new laptop - Wireless

This is a discussion on new laptop - Wireless ; Ok can you tell me about your wireless router, the make and model number, then tell me about your broad band connection, how are you connecting to the Internet? Does your laptop have both a wired connection and a wireless ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

  1. Re: new laptop

    Ok can you tell me about your wireless router, the make and model number,
    then tell me about your broad band connection, how are you connecting to the
    Internet? Does your laptop have both a wired connection and a wireless
    network connection? Or does it only support a wireless connection?

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    "leolady" wrote in message
    >i am willing to give anything a go
    >
    > "David Hettel" wrote:
    >
    >> Perhaps I can help if you are still willing to try?
    >>

    >> --
    >> David Hettel
    >>
    >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    >> everyone
    >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    >> in
    >> E-mail or news groups.

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
    >> kind,
    >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
    >> reliability
    >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    >> or
    >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
    >> confers
    >> no rights.
    >>

    >> "leolady" wrote in message
    >> >i had 0.0.0.0

  2. Re: new laptop

    hi my router is a netgear WGT624 its called a wireless router i am using
    telewest cable blueyonder broadband and i connect by a modem i know my
    laptop is called a FUJITSU SIEMENS i know its wireless and i have a wire then
    to charge it up ...hope that answers your questions

    "David Hettel" wrote:

    > Ok can you tell me about your wireless router, the make and model number,
    > then tell me about your broad band connection, how are you connecting to the
    > Internet? Does your laptop have both a wired connection and a wireless
    > network connection? Or does it only support a wireless connection?
    >
    > --
    > David Hettel

    > E-mail or news groups.

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    > no rights.
    >

    > "leolady" wrote in message
    > >i am willing to give anything a go
    > >
    > > "David Hettel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Perhaps I can help if you are still willing to try?
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> David Hettel
    > >>
    > >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    > >> everyone
    > >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    > >> in
    > >> E-mail or news groups.
    > >>
    > >> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >>
    > >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
    > >> kind,
    > >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
    > >> reliability
    > >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    > >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    > >> or
    > >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
    > >> confers
    > >> no rights.
    > >>

    > >> "leolady" wrote in message

  3. Re: new laptop

    Ok I decided to start fresh here.

    You have your high speed modem connected to your WGT624 by RJ45 cable to the
    WGT624 WAN port (the one next to the antenna).
    If you try to go to www.routerlogin.com or www.routerlogin.net do you reach
    your router's login page? What if you use http://192.168.0.1 ? There are two
    ways to connect to your router, either by a wireless connection, or by
    plugging a wire into one of the four ports that are together on the back of
    your router, This page has a picture of your router and the connections on
    the back of it,
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...rs/WGT624.aspx
    It is much easier when attempting to setup the router to initially set it up
    using a wire connection, so I strongly recommend that for the setup of the
    router you use a computer that is wired to the WGT624 rather than one using
    a wireless connection.
    --

    "leolady" wrote in message
    > hi what can i say i am a woman with her very first laptop and i dont know
    > how
    > to set it up to get internet i want to keep the main pc for the kids and
    > use
    > laptop myself i brought a netgear wireless router and need help in setting
    > it
    > up please but gotta start from basic beginning

  4. Re: new laptop

    shall i plug main pc into router?

    "David Hettel" wrote:

    > Ok I decided to start fresh here.
    >
    > You have your high speed modem connected to your WGT624 by RJ45 cable to the
    > WGT624 WAN port (the one next to the antenna).
    > If you try to go to www.routerlogin.com or www.routerlogin.net do you reach
    > your router's login page? What if you use http://192.168.0.1 ? There are two
    > ways to connect to your router, either by a wireless connection, or by
    > plugging a wire into one of the four ports that are together on the back of
    > your router, This page has a picture of your router and the connections on
    > the back of it,
    > http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...rs/WGT624.aspx
    > It is much easier when attempting to setup the router to initially set it up
    > using a wire connection, so I strongly recommend that for the setup of the
    > router you use a computer that is wired to the WGT624 rather than one using
    > a wireless connection.
    > --
    > David Hettel

    > E-mail or news groups.

