255.0
    _____________________________
    DHCP server > (*) ON ( ) OFF

    IP Pool starting Address> [192].[168].[0].[2]
    IP Pool Ending Address > [192].[168].[0].[100]

    ________
    Lease leave as is
    ___________
    Domain [ NetGearHome ]

    Click on Internet WAN, then on Connection Type:
    WAN > Connection Type
    Select your connection type:
    ( ) PPPoE
    ( ) PPPoA
    ( ) Disable IS (Bridge mode.....)
    ( ) Multiple Protocol Over
    Make your selection and click Next.

    WAN > Connection Type> Whichever your selection was

    User Name>
    Password>
    Retype>
    IP assigned by ISP> [Yes ▼]
    IP Address> 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask> 0.0.0.0
    VPI/VCI [ 0]/ [ ] these according to your location and your ISP
    Encapsulation> [ LLC ▼]
    Dial On Demand [√]
    Idle Time (minute)> [0] or leave Blank

    Click Apply changes
    -----------------------
    WAN > DNS

    [√] Automatic from ISP

    DNS address > [0].[0].[0].[0]
    Secondary DNS Address> [0].[0].[0].[0]

    Click Apply changes
    ---------------------------
    Wireless Option:
    Wireless > Channel and SSID
    To make changes to the wireless.......................................... ..
    changes to save the settings

    Wireless Channel> [6 ▼]
    SSID > [type your Network name give a unique name] write
    this down on a piece of paper instated of the default one like belkin54g.
    ESSID Broadcast ( ) Enable (*) Disable select the disable Radio
    button
    Wireless Mode > [ (11b + 11g) ▼]
    Transmission Rate> [Automatic ▼]
    g Nitro> ( ) Enable ( ) Disable

    The above step is the most sensitive you need to set it Right to get your
    Network secure from your neighborhood and from the Internet (WWW)

    Wireless > Security > WPA
    WPA > [ WPA-PSK (no server) ▼]
    Encryption technique TKIP
    Pre-shared Key (PSK) [ Type a memorable sentence you only can guess ]

    [√ ] obscure PSK check this to Hash your Password.
    Click Apply changes.
    -----------------
    Click Firewall;
    Firewall>
    blah............................blah.............. ...................................
    Firewall Enable / Disable (*) Enable ( ) Disable
    Click Apply Changes
    Now you are done.
    With CD there is a PDF doc for setting up you can read this.
    How to setup wireless router
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../wireless.mspx
    4 steps to set up your home wireless network
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...lesssetup.mspx

    HTH.
    Let us know.
    Regards,
    nass
    -----------
    www.nasstec.co.uk

  5. Re: new laptop

    i did try and got a signal on laptop but not enough to get my internet
    working ..could you please tell me if i have to install my blueyonder disc in
    the laptop because i tried that and it stopped me saying something about a
    firewall

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > May be this can Help.
    > My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Wireless, Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "leolady" wrote in message
    > > hi what can i say i am a woman with her very first laptop and i dont know
    > > how
    > > to set it up to get internet i want to keep the main pc for the kids and
    > > use
    > > laptop myself i brought a netgear wireless router and need help in setting
    > > it
    > > up please but gotta start from basic beginning

  6. RE: new laptop

    thanx for the response it looks so hard to do i was quoted £55 to call
    someone out but i will try your advice and see if that helps and will let u
    know

    "nass" wrote:

> [...]

    > Network secure from your neighborhood and from the Internet (WWW)
    >

    > Wireless > Security > WPA
    > WPA > [ WPA-PSK (no server) ▼]
    > Encryption technique TKIP
    > Pre-shared Key (PSK) [ Type a memorable sentence you only can guess ]
    >

    > [√ ] obscure PSK check this to Hash your Password.
    > Click Apply changes.
    > -----------------
    > Click Firewall;
    > Firewall>
    > blah............................blah.............. ...................................
    > Firewall Enable / Disable (*) Enable ( ) Disable
    > Click Apply Changes
    > Now you are done.
    > With CD there is a PDF doc for setting up you can read this.
    > How to setup wireless router
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../wireless.mspx
    > 4 steps to set up your home wireless network

  7. RE: new laptop

    Just wait a second, do you want to add the Laptop to the wireless Router?.
    And you already have the router setup on the other PC, is that right?
    Then try this on the Laptop:
    Double click the two monitor on the notification area and on the Network
    connections Right click and select Properties, then click on General tab.
    Highlight the Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click Properties and be sure
    that the Laptop getting the Auto IP address.
    Click OK to close the TCP/IP window and back to the Wireless Network
    connection properties window, click on Wireless Network Tab and be sure these
    Input boxes filled in with the Right Info like:
    [ ] Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check this box
    if you don't have an utility to manage your wireless connection.