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    > no rights.
    >

    > "leolady" wrote in message
    > > hi what can i say i am a woman with her very first laptop and i dont know
    > > how
    > > to set it up to get internet i want to keep the main pc for the kids and
    > > use
    > > laptop myself i brought a netgear wireless router and need help in setting
    > > it
    > > up please but gotta start from basic beginning

  5. Re: new laptop

    Yes you'll need to plug the main PC into the router to configure the router,
    this will also tell you if the router is configured correctly. You can still
    connect to the internet after rebooting the PC shows that the router is
    configured correctly. If you can't still connect, then the router is not
    configured correctly, and you'll need to unplug from the router, and plug
    back into the modem, and then power up the main pc again. I believe you are
    based in the UK? In the states (where I am) many systems will work the way
    they come out of the box, but not all. You could contact your ISP and ask
    them how you need to configure the router, my assumption is your router
    needs to be configured

    1 Connect the router, modem, and computer as I've described in the above
    post. Can you log on to the router? I gave you three different ways to try
    to connect in my post above. If not then:

    a. Check that all cables attached to the router and computer are secure.
    b. Check the Internet LED is lit. If it is not, troubleshoot light status,
    as explained in the router manual.
    c. Check the LEDs for the ports with cables are lit. If not, move the cable
    to a different port. If there are still no lights, then troubleshoot light
    status, as explained in the router manual.
    d. Check if the LED on the Ethernet adapter is lit. If it is not, then
    troubleshoot the adapter, do not continue this document.
    e. Power off the router.
    f. Power the router on again.
    g. If you still cannot log on to the router, then do a hard reset on the
    router, as described in Forgot or Lost Router Password.
    h. If you still cannot log on to the router, Reconnect the PC to the modem
    as it was and post back here.

    3 If you can connect to the router then run the router's SmartWizard. This
    lets the router discover whether you have a static or dynamic IP address,
    and whether you are using PPPoE to connect to your ISP.
    4 If a dynamic IP address is discovered, go to Step 8.
    5 If PPPoE is discovered, configure your router with the username and
    password from your ISP. Click Apply to enter the data. Go to Step 8.
    6 If a static IP address is discovered, configure your router with this
    information given by your ISP: the IP address for your router, the address
    of the ISP's DNS, and the address of the gateway. Click Apply to enter the
    data. Go to Step 8.
    7 If the Smart Wizard does not find an IP address:

    a. Power off the router.
    b. Power off the modem.
    c. Power on the modem.
    d. Power on the router.
    f. Go back to Step 3.

    8 Click Test to access NETGEAR's online test page. If the page displays,
    then you have Internet access!
    9 If the page does not display in a minute, see No Internet With New Router,
    Computer or Adapter: MAC Spoofing.
    10 Find out if the modem's IP address can be seen by looking at the Router's
    Status Page, as described in the manual. If not, then reboot the modem,
    router, and computer, in that order — waiting for each to completely reboot
    before rebooting the next.
    11 If the modem's IP is seen, then there is a problem with your browser's
    settings. Your security may be set too high for the Internet service you are
    trying to use, or your browser may be configured for a dial-up connection.
    In Internet Explorer you check this using Tools > Internet Options >
    Security > Default Level. If the slider is set to "High", change it to
    "Medium". Click Tools > Internet Options > Connections. If the radio buttons
    in the center are not grayed out, then settings for a dial-up connection are
    being used.

    --

    "leolady" wrote in message
    newsDCA11CB-EE61-477F-BF19-0035C4C3D992@microsoft.com...
    > shall i plug main pc into router?
    >
    > "David Hettel" wrote:
    >
    >> Ok I decided to start fresh here.
    >>
    >> You have your high speed modem connected to your WGT624 by RJ45 cable to
    >> the
    >> WGT624 WAN port (the one next to the antenna).
    >> If you try to go to www.routerlogin.com or www.routerlogin.net do you
    >> reach
    >> your router's login page? What if you use http://192.168.0.1 ? There are
    >> two
    >> ways to connect to your router, either by a wireless connection, or by
    >> plugging a wire into one of the four ports that are together on the back
    >> of
    >> your router, This page has a picture of your router and the connections
    >> on
    >> the back of it,
    >> http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...rs/WGT624.aspx
    >> It is much easier when attempting to setup the router to initially set it
    >> up
    >> using a wire connection, so I strongly recommend that for the setup of
    >> the
    >> router you use a computer that is wired to the WGT624 rather than one
    >> using
    >> a wireless connection.
    >> --
    >> David Hettel
    >>
    >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    >> everyone
    >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    >> in
    >> E-mail or news groups.

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
    >> kind,
    >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
    >> reliability
    >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    >> or
    >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
    >> confers
    >> no rights.
    >>

    >> "leolady" wrote in message
    >> > hi what can i say i am a woman with her very first laptop and i dont
    >> > know
    >> > how
    >> > to set it up to get internet i want to keep the main pc for the kids
    >> > and
    >> > use
    >> > laptop myself i brought a netgear wireless router and need help in
    >> > setting
    >> > it
    >> > up please but gotta start from basic beginning

  6. Re: new laptop

    i have since found out i have not got my modem connected to main pc by
    ethernet only usb but there is an empty port in the back of my modem and main
    pc for a laptop will a lead do it or do i have to buy a router with a usb
    connection ?

    "David Hettel" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> --
    > >> David Hettel
    > >>
    > >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    > >> everyone
    > >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    > >> in
    > >> E-mail or news groups.
    > >>
    > >> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >>
    > >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
    > >> kind,
    > >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
    > >> reliability
    > >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    > >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    > >> or
    > >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and

  7. Re: new laptop

    Ok you'll need to connect the router to the modem by an ethernet cable (one
    normally comes with the router as well as the modem either one should work
    here), and if you wish to share files or the printer between the pc and
    laptop then you'll need to connect the PC to the router by an ethernet cable
    as well. That may or may not mean you'll need to buy a NIC for the PC it
    depends if the PC has a Network Interface Card (NIC) installed in it. If the
    PC doesn't have a NIC installed in it, and you do not wish to open your PC
    case, then look for a usb to ethernet card these generally work good if the
    PC has a USB 2.0 connection, on older PC with USB 1.0 connections it would
    probably be better to install a NIC in the PC.

    --

    "leolady" wrote in message
    news8547693-E70C-474E-A06E-14150B96C28F@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    >> being used.
    >>

    >> --
    >> David Hettel
    >>
    >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    >> everyone
    >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    >> in
    >> E-mail or news groups.

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
    >> kind,
    >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
    >> reliability
    >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    >> or
    >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and

  8. Re: new laptop

    my main pc already has an nic

    "David Hettel" wrote:

> [...]
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> David Hettel
    > >>
    > >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
    > >> everyone
    > >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
    > >> in
    > >> E-mail or news groups.
    > >>
    > >> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >>
    > >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
    > >> kind,
    > >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
    > >> reliability
    > >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    > >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
    > >> or
    > >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and

  9. Re: new laptop

    leolady wrote:
> [...]
    >> "Medium". Click Tools > Internet Options > Connections. If the radio buttons
    >> in the center are not grayed out, then settings for a dial-up connection are
    >> being used.
    >>

    >> --
    >> David Hettel
    >>
    >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for everyone
    >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me in
    >> E-mail or news groups.

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any kind,
    >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy, reliability
    >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of, or
    >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and confers

    Pardon me for jumping in here, but this post seems a bit confused.

    As David has said, the modem should be connected to the router (and only
    the router) with an Ethernet cable and the router ALSO should be
    connected to the main pc (at least for configuration purposes) with an
    Ethernet cable.

    The modem should NOT be directly connected to the main pc. If there is
    a USB connection/cable on the modem, do not use it.

  10. Re: new laptop

    "leolady" wrote:

    > my main pc already has an nic
    >
    > "David Hettel" wrote:
    >
    > > Ok you'll need to connect the router to the modem by an ethernet cable (one
    > > normally comes with the router as well as the modem either one should work
    > > here), and if you wish to share files or the printer between the pc and
    > > laptop then you'll need to connect the PC to the router by an ethernet cable
    > > as well. That may or may not mean you'll need to buy a NIC for the PC it
    > > depends if the PC has a Network Interface Card (NIC) installed in it. If the
    > > PC doesn't have a NIC installed in it, and you do not wish to open your PC
    > > case, then look for a usb to ethernet card these generally work good if the
    > > PC has a USB 2.0 connection, on older PC with USB 1.0 connections it would
    > > probably be better to install a NIC in the PC.
    > >
    > > --
    > > David Hettel
    > >
    > > Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for everyone
    > > to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me in
    > > E-mail or news groups.
    > >
    > > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >
    > > DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any kind,
    > > either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy, reliability
    > > or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
    > > indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of, or
    > > inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and confers
    > > no rights.
    > >

    > > "leolady" wrote in message
    > > news8547693-E70C-474E-A06E-14150B96C28F@microsoft.com...
    > > >i have since found out i have not got my modem connected to main pc by
    > > > ethernet only usb but there is an empty port in the back of my modem and
    > > > main
    > > > pc for a laptop will a lead do it or do i have to buy a router with a usb
    > > > connection ?

    With Respect to David and others, but you are not helping here!, you didn't
    mentioned what steps been taken if at all to make the Helper know exact steps
    and where about you are from connecting to the Internet.