    Preferred networks:

    LadyWireless (say 4 Exmp)

    If there are any other Wireless networks there remove them and select your
    Wireless (SSID) name and click Properties.
    On LadyWireless Properties Fill or be sure these Input Text boxes are
    filled with the correct details which you set on your Router:
    Network name: [ LadyWireless ]

    ¬Wireless network Key--------------
    Network Authentication : [ Open /Shared/WPA/WPA-PSK ][v]
    Data encryption : [ WEP/WPA/Disabled ][v]

    Network key : [ Type the Key been set on the router/Hub ]
    Confirm network Key: [ Retype the key ]

    Click OK when Finished and close the Wireless Connections Window and Reboot
    your machine and see if that get you solid/consistent Signal on your Laptop.

    Bear in mind the Built-In Wireless not that powerful if you have the
    Wireless Router
    behind obstacles such as Solid Concrete walls and in a hidden cabin/cupboard
    or far away from the Wireless access point/Wireless Router.
    So to be sure of that take your laptop near from AP and try there and see if
    you will get strong signal.

    You may have a busy neighboring hood with lots of wireless so try to change
    your Wireless channel from the famous (11) to something like 4 or 5 or 6 and
    see if that will ease the congestion on your signal.
    Hope I understood you correctly.
    Regards,
    nass

    "leolady" wrote:

> [...]

    > > Network secure from your neighborhood and from the Internet (WWW)
    > >

    > > Wireless > Security > WPA
    > > WPA > [ WPA-PSK (no server) ▼]
    > > Encryption technique TKIP
    > > Pre-shared Key (PSK) [ Type a memorable sentence you only can guess ]
    > >

    > > [√ ] obscure PSK check this to Hash your Password.
    > > Click Apply changes.
    > > -----------------
    > > Click Firewall;
    > > Firewall>
    > > blah............................blah.............. ...................................
    > > Firewall Enable / Disable (*) Enable ( ) Disable
    > > Click Apply Changes
    > > Now you are done.
    > > With CD there is a PDF doc for setting up you can read this.
    > > How to setup wireless router
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../wireless.mspx
    > > 4 steps to set up your home wireless network

  8. Re: new laptop

    Hi
    First set the Router and the Kids computer and make sure that it can use the
    Internet through the Router.
    Then configure the Router's Wireless part manually using the Kid's computer.
    Next configure the Wireless manually on the laptop (you probably do not need
    to use the CD). If you get a Firewall message disable temporarily WinXP
    Firewall.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "leolady" wrote in message
    >i did try and got a signal on laptop but not enough to get my internet
    > working ..could you please tell me if i have to install my blueyonder disc
    > in
    > the laptop because i tried that and it stopped me saying something about a
    > firewall
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> May be this can Help.
    >> My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >> Wireless, Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "leolady" wrote in message
    >> > hi what can i say i am a woman with her very first laptop and i dont
    >> > know
    >> > how
    >> > to set it up to get internet i want to keep the main pc for the kids
    >> > and
    >> > use
    >> > laptop myself i brought a netgear wireless router and need help in
    >> > setting
    >> > it
    >> > up please but gotta start from basic beginning

  9. RE: new laptop

    hi nass no my router is not set up at all yet i am just using the modem for
    main pc

    "nass" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > Network secure from your neighborhood and from the Internet (WWW)
    > > >

    > > > Wireless > Security > WPA
    > > > WPA > [ WPA-PSK (no server) ▼]
    > > > Encryption technique TKIP
    > > > Pre-shared Key (PSK) [ Type a memorable sentence you only can guess ]
    > > >

    > > > [√ ] obscure PSK check this to Hash your Password.
    > > > Click Apply changes.
    > > > -----------------
    > > > Click Firewall;
    > > > Firewall>
    > > > blah............................blah.............. ...................................
    > > > Firewall Enable / Disable (*) Enable ( ) Disable
    > > > Click Apply Changes
    > > > Now you are done.
    > > > With CD there is a PDF doc for setting up you can read this.
    > > > How to setup wireless router
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../wireless.mspx
    > > > 4 steps to set up your home wireless network

  10. RE: new laptop

    right i have connected my router and all i am picking up is 82% signal and it
    says my network connection is connected but still cant acsess the internet

    "leolady" wrote:

    > hi nass no my router is not set up at all yet i am just using the modem for
    > main pc
    >
    > "nass" wrote:
    >
    > > Just wait a second, do you want to add the Laptop to the wireless Router?.
    > > And you already have the router setup on the other PC, is that right?
    > > Then try this on the Laptop:
    > > Double click the two monitor on the notification area and on the Network
    > > connections Right click and select Properties, then click on General tab.
    > > Highlight the Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click Properties and be sure
    > > that the Laptop getting the Auto IP address.
    > > Click OK to close the TCP/IP window and back to the Wireless Network
    > > connection properties window, click on Wireless Network Tab and be sure these
    > > Input boxes filled in with the Right Info like:
    > > [ ] Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check this box
    > > if you don't have an utility to manage your wireless connection.
    > >
    > > Preferred networks:
    > >
    > > LadyWireless (say 4 Exmp)
    > >
    > > If there are any other Wireless networks there remove them and select your
    > > Wireless (SSID) name and click Properties.
    > > On LadyWireless Properties Fill or be sure these Input Text boxes are
    > > filled with the correct details which you set on your Router:
    > > Network name: [ LadyWireless ]
    > >
    > > ¬Wireless network Key--------------
    > > Network Authentication : [ Open /Shared/WPA/WPA-PSK ][v]
    > > Data encryption : [ WEP/WPA/Disabled ][v]
    > >
    > > Network key : [ Type the Key been set on the router/Hub ]
    > > Confirm network Key: [ Retype the key ]
    > >
    > > Click OK when Finished and close the Wireless Connections Window and Reboot
    > > your machine and see if that get you solid/consistent Signal on your Laptop.
    > >
    > > Bear in mind the Built-In Wireless not that powerful if you have the
    > > Wireless Router
    > > behind obstacles such as Solid Concrete walls and in a hidden cabin/cupboard
    > > or far away from the Wireless access point/Wireless Router.
    > > So to be sure of that take your laptop near from AP and try there and see if
    > > you will get strong signal.
    > >
    > > You may have a busy neighboring hood with lots of wireless so try to change
    > > your Wireless channel from the famous (11) to something like 4 or 5 or 6 and
    > > see if that will ease the congestion on your signal.
    > > Hope I understood you correctly.
    > > Regards,
    > > nass
    > >
    > > "leolady" wrote:
    > >
    > > > thanx for the response it looks so hard to do i was quoted £55 to call
    > > > someone out but i will try your advice and see if that helps and will let u
    > > > know

  11. RE: new laptop

    Does it gives you an error message and what Anti-virus you have installed,
    did you make the set-up on the laptop as I suggested or the Kids PC?.
    Tell us on the Set-up you made just to be sure we all in the right
    direction, you done the set-up through the Wizard and Enabled the wireless on
    the Router and assigned an Encryption Key to secure your Wireless?.
    Double click your Wireless Icon on the Notification Area and right click it,
    select properties.
    click on Wireless Network Tab and click the View available wireless
    Networks, see if your Wireless name among or is there, you can remove other
    wireless or you can Add your wireless Network and input the Details you
    created on the Router for the Wireless (SSID, Encryption,Channel ).
    Best if you get the Laptop near the Router to avoid any interference then we
    can decide if the Wireless built-in strong enough to pick up the signal, say
    in another Room (If you have the laptop Upstairs you will need Extra wall
    AP/Amplifier to boost the signal) .
    HTH.
    nass

    "leolady" wrote:

    > right i have connected my router and all i am picking up is 82% signal and it
    > says my network connection is connected but still cant acsess the internet
    >
    > "leolady" wrote:
    >
    > > hi nass no my router is not set up at all yet i am just using the modem for
    > > main pc
    > >
    > > "nass" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Just wait a second, do you want to add the Laptop to the wireless Router?.
    > > > And you already have the router setup on the other PC, is that right?
    > > > Then try this on the Laptop:
    > > > Double click the two monitor on the notification area and on the Network
    > > > connections Right click and select Properties, then click on General tab.
    > > > Highlight the Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click Properties and be sure
    > > > that the Laptop getting the Auto IP address.
    > > > Click OK to close the TCP/IP window and back to the Wireless Network
    > > > connection properties window, click on Wireless Network Tab and be sure these
    > > > Input boxes filled in with the Right Info like:
    > > > [ ] Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check this box
    > > > if you don't have an utility to manage your wireless connection.
    > > >
    > > > Preferred networks:
    > > >
    > > > LadyWireless (say 4 Exmp)
    > > >
    > > > If there are any other Wireless networks there remove them and select your
    > > > Wireless (SSID) name and click Properties.
    > > > On LadyWireless Properties Fill or be sure these Input Text boxes are
    > > > filled with the correct details which you set on your Router:
    > > > Network name: [ LadyWireless ]
    > > >
    > > > ¬Wireless network Key--------------
    > > > Network Authentication : [ Open /Shared/WPA/WPA-PSK ][v]
    > > > Data encryption : [ WEP/WPA/Disabled ][v]
    > > >
    > > > Network key : [ Type the Key been set on the router/Hub ]
    > > > Confirm network Key: [ Retype the key ]
    > > >
    > > > Click OK when Finished and close the Wireless Connections Window and Reboot
    > > > your machine and see if that get you solid/consistent Signal on your Laptop.
    > > >
    > > > Bear in mind the Built-In Wireless not that powerful if you have the
    > > > Wireless Router
    > > > behind obstacles such as Solid Concrete walls and in a hidden cabin/cupboard
    > > > or far away from the Wireless access point/Wireless Router.
    > > > So to be sure of that take your laptop near from AP and try there and see if
    > > > you will get strong signal.
    > > >
    > > > You may have a busy neighboring hood with lots of wireless so try to change
    > > > your Wireless channel from the famous (11) to something like 4 or 5 or 6 and
    > > > see if that will ease the congestion on your signal.
    > > > Hope I understood you correctly.
    > > > Regards,
    > > > nass

  12. RE: new laptop

    i was messing about earlier and i got 100% signal and it says network
    conection 2 is connected but i still cant acsess a internet page i think my
    ip address is different on both pc and laptop ?

    "nass" wrote:

    > Does it gives you an error message and what Anti-virus you have installed,
    > did you make the set-up on the laptop as I suggested or the Kids PC?.
    > Tell us on the Set-up you made just to be sure we all in the right
    > direction, you done the set-up through the Wizard and Enabled the wireless on
    > the Router and assigned an Encryption Key to secure your Wireless?.
    > Double click your Wireless Icon on the Notification Area and right click it,
    > select properties.
    > click on Wireless Network Tab and click the View available wireless
    > Networks, see if your Wireless name among or is there, you can remove other
    > wireless or you can Add your wireless Network and input the Details you
    > created on the Router for the Wireless (SSID, Encryption,Channel ).
    > Best if you get the Laptop near the Router to avoid any interference then we
    > can decide if the Wireless built-in strong enough to pick up the signal, say
    > in another Room (If you have the laptop Upstairs you will need Extra wall
    > AP/Amplifier to boost the signal) .
    > HTH.
    > nass
    >
    > "leolady" wrote:
    >
    > > right i have connected my router and all i am picking up is 82% signal and it
    > > says my network connection is connected but still cant acsess the internet
    > >
    > > "leolady" wrote:
    > >
    > > > hi nass no my router is not set up at all yet i am just using the modem for
    > > > main pc

  13. RE: new laptop

    How connection2?, did you picked up your neighbour connection try to Click
    Refresh and find your wireless network name and click Connect.
    How different they are, if you have a range of 192.168.0.2 on the Pc if you
    connect the PC first and your laptop should be assigned 192.168.0.X higher
    than (2).
    What you can see when you double click the wireless Icon on the Notification
    area and also when you open the Wireless connection in the Network
    connections window?.