    The Back of your Router (Back panel):

    | LAN Ports:
    WAN: Power
    | __[ ]__ _[ ]__ _[ ]__ ___[ ]__
    __[ ]__ ( O )
    | [________] [_______] [_______] [_________] [_______]

    |_____1__________2_________3__________4___________ _DSL/Cable______________________|

    Now this the back of your Router , Connect the Modem Cable to the WAN Port
    or you can Avid using the Modem at all and Plug in the RJ11 Telephone Cord
    (Gray) you will have in the package:
    = Wireless Router
    = RJ45 Ethernet Networking Cable - Yellow
    = ADSL Microfilter
    = Power Adapter
    = User CD
    = RJ11 Telephone Cord/ Cable (Gray)
    Then Plug the Power Cord/cable to the Router, Connect the RJ45 Ethernet
    Cable (Yellow) to one of the LAN ports on the Router and plug the other End
    in the Ethernet Port on your PC NIC.
    Turn the Router Power ON and Turn your PC (Kids one) ON, put the CD in and
    Run the Wizard to set up or you can bring up your Browser and type in
    192.168.0.1 Hit Enter and your are on the Router Web Interface type the
    password for the router which I think admin or password click next or submit,
    input your user name and password provided by your ISP and click Next and
    follow the wizard.
    Note this Info for the UK:
    Wizard > 1. Connection Ty
    The following information are provided by your ISP.
    ( ) PPPOE
    (* ) PPPOA select this Option
    ( ) Disable

    VPI/VCI [ 0]/ [ 38] these according to your location and your ISP
    > > > Encapsulation> [ LLC ▼]
    > > > Dial On Demand [ ]
    > > > Idle Time (minute)> [0] or leave Blank

    After finishing setting up the Router and enable the Wireless option and
    create a WEP/WPA-PSK authentication Key (which you should right on a piece of
    paper exact ) Run the Wireless Wizard on your Laptop.
    HTH.
    nass

  11. Re: new laptop

    See Below;

    --

    "nass" wrote in message

    > With Respect to David and others, but you are not helping here!, you
    > didn't
    > mentioned what steps been taken if at all to make the Helper know exact
    > steps
    > and where about you are from connecting to the Internet.
    >
    > The Back of your Router (Back panel):
    > __________________________________________________ _______________________
    > |

    > | LAN Ports:
    > WAN: Power
    > | __[ ]__ _[ ]__ _[ ]__ ___[ ]__
    > __[ ]__ (
    > O )
    > | [________] [_______] [_______] [_________] [_______]
    >
    > |_____1__________2_________3__________4___________ _DSL/Cable______________________|
    >
    > Now this the back of your Router , Connect the Modem Cable to the WAN Port
    > or you can Avid using the Modem at all and Plug in the RJ11 Telephone
    > Cord
    > (Gray) you will have in the package:
    > = Wireless Router
    > = RJ45 Ethernet Networking Cable - Yellow
    > = ADSL Microfilter
    > = Power Adapter
    > = User CD
    > = RJ11 Telephone Cord/ Cable (Gray)
    > Then Plug the Power Cord/cable to the Router, Connect the RJ45 Ethernet
    > Cable (Yellow) to one of the LAN ports on the Router and plug the other
    > End
    > in the Ethernet Port on your PC NIC.
    > Turn the Router Power ON and Turn your PC (Kids one) ON, put the CD in and
    > Run the Wizard to set up or you can bring up your Browser and type in
    > 192.168.0.1 Hit Enter and your are on the Router Web Interface type the
    > password for the router which I think admin or password click next or
    > submit,
    > input your user name and password provided by your ISP and click Next and
    > follow the wizard.
    > Note this Info for the UK:
    > Wizard > 1. Connection Ty
    > The following information are provided by your ISP.
    > ( ) PPPOE
    > (* ) PPPOA select this Option
    > ( ) Disable
    >
    > VPI/VCI [ 0]/ [ 38] these according to your location and your ISP

    > After finishing setting up the Router and enable the Wireless option and
    > create a WEP/WPA-PSK authentication Key (which you should right on a piece
    > of
    > paper exact ) Run the Wireless Wizard on your Laptop.
    > HTH.
    > nass

    Well nass that is real nice, just a few little details you seem to have
    missed, that's NOT the back of her router! Now I'll admit I don't have her
    router, and when I look her router up on the internet I find her router
    doesn't support a RJ11 connection, so naturally the back of her router
    doesn't look like your example. Now again I'm not sure, I'm just going by
    what leolady posted but she claims to have cable NOT DSL. Now if leolady
    should happen to be right, cable (as in fiber optic) is not the same as DSL
    as in RJ11. So yes she actually needs her modem. Interestingly enough I was
    under the impression that back in :