    "leolady" wrote:

    > i was messing about earlier and i got 100% signal and it says network
    > conection 2 is connected but i still cant acsess a internet page i think my
    > ip address is different on both pc and laptop ?
    >
    > "nass" wrote:
    >
    > > Does it gives you an error message and what Anti-virus you have installed,
    > > did you make the set-up on the laptop as I suggested or the Kids PC?.
    > > Tell us on the Set-up you made just to be sure we all in the right
    > > direction, you done the set-up through the Wizard and Enabled the wireless on
    > > the Router and assigned an Encryption Key to secure your Wireless?.
    > > Double click your Wireless Icon on the Notification Area and right click it,
    > > select properties.
    > > click on Wireless Network Tab and click the View available wireless
    > > Networks, see if your Wireless name among or is there, you can remove other
    > > wireless or you can Add your wireless Network and input the Details you
    > > created on the Router for the Wireless (SSID, Encryption,Channel ).
    > > Best if you get the Laptop near the Router to avoid any interference then we
    > > can decide if the Wireless built-in strong enough to pick up the signal, say
    > > in another Room (If you have the laptop Upstairs you will need Extra wall
    > > AP/Amplifier to boost the signal) .
    > > HTH.
    > > nass
    > >
    > > "leolady" wrote:
    > >
    > > > right i have connected my router and all i am picking up is 82% signal and it
    > > > says my network connection is connected but still cant acsess the internet

  14. RE: new laptop

    i had 0.0.0.0

    "nass" wrote:

    > How connection2?, did you picked up your neighbour connection try to Click
    > Refresh and find your wireless network name and click Connect.
    > How different they are, if you have a range of 192.168.0.2 on the Pc if you
    > connect the PC first and your laptop should be assigned 192.168.0.X higher
    > than (2).
    > What you can see when you double click the wireless Icon on the Notification
    > area and also when you open the Wireless connection in the Network
    > connections window?.
    >

    > "leolady" wrote:
    >
    > > i was messing about earlier and i got 100% signal and it says network
    > > conection 2 is connected but i still cant acsess a internet page i think my
    > > ip address is different on both pc and laptop ?
    > >
    > > "nass" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does it gives you an error message and what Anti-virus you have installed,
    > > > did you make the set-up on the laptop as I suggested or the Kids PC?.
    > > > Tell us on the Set-up you made just to be sure we all in the right
    > > > direction, you done the set-up through the Wizard and Enabled the wireless on
    > > > the Router and assigned an Encryption Key to secure your Wireless?.
    > > > Double click your Wireless Icon on the Notification Area and right click it,
    > > > select properties.
    > > > click on Wireless Network Tab and click the View available wireless
    > > > Networks, see if your Wireless name among or is there, you can remove other
    > > > wireless or you can Add your wireless Network and input the Details you
    > > > created on the Router for the Wireless (SSID, Encryption,Channel ).
    > > > Best if you get the Laptop near the Router to avoid any interference then we
    > > > can decide if the Wireless built-in strong enough to pick up the signal, say
    > > > in another Room (If you have the laptop Upstairs you will need Extra wall
    > > > AP/Amplifier to boost the signal) .
    > > > HTH.
    > > > nass

  15. RE: new laptop

    Try to turn OFF the firewall and check mark the Let windows manage this
    wireless network if you didn't install the Wireless utility, it means you are
    not or your wireless not talking to the Wireless Router.
    What you can see if you gone to the Wireless connection properties there?.
    Also does the settings on the wireless connection on the laptop
    matching/Entered correctly on it as been typed on the Router configuration
    page?.
    Also be sure the Wireless Zero Configuration in the services are running
    Auto by opening a Run Command and type in:
    services.msc click [OK] and there scroll down to it and start it Auto.
    HTH.
    Let us know

    "leolady" wrote:

    > i had 0.0.0.0
    >
    > "nass" wrote:
    >
    > > How connection2?, did you picked up your neighbour connection try to Click
    > > Refresh and find your wireless network name and click Connect.
    > > How different they are, if you have a range of 192.168.0.2 on the Pc if you
    > > connect the PC first and your laptop should be assigned 192.168.0.X higher
    > > than (2).
    > > What you can see when you double click the wireless Icon on the Notification
    > > area and also when you open the Wireless connection in the Network
    > > connections window?.
    > >

    > > "leolady" wrote:
    > >
    > > > i was messing about earlier and i got 100% signal and it says network
    > > > conection 2 is connected but i still cant acsess a internet page i think my
    > > > ip address is different on both pc and laptop ?

  16. RE: new laptop

    i am so thick i just dont think i can do it i am getting really stressed...lol

    "nass" wrote:

    > Try to turn OFF the firewall and check mark the Let windows manage this
    > wireless network if you didn't install the Wireless utility, it means you are
    > not or your wireless not talking to the Wireless Router.
    > What you can see if you gone to the Wireless connection properties there?.
    > Also does the settings on the wireless connection on the laptop
    > matching/Entered correctly on it as been typed on the Router configuration
    > page?.
    > Also be sure the Wireless Zero Configuration in the services are running
    > Auto by opening a Run Command and type in:
    > services.msc click [OK] and there scroll down to it and start it Auto.
    > HTH.
    > Let us know
    >
    > "leolady" wrote:
    >
    > > i had 0.0.0.0
    > >
    > > "nass" wrote:
    > >
    > > > How connection2?, did you picked up your neighbour connection try to Click
    > > > Refresh and find your wireless network name and click Connect.
    > > > How different they are, if you have a range of 192.168.0.2 on the Pc if you
    > > > connect the PC first and your laptop should be assigned 192.168.0.X higher
    > > > than (2).
    > > > What you can see when you double click the wireless Icon on the Notification
    > > > area and also when you open the Wireless connection in the Network
    > > > connections window?.

  17. RE: new laptop

    Well get the Pro to do it for you, sorry I can't make easier than this.
    Good luck.
    Regards,
    nass

    "leolady" wrote:

    > i am so thick i just dont think i can do it i am getting really stressed...lol
    >
    > "nass" wrote:
    >

    > > Try to turn OFF the firewall and check mark the Let windows manage this
    > > wireless network if you didn't install the Wireless utility, it means you are
    > > not or your wireless not talking to the Wireless Router.
    > > What you can see if you gone to the Wireless connection properties there?.
    > > Also does the settings on the wireless connection on the laptop
    > > matching/Entered correctly on it as been typed on the Router configuration
    > > page?.
    > > Also be sure the Wireless Zero Configuration in the services are running
    > > Auto by opening a Run Command and type in:
    > > services.msc click [OK] and there scroll down to it and start it Auto.
    > > HTH.
    > > Let us know
    > >
    > > "leolady" wrote:
    > >
    > > > i had 0.0.0.0

  18. Re: new laptop

    Perhaps I can help if you are still willing to try?

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    "leolady" wrote in message
    >i had 0.0.0.0
    >
    > "nass" wrote:
    >
    >> How connection2?, did you picked up your neighbour connection try to
    >> Click
    >> Refresh and find your wireless network name and click Connect.
    >> How different they are, if you have a range of 192.168.0.2 on the Pc if
    >> you
    >> connect the PC first and your laptop should be assigned 192.168.0.X
    >> higher
    >> than (2).
    >> What you can see when you double click the wireless Icon on the
    >> Notification
    >> area and also when you open the Wireless connection in the Network
    >> connections window?.
    >>

    >> "leolady" wrote:
    >>
    >> > i was messing about earlier and i got 100% signal and it says network
    >> > conection 2 is connected but i still cant acsess a internet page i
    >> > think my
    >> > ip address is different on both pc and laptop ?

  19. RE: new laptop

    thanx for all ur help nass

    "nass" wrote:

    > Well get the Pro to do it for you, sorry I can't make easier than this.
    > Good luck.
    > Regards,
    > nass
    >
    > "leolady" wrote:
    >
    > > i am so thick i just dont think i can do it i am getting really stressed...lol
    > >
    > > "nass" wrote:
    > >

    > > > Try to turn OFF the firewall and check mark the Let windows manage this
    > > > wireless network if you didn't install the Wireless utility, it means you are
    > > > not or your wireless not talking to the Wireless Router.
    > > > What you can see if you gone to the Wireless connection properties there?.
    > > > Also does the settings on the wireless connection on the laptop
    > > > matching/Entered correctly on it as been typed on the Router configuration
    > > > page?.
    > > > Also be sure the Wireless Zero Configuration in the services are running
    > > > Auto by opening a Run Command and type in:
    > > > services.msc click [OK] and there scroll down to it and start it Auto.
    > > > HTH.

  20. Re: new laptop

    i am willing to give anything a